Testing the Limits: I hope this does not bore.

macca22au

A flight from Nelson to Queenstown, this day.

First, taking off over Nelson Harbour with the distinctive Boulder Bank to the leftt, a natural feature protecting the Harbour.

Posted Image

Looking south to the head of the Wairau River (which further north flows with Sauvignon Blanc) and one of the Nelson Lakes.

Posted Image

With ASX real weather - for what we are about to receive!

Posted Image

Now the minimum enroute altitude makes sense, keeps us away from the Cumulus Granitis.

Posted Image

At right angles to the plane along the wing are the Inland Kaikouras (Ranges). and to the left and a little ahead but back separated by a rift are the Seaward Kaikouras. Speccie from the other side.

Posted Image

Like this stuff; A rugged landscape beautifully rendered in NZSI

Posted Image

Descending over Lake Wakatipu, with the Remarkables very close on the port side.

Posted Image

And the Approach Chart takes a bit of figuring out: no wonder airline pilots must have a special endorsement to carry these out. A320s and B737NGX fly straight in from Australia.

Posted Image

Turning onto a curved base leg,

Posted Image

And at last on Final for Runway 05

Posted Image

Thanks Guys, and the chart is the RNAV approach chart. I don't have the waypoints in my sim. There is a more conventional VOR/DME approach. Nonetheless as I did a lot of real world NDB approaches (I am from the Jurassic period), the on-field installation is a great aid for orientation.

Archived