Milford Sound to Motu Kaikoura, Part 1

Coubs

So last night I decided I'd have a go at an epic flight across both of New Zealand's islands to get a true feel for my lovely new 182T. Unfortunately for me I hadn't really considered exactly how far my chosen route was going to be so I had to put her down on a strip just south of the channel between to two islands as sleep was calling for me. Hopefully tonight I can pick up where I left off.

Departing Milford at approximately 6:15 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Is that the sun I can see peeking up over the horizon..?

Posted Image

Nice clearish skies over the northern mountains; slight turbulence but nothing major. If only I had REX installed to liven things up a little.

Posted Image

Posted Image

At this point I just have to say that for any of you, like me, that do this for fun rather than realism, Carenado have really nailed the 182T. The model is superb, the G1000 works nicely and manageable both from the VC and the Popup, the dynamics make take-offs and landings a breeze; exactly what I had hoped for. All that remains now is to find a decent NZ registered repaint so I don't have to keep using the blank model over here.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Right. It was about 1:30 AM when I took these shots so I think it may be time to divert before the pilot falls asleep and piles his shiny new Cessna into the verdant scenery... Is that a strip over there to the right?

Posted Image

The co-pilot looks a little concerned about the height at which I'm clearing those trees, I on the other hand, don't seem too bothered.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And down safe. I think we'll just taxi down to the end of the runway an save the flight. I'm sure no-one will mind if I just leave it on those numbers up there...

Posted Image

Archived