I need an explanation of REX

PiperFM

So, I'm getting REX (finally, once I get my Phenom II processor, my FS setup will be compete! Muhahahahaha!). I need to know, what should I buy? I was just going to buy the package from FS Pilot Shop (Shipping from anywhere else but there would be a killing), but what else do I need to get, is this it? What's Overdrive, and this new thing that came out? Thanks for conforming to my REX Noobness :)

Piper

I would just get REX Essentials as it is the latest release....

If you get REX 2.0 (the older version) you will have to download a 4.2gb (I think) file, and can download the Overdive package for free.

You will also be able to download and upgrade to REX Essentials for free but will have to download another 4.2 gb file. Overdrive for REX Essentials will be released soon.

So if you went with REX 2.0 you will end up downloading a lot of updates (more then 10 gb's).....or just start with REX Essentials now and wait for Overdive to be released for REX Essentials.

I just use REX Essentials from now on and don't bother with REX 2.0 anymore.

Yes.

REX dedicated forum here if you run into any issues. http://www.realenvir...eme.com/forums/ :)

I am rather unhappy with that REX-forum. It is to techincal for me and to few basic questions and anwers.

I use REX Overdrive but wondered if here at the ORBX forum are some people who can bring the things to the point. For example: what does REX (with or without Overdrive) do in connection with the ORBX scenery? Are there any conflicts with regard to the textures (e.g. for the airport taxiways, roads, water, etc.)? What is the benefit of Overdrive and is there a high impact on fps? Do I have to run REX every time I run FSX or do I only run REX once for the installation of the "theme"? I am sure there are other questions that could be asked here...

I am rather unhappy with that REX-forum. It is to techincal for me and to few basic questions and anwers.

I use REX Overdrive but wondered if here at the ORBX forum are some people who can bring the things to the point. For example: what does REX (with or without Overdrive) do in connection with the ORBX scenery? Are there any conflicts with regard to the textures (e.g. for the airport taxiways, roads, water, etc.)? What is the benefit of Overdrive and is there a high impact on fps? Do I have to run REX every time I run FSX or do I only run REX once for the installation of the "theme"? I am sure there are other questions that could be asked here...

In order, I'll try to answer those questions... Please bear in mind though that these answers are just based on my own REX experience as a REX user... I'm not in any way giving official customer support! I agree though... I've learned a lot from the ORBX forum about all sorts of software...

what does REX (with or without Overdrive) do in connection with the ORBX scenery?

Simplest answer is to think of REX as a package that does for weather what ORBX does for scenery... While ORBX replaces/enhances/makes awesome the ground textures, terrain, airports, cities and all other stuff on the FSX world, REX does the same for the sky and water... or the stuff around the FSX world.

Are there any conflicts with regard to the textures (e.g. for the airport taxiways, roads, water, etc.)?

There is no real "conflict", but whatever texture you select in REX will replace whatever texture you have selected in FTX central... For roads, this is a no issue as REX doesn't have roads. But runway textures and water will be replaced when you install a REX theme (unless you set REX up to not control the water or runway textures). Honestly, the choices in REX are great and it even has an FTX water option specially for those using ORBX scenery... The two work hand-in-hand.

What is the benefit of Overdrive and is there a high impact on fps?

Overdrive is a High-Definition upgrade package... It adds a bunch of new selections and also adds the high-res options (4096x4096 pixels). It's worth the upgrade just for the extra textures alone. The FPS impact is not as bad as you might imagine... In fact I noticed no change in FPS between using the lower 1024x1024 options vs 4096x4096, but what I did notice was a slight increase in blurries as my system now had to load bigger textures for clouds, and left less for scenery. Now I have my FSX texture use maxed out at 2048x2048, set the same prefered resolution in REX, and select the high-def clouds anyway... They still look awesome.

Do I have to run REX every time I run FSX or do I only run REX once for the installation of the "theme"?

If you use REX 2.0 (with or without overdrive), once you create your theme, install it then exit, that's it. Every time you run FSX the REX weather engine will automatically start and real world weather will be added to your sim a few moments after you begin a flight. It's very much "set it and foget it". However, Rex Essentials works slightly differently... If you want to use the REX essentials weather engine, you must run REX, give it a couple of minutes to load real world weather, then click "fly now" from inside REX. It take a few more minutes to get things started and honestly, when I first started using it I wasn't a fan... but it's growing on me... Now I get the chance to check my weather and get a briefing before launching the sim which is kind of cool, plus the ability REX essentials has to select and load new textures that match current weather conditions is also neat... Of course if you don't want to use the real world weather, then just run FSX as normal and again, all the theme options you installed first time will still be there.

Personally, I would get the new REX essential... REX essential on it's own has much more than REX 2.0... sound packs, better looking interface, much better weather engine etc... The overdrive pack for REX essential is not available yet, but will be soon and will be a free update I believe (like Overdrive is for REX 2.0)...

Hope that helps!

I know you'll all want to brand me with tar and feathers now, but honestly guys, we are the support forum for ORBX FTX products and not for other vendors whatever their thing may be, and yes I can relate that we all want to help each other in all possible ways but still we are the FTX forums and not a general flightsim support forum, I know for a fact that the boys over at the REX forums run their sorry butts off to get all posts with queries answered to the full and make sure that the issue one may have is solved, so please do not misunderstand our point on this and that is to seek your support for your products at the vendors site of that particular product as they are the best source to get the correct information about their product.

topic closed

Archived