AI not appearing at distance > .25 miles

Rabbit33

Hi,

I recently noticed that the AI aircraft are not appear until with a 1/4 mile of my aircraft. I will see the cycling aircraft name, altitude and distance, but it's not until that 1/4 proximity that I have a visual on the aircraft. Screen #1 shows the cycling ID without the aircraft and 20 sec later the screen #2 show the aircraft.

I am running Xtreme FSX start up add-on and I haven't seen a tweak in augment visual distance for AI.

Thxs as always. -Simon

Thankfully, this is a very easy one to fix! You'll need to edit your fsx.cfg ... and look in the [sCENERY] section for the line SmallPartRejectRadius.

I think the default value is 2, but some tweaks set it to 4 (for speed). I have mine set to either 2 or even 1 sometimes (for when I'm filming air-show videos). Basically, it's an instruction for FSX to not draw anything below that pixel threshold/size - so you can see how it could help speed things up.

Hah! I wondered what those two #numbers were! The setting tripped me up a while back when I was recording an air-show aerobatics video (from a fixed tower P.O.V.). Every time the aircraft headed off after a fast pass, I'd lose it - even when zoomed in fully - then it would magically "pop" back into view.

Thanks for reminding me about this setting. I've just had a look and I've got mine at '2'. However, I can't understand from the above conversation what the difference is if the figure is changed.

I'm lazy and don't want to waste time experimenting, so can you tell me what I should expect by say, raising the figure Adam please?

John

It's the minimum size (in pixels) that FSX will process/draw objects at. So ... if you have it set very high - eg.128px - then it will ignore all objects below 128px big . ie. You'd lose a *lot* of aircraft/scenery objects etc. but your frame-rates will be high :lol:

Similarly - if you set it to 1, FSX will draw absolutely everything - right down to a 1 px dot in the sky - and lower your frame-rate accordingly, as it has to do that much more processing/drawing.

I find the default of 2 generally OK - except when I do videos where the aircraft goes a long way away from the (fixed) camera point. My system is not super (but generally OK) so the 1px setting doesn't crucify me *that* much.

Next time you have to tweak your fsx.cfg for any reason, give SmallPartRejectRadius a stupidly high setting - just for fun. You can always set it back again.

I bet I beat you in the "laziness" stakes!!!

Thanks Adam. I understand it now.

'I bet I beat you in the "laziness" stakes!!'......that's not what my wife would say! ;D

John

Looked in my fsx.cfg [scenery] and don't see any SmallPartRejectRadius item.

Should it be there or is some other FSX setting I might have eliminatijg it?

Have 3 items in the [scenery], Lensflare=1, dawn_dusk_smoothing=1 & image_complexity=5.

My AI also don't show up until I'm almost on them.

Looked in my fsx.cfg [scenery] and don't see any SmallPartRejectRadius item.

Should it be there or is some other FSX setting I might have eliminatijg it?

Have 3 items in the [scenery], Lensflare=1, dawn_dusk_smoothing=1 & image_complexity=5.

My AI also don't show up until I'm almost on them.

I've had that setting in mine for a long time - so really don't know whether it's a default setting or if I added it manually. You may need to add it. I thiink case may be important. Here's my [sCENERY] section (the additional "batching" line could have come as a result of Bojote's tweak):

[sCENERY]

DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1

IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=5

LENSFLARE=0

MAX_ASYNC_BATCHING_JOBS=3

//=======================================================================

SmallPartRejectRadius=1.0

//SmallPartRejectRadius=2 // 2 is DEFAULT - 4 for faster - 1.0 for videos

//=======================================================================

Thanks Adam_NZ. Have added the line SmallPartRejectRadius=1.0 under the fsx.cfg [scenery].

Will do some testing/playing around with this to see if things are better.

Hi guys,

assuming you're all using FSX SP2 or Acceleration it's my understanding that "SmallPartRejectRadius" does no longer work in these later versions of FSX. See http://www.strikingsoftware.com/forum/index.php?topic=614.0 and also http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ptaylor/archive/2007/11/05/additional-issues-in-acceleration-sp2.aspx

More likely, it's "agressive" LODs -- automatically switching to different levels of detail depending on distance to the observer -- that cause those AI models to "pop" in or out. It very much depends on the models used though; what AI models/package are we talking about?

Cheers, Holger

assuming you're all using FSX SP2 or Acceleration it's my understanding that "SmallPartRejectRadius" does no longer work in these later versions of FSX. See http://www.strikings...php?topic=614.0 and also http://blogs.msdn.co...ration-sp2.aspx

More likely, it's "agressive" LODs -- automatically switching to different levels of detail depending on distance to the observer

My system is SP2+Acceleration and I can say 100% that the setting *does* work, as changing the values has an immediate (and noticeable) effect. Sadly, I think it comes down to another example of conflicting advice - all too confusing.

Archived