Questions from Newbie

jinx

This is my first post to the FTX forums. I visited a friend who has some of the addons and he flew in Australia Red somewhere and we could hear birds and crows on the ground. I do not have any of your addons but I was very much impressed.

1.Before I buy any of the products, I would like to know if those bird ande crow sounds are available in other areas such as the Pacific Northwest, where I have lived and would like to fly.

2. Also: In various other forums PACIFIC and NA BLUE PACIFIC FJORDS are mentioned. Are these two the same area addon or are they different. Since I also lived in Portland, Oregon, I saw somewhere that you have that airport. What addon does it come with, and does it require a backgrond mess or terrain or is it a separate independent file?

3. Northern Rocky Mountains? Is that part of 2 above or what? I worked as a mountain lookout in those mountains when I was a student and know many of the peaks well-- Surdough Mt, etc.

Thanks for any help possible.

Hello and welcome to the FTX forums. I try best to help you:

First I explain the structure of ORBX products:

You have large regions with custom landclass (the ground image), autogen (e.g. houses) and mesh. The airports in North America and in New Zealand are improved (e.g.) with 3D grass, new shelters and houses and static aircraft. These regions cover the areas (e.g. in North America: Pacific North West, Pacific Fjords, Northern Rockies and Central Rockies (take a look at the product page (www.fullterrain.com), you'll find .kmz-files for Google Earth)).

ORBX creates detailed airstrips and regional airports. They have (as far as I know...) all custom sounds like birds, cars, airplanes, ringing telefones, people talking to each other... Just take a look at the screenshots at every product page and you'll get an impression how they look like...

If you would like to cover Portland you need Pacific North West. The airport itself is "just" an improved version of the default one. ORBX has not and will not create a detailed version of this airport.

Concerning your third question: Just take a look to the mentioned Google Earth file and see wheather the package covers the mountains you know...

If that was too confusing :D just ask again... I hope this helped a bit...

Cheers, Felix

Welcome to the Orbx community!! It's great to have you! The only thing I'd add to the above post is that the region CRM (Central Rockies) is the only current North American region that doesn't have the 3D grass at its airstrips. Other than that, the rest of the regions do, which is a really great feature. Don't let that suggest that CRM is anything but spectacular though. It is just different in it's own ways is all. All Orbx scenery is hands down the best you'll find anywhere for flying in the sim. I've personally never seen so much hard work and detail get put into products for our flying pleasure as the guys here at FTX do. Weather you first try out their "demo" area and freeware stuff, or dive right in and get going on a few of the regions and airports, I'm sure you'll love it either way. I am positive you'll find this community to be extremely helpful, if you find that you have any other questions or concerns before making your first purchase. As the webiste says (or at least it use to say anyway), the forums have a really great and vibrant community that is amazing to be a part of. I've personally only been here for just over a year now, and loved every moment of it! Welcome!!

Hi jinx, sorry pun intended, but welcome to the FTX forums. You are obviously in north western US. One thing you will come to appreciate is that there are a number of airports in the various areas that are payware improvements to the already high standard airports and much improved FSX default airports as well as the freeware airports that Orbx provides it's customers. That doesn't include the freeware airports from Ozx. You can find them here http://aussiex.org/forum/. All Orbx airports are enhanced beyond anything you regard as the norm for default FSX in your area of interest.

• Thanks for the clairifcations--they do helpl.
I see it is a question of understanding the structure.

A few more points:

What states does Central Rockies include?

And which addon has a telephone that rings and marina sounds?

It would help if I had a list of what each of the major addon areas cover. I understand Australia has a few regions, red, blue, gold, etc.

But my main concern is Canada and the United States--what provinces and what American states.

Thanks in advance for any help. Perhaps some forum posts explain all this--I will look today and see what I can find.

Cheers

Hi Jinx, welcome to the FTX forums

All our regions follow climate areas more than.. say state boundaries

On each of our region pack webpages you'll find a Google Earth KML which is a virtual guide to what the region pack contains and the area it covers, either use Google Earth to open these files or load it into Google Maps http://www.fullterrain.com/

The Central Rocky Mountains regionpack for instance covers parts of Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming states

Posted Image

Cheers

Tim

Archived