Is 'training' flight time transferable?

Hi,

I'm located in North Vancouver, BC , working through this online ground school course and I'd like to take several flight lessons out at Pitt Meadows airport.

I'm actually hoping to immigrate to Australia next year (as soon as possible really) and was wondering if the flight lesson time at Pitt Meadows would be logged and go towards any continued PPL training I do out in Australia or would it all start from scratch as I'm in another country?

As much as I'd enjoy the lessons here I don't really want to spend a load of cash if the flight time can't be logged and may as well wait until I've immigrated.

Look forward to any advice.

Many thanks,

Andrew

Flight time is flight time, no matter where you get it.

There will be differences to the amount of hours required to get your PPL, plus the ground exams are a lot different, so you might want to hold off doing the ground exams, but you should be able to transfer your times... Just keep an accurate log and transfer those times across to your new logbook when you start up again (keep your old logbook as "proof" i case an official ever wants to see it).

I did just that when I moved from the UK to the USA a few years back... I had 35 hours of time which all counted toward my PPL training here.

Hi Andrew,

Training in Canada you have two logbooks, Your logbook as well as your Pilot Training Record. Usually your Pilot Training Record is kept at your flight school. When you move to Australia you want to take your Pilot Training Record with you as that one is the official Transport Canada record of your training.

When you get to Australia your student permit will not be valid as that is in Canada only. So you will have to redo your medical, student permit and most likely another Radio license.

My advice is to get as much flying in at Pitt Meadows while you can because it is more expensive to train in Australia. If possible to get your PPL in Canada before moving to Australia as that would be even better and cost you less then getting a PPL in Australia.

Cheers :D

Thanks to the both of you for the info.

The prices are pretty wild here also. Unfortunately there's no chance of me completing the PPL course here in Canada as the total cash required is more important spent on getting out of here. I'm pleased to hear that this Pilot Training Record is transferable though so all is not lost on the flight lessons front especially as I'd like to take a look around this area from the air. All I've done so far is the online training so will see how many flights I can get in ;-)

The prices are pretty wild here also.

As a rule of thumb I usually check the rental rates of a C172, Cobalt Aviation at Pitt Meadows is renting them for $145 plus HST per hour.

Airborne Aviation in Sydney, Australia is renting the same model aircraft for $265 plus GST per hour.

I did all my flight training in Canada before I moved to the South Pacific so as to not pay more then $100 to rent the same aircraft type. You will find things in Oz cost a lot more compared to Canada.

Also make sure you buy a new PC in Canada before moving to Oz because electronics are also double the price in the south pacific.

Cheers :D

Wow! That is a difference in price and I'll certainly take your info into consideration. Is that price also determined by the high gas/petrol prices over there? We always have the extra shock of seeing the taxes added at the till and have never got used to it as am originally from England. Yes, CAD and AUD have been fairly close for a while.

Already warned my wife about new PC parts before I leave ;-) I try not to buy anything in Canada anymore and frequently head down to Washington for goodies. Couple of weeks ago I got the Cessna trim wheel for $36.00 from Frys and it makes all the difference in the simulator. On the way back stopped for a coffee in the Skagit Regional and watched things come and go.

This coming September my wife and I are going to head over to QLD and spend 3 weeks driving from Cairns down to Byron Bay. Hope to stop off at some of the local airports and check out the Orbx scenery comparisons. Haven't been to QLD (in real life) since 1993. :(

Already warned my wife about new PC parts before I leave ;-) I try not to buy anything in Canada anymore and frequently head down to Washington for goodies. Couple of weeks ago I got the Cessna trim wheel for $36.00 from Frys and it makes all the difference in the simulator. On the way back stopped for a coffee in the Skagit Regional and watched things come and go.

That's it exactly mate,

what I did was bought a rubbermaid bin from Canadian Tire and filled it with computer parts. I took it with me excess baggage on the flight and cost only $55 extra. Compare that to shipping it freight it would cost over $500 for something that big and heavy. Here is the shot of my bin when I packed it, consider doing the same. I bolted the lid shut with nuts and bolts and a padlock. You can buy a new PC case when you get to Australia, just ship the internal hardware and Saitek Gear:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wow, $265+GST is costly for a 172. Is that dual or private hire rate? I pay $189+GST for a fairly new 172SP or $207+GST for a G1000 model through Curtin Flying Club in Perth. They don't do lessons though.

Ed.

Wow, $265+GST is costly for a 172. Is that dual or private hire rate? I pay $189+GST for a fairly new 172SP or $207+GST for a G1000 model through Curtin Flying Club in Perth. They don't do lessons though.

Ed.

Hi Ed, I saw it on this page and it was $265 for solo:

http://www.airborne-...om.au/aircraft/

Cessna 172 G (C172) : VH-SKY

Hire: $265.00 ($240.91 ex GST) Dual: $352.50 ($320.45 ex GST)

This Cessna 172 'G' is a very neat 1966 model featuring dual VHF, VOR, ADF, colour GPS and a 100kt cruise speed. This aircraft also features an extended range fuel tank.

Fees: $14.25 (Landing), $14.00 (Movement)

I thought pricey as well but Sydney is probably more expensive compared to Perth.

Everyone should come to Perth where the flying's cheap (relatively speaking of course) and the weather is (almost) always CAVOK!

Actually quite a few places over here are that expensive too, and they just get more so each year.

I did my training in Australia and then did a bit of flying in the UK. I was surprised by the differences. Obviously actually flying the plane was no different, but the air law and radiotelephony was quite different. If you want to be cost effective in training I'd suggest that you can learn to fly the plane anywhere but try to do most of the procedural training in whichever country you're going to be based as it'll save on re-learning.

Ed.

FWIW, when I turned up in Oz with my NZ PPL, I got some sideways looks from the flight school. But a bit of digging showed that it was only one exam and a flight test (and an English 'test'... from a 'strayan!) to get my Oz one. CASA and the NZ CAA may have swapped notes too - don't know. If I'd had an FAA one conversion would have gone in the too hard basket. Obviously, the skills are transferable but it might be worth seeing if you can find out what (if any) paper war might be involved, depending on how far you get in Canada.

Mike

Archived