List Of All Area Airports

jinx

I would like to know if there is a list of area (region) airports that ORBX has enhanced, apart from the major products and apart from those listed in the individual airport product manuals in passing or as points of interest..

Small airports with a few static objects like Blakeley 38WA--that is the kind of airports I mean, and not the smaller ones --grass or turf strips. The latter ones are well covered in some web sites dedicated to real bush flying and real aviation, as I have recently discovered.

( :mellow: PlanG is a freeware tool that would help anyone discover such airprorts. It has a moving map and is a flight planner and you connect it to FS and it shows the image of your aeroplane on the map and it can do many fascinating things..Tim Arnot is the maker, and it works with both fs9 and fsx. I had been looking for a map like FS Navigator for FSX and finally found this great tool two days ago from a mention in the Misty Scenery forums...)

Such a listt would be quite helpful for many who want to fly and look at something more sizeable than mere turf , dirt, or grass strips.

:blink: If there is not such a list, perhaps a major forum unity could be started where each simmer contributes name and ICAQ code of airports he finds on his flights that fit that size and criteria. Only name and ICAQ code are needed and perhaps FTX AREA or region name...

Eventually the list will get longer and longer and we shall all benefit, including FTX itself. Many FTX flyers discover wonderful small airports or airfields with FTX enhancements as they fly here and there in the blind or on a set flight and which are not listed in the manuals. It would be a lot of work for the FTX people to compile such a list, and we forum members could do it for them and help them and ourselves as well; the list does not have to be complete, but it will soon reach 500-1000 fields listed if the forum administrators promote it and present it in a way that attracts attention and interest. The list would benefit all FTX scenery owners as it would help with the torturous question of WHERE TO FLY NEXT--though it would take away some of the fun of "discover for yourself"....

I think it has good chances of success as a forum project, but I may be wrong, of course.

Best Regards :mellow: :mellow:

Hi,

It would be a lot of work for the FTX people to compile such a list

The FTX people (in this case...me) did create a master list: the Google Earth KMLs showing the region coverage area and all the airports within, you'll find them in your 'User Documents' folder ;)

Cheers

Tim

Howdy,

plus, for the NA regions there are lists in .DOC format available here: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/27223-ftx-north-america-pnw-pfj-nrmcrm-airport-lists/

As for distinguishing larger from medium from smaller airports that's not an easy task and indeed would require input from the community of users as to which ones are particularly interesting (which, of course, is a very subjective assessment).

Cheers, Holger

Regards the larger airports.

(1) What I did in my radar is colour the different sized airports differently ,

Towered airports = orange

untowered airports = green

also

(2) I stuck a nearest airports listing into a MFD , it shows the 16 nearest airports , if you click

on any of those 16 airports it snaps to a detail page on that particular airport detailing

all runway lengths/widths , elevation , full name and location.

It also has a facility whereby you can vary the lengths of airports to be listed ,

for example you might want only runways of 1,600' lengths listed OR

runways of 8,400' lengths.

It only conducts a search up to 250 NM from your aircraft.

It does however have an ICAO entry facility , so if you know the ICAO , you type that

in and full details of that airport are instantly shown.

This gives you access to any of the 24,000 + airports in the database , so you can callup

an airport on the other side of the planet if desired and it will be displayed.

It additionally displays the bearing and distance to all airports listed.

While the above is installed in instruments in a panel it shows that the information you are after

regards size of airports can be obtained .

Cheers

Karol

Posted Image

I thought what I was doing was flight simulation. Guess again Cal, what precedes is a discussion about flight simulation, compared to that what you are doing is flight simplification.

This amount of information would be helpful and undoubtedly creates more realism but I can't find enough time or brain cells so I wonder If I'll ever want this much data. Maybe I'll surprise myself and become so totally consumed by simming that I won't want to fly without it. Of course, that'll happen only after I find more than an hour or two per week to fly. Must be a different world for some of you.

good flights, Cal

Archived