Getting A New Keyboard

Charlie P.

So not that I needed to replace my old comfort curve 2000 keyboard or anything. But I went out and got some things I needed from walmart today, and happen to see that they had started carrying the gaming keyboard that you would usually only find in a computer store (micro center, best buy, etc..). Which really surprised me!! Since when did they wake up and realize that there is a big community of computer gamers that is begging to be tapped into?!? Well I just had to get this new fancy keyboard...although I was greatly skeptical that it would feel like any improvement was made at all (especially with a 80 dollar price tag on it...YIKES!!), I have to say that with this new Razer Black Widow gaming keyboard I feel more at home with typing than I ever did before...even now as I type this post, its like a total breeze compared to that other keyboard I was using. I really had no idea that a keyboard could make this much of a difference in the way you feel while typing. I would have to say that since these keys are "mechanical keys", they are considerably louder than the other keyboard I was using, and could do without that noise, but I'm sure I'll get use to it over some time using it. I also noticed that it weighs quite a bit more than my comfort curve 2000 from microsoft...quite a bit more. But nothing that bothers me while having it rest on my lap while typing so far. I can hardly wait to dig into the features that this thing has and see how it fairs while playing some Call Of Duty some time (If I ever get the much needed free time...). I don't know if anyone else has or has thought about upgrading to a "gaming keyboard" or not, but just thought I'd type this post up quick and note that I am very satisfied with the purchase so far, and to nudge anyone thinking about doing it into the direction of actually making the move and doing it (I'm sure that with a community full of gamers like this, that this is probably nothing new to most here). I'd highly recommend making the move! I'll stop rambling on now, just for the sake of typing already LOL.

Sensational choice Charlie P - I decided to go mechanical keyboard with my new rig and chose the very same Razer keyboard you are so clearly praising. It's very tactile, quick and responsive. Built to withstand most natural or man made disasters and you DO eventually get used to the noise : ). I echo your comments 10 out of 10 for me.

Charlie, I hate you man! LOL

What I really need is a mouse. I spilled a glass of water on my wired mouse the other day.

I've never heard of Razor so I looked it up on Amazon they also have a gaming mouse. Are you using the Ultimate Edition keyboard with the backlit keys?

That is the only thing this keybaord doesn't have, is the backlit keys...and am sort of wishing I would have just gotten that one instead. But all in all, I really do love this thing...amazing in so many ways. I'd go with the ultimate edition, like Ken Terry here, and that way you'll have that feature. I am now also looking at getting into one of their mice as well...their products may be a little on the "spendy" side of things, but really are worth every bit they cost. You'll only thank yourself for getting it, once your fingers start hitting those keys. I swear my speed of typing has increased now...not really sure how, but I guess the way a keyboard is designed has a lot more to do with it than I had origonally thought.

The backlight is a must for anyone that does night flights in the dark....Hard to see the keyboard from the dim glow of the LCD screen with no backlight.

Great keyboard there Charlie.

I can echo ytzpilot's comment - the backlit keys on the ultimate edition are really useful in the dark or dim lighting. The backlight has 5 degrees of dimming too. Either way I can highly recommend the Razer gaming keyboards. A fabulous choice Charlie P. 8)

Many thanks for the kind words guys! It would seem that with each keystroke, I fall further and further in love with this thing...I really don't know what or why, but all I know is that I like it. LOL Now to move on to a gaming mouse... :ph34r:

So I know that this post is sort of a week or two old now, but I just figured I'd give an update to what I ended up going witth.

After much consideration, I ended up bringing the Black Widow back to the reurn isle, and ened up going with a Razer Anansi instead. This keyboard not only has the mulit color option back lit keys on it, but also gets rid of the heavy weight that they black widow had, while also having almost silent key strokes too. They back lit keys have a multi color rotational option, while also being able to go in and create your own custom color if you'd like. There are also an additional 7 macro keys that are under the space bar, as well as the origonal 5 that are in the same spot as the black widow. While I was at it, I decided to pick up a gaming mouse too, going with the Razer DeathAdder. That mose in itself is amazing! I never thought I'd be happy with going back to a mouse that wasn't wireless, but I have no regrets going with this puppy! They keyboard itself was only an additonal $20 more than the black widow, and well worth the price for features it brings to the table. Between this keyboard and the new mouse (which also has its own set of really cool features), I think I'm set in this department now. A quick thanks again to eveyone who kept telling me to just go with the back lit keys...it was well worth it!!

Well Ken, I hope the wife is both willing and able to get you each of those items for Christmas this year. I'm not sure if it is just so close to the 4th, or the fact that we are in the middle of summer, but I just don't feel right talking about Christmas just yet. lol

Archived