Ketchigan (PAKT) - broken and can't fix it

Ariel

Hello Experts,

I've got a severe problem with the payware Ketchigan airport. It's the first time a scenery problem has really defeated me. So help please!

I recently installed PFJ and PAKT. The install ationwas all just as you require it. I also installed Tongass Fjords after this. When I eventually went to view PAKT I found a severe elevation problem with a horizontally split airfield. I then spent a day trying to isolate where the presumed interferance was coming from. (I should say that I do have a fair amount of experience with scenery files etc). Having combed through my FSX system with a nit comb (particularly the World/Scenery folder and Addon Scenery), and then progressively disabling any sceneries which might possibly be interfering, I drew a complete blank.

I then uninstalled both PAKT and PFJ. The default scenery was fine. I then reinstalled PFJ, and at that point Ketchigan was still ok - see the pic below:-

Posted Image

I then reinstalled PAKT, and the problem was there - see these:-

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not good, eh?

My FSX settings are all as required, with the terrain set to 5m or less. I do have FSG mesh installed, but have disabled it without any effect. The same applies to UT USA. I subsequently installed PAKT SP1 and reinstalled the Object Library, but these had no effect (as you might expect). FTX Central was set to N America.

I have double-checked all my scenery files, and have run my copy of "AFX", which shows only four versions of PAKT present :- the ADE_FTX_PFJ Elevation Adjust bgl at the bottom, the stock airport bgl, The ADE_FTX_PFJ_PAKT bgl, and the ORBX_PAKT_APX bgl on top. Nothing else.

I've had a bucketful of this, and given up. I need help before asking for my money back. AND IT LOOKS SO PRETTY TOO!! Aaaaargh!

Ideas?

Hi Ariel,

One thing to make sure of while waiting for the "Devs" to respond.....you said, "My FSX settings are all as required, with the terrain set to 5m or less."

This may not resolve the problem but your Mesh Resolution setting is required to be 5m......not less and not more.......as an addon scenery developer in this area, I can tell you that not having it set at 5m can be a problem.

If that is not the problem, I am sure the devs will respond soon.

Stiletto2

Hi Graham,

easiest quick fix would be to disable the PAKT scenery in your scenery control panel and than delete the PAKT folder from ......\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_PAKT

then re-install PAKT + the PAKT service pack and you should be OK again, and please make sure that FTX Central is set to the NA region before installing and install the latest library files last ;)

Follow up to Wolter: Burnt the midnight oil (as we say here) and did the suggested re-install. No difference. One strange thing - After deleting the PAKT scenery in FTX Scenery, I expected that the view would revert to just PFJ. It did, but the runway was now on a huge vertical plateau. Now the runway in PFJ was fine before I installed PAKT airport - see my picture 1 above. Very odd.

Hi Ariel,

Sorry the 5m didn't help. I do know for sure though that if you go back to PFJ after uninstalling ORBX PAKT and want to stay that way, you would have to copy the ADE_FTX_PFJ_PAKT_elevation_adjustment.BGL file from the FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.na\OFF folder back into into the FSX\Scenery\World\scenery folder. That is why it looked bad when you took a look after uninstalling ORBX PAKT... ...however, since your goal is to get ORBX PAKT working, I now remember a thread back during the holidays that sounded like your problem and it was specifically for Ultimate Alaska X users and for FSGenisis users...here is a link just in case that is it....I know it involved having to manually change the .bgl to .off for these FSG files...

PAKT_ADE_FSG.BGL

PAKT_ADE_FSG_CVX.bgl

PAKT_ADE_FSG_ALT.BGL

Anyway, here is the link in case you haven't seen it:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/40079-pakt-scenery-problem/page__p__352981__hl__+ketchikan%20+display%20+problem__fromsearch__1#entry352981

Stiletto2

Hi Graham,

sorry to hear that it didn't resolve your issue, as Stiletto2 pointed out that would be the next option, see the quoted posy from Holger.

There are two known incompatibilities with existing airport adjustments for PAKT. One of them is Ultimate Alaska X and its elevation files; see http://www.orbxsyste...post__p__231746 and specifically http://www.orbxsyste...rbx-na-regions/ ; please use the Terrain > Modify Status of Repositioned Airports feature to search for and deactivate PAKT.

The other is a set of FSGenesis airport files; they are the last three files in Rolf's list (PAKT_ADE_FSG....) and should be deactivated manually by renaming them to .OFF. All the other files in Roilf's list are active or backup versions of the ORBX PAKT and should remain as and where they are.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks for the attention Wolter. I don't have UTX Canada/Alaska. I have deactivated FSG and removed all FSG files in the scenery/world/scenery folder, including the ones you mentioned (but not the ...alt file, which I don't have).

Still the same. I am contemplating a clean re-install of FSX and PFJ/PAKT to prove that the installation files are good, but this could mean many days work to catch up with all my addons etc. Definitely the last resort (shudder...!).

I just installed PAKT with no issues and also had FSGenesis, but no UT. Prior to the install I searched for the aforementioned FSG bgls, but none were in scenery\world but did fine the first two tucked away in the Addon Scenery\FSG_ATAP_US_SEAK\Scenery folder. The names were slightly different as they were part of FSG's airport smoothing project(fix):

PAKT_ADEX_FSG.BGL

PAKT_ADEX_FSG_CVX.bgl

I disabled both before loading fsX. Don't know if it helps your particular problem but thought I'd help as best I could.

Good Luck.

PROBLEM SOLVED. Sadly, I still don't know what caused it. In brief, I uninstalled FSX and re-installed it, whilst keeping all my addons - scenery, textures, airports, planes etc - in place. It should have made no difference in theory, but it did. That's probably enough, and all you want to hear, but for any interested techies the longer story is...:-

I had a recent backup of my FSX folder and the related folders with the cfg files and saved flights etc. So I uninstalled Acceleration and FSX (and held my breath!).

This removed all the stock files, and all the folders which were then left empty, but left behind those folders (quite a lot) which contained any non-stock files (i.e. all my addons). In particular, having UTX and FTX, there were quite a few stock scenery folders left behind with odd files left in them. I went through every folder still there, and looked for any unrecogniseable or suspect scenery stuff (i.e. not FTX, FSG, UT etc). I only found one old FSG file which was mis-placed (couldn't effect PAKT area), and deleted it. I also took the oportunity to junk some old forgotten and unwanted scenery files I found (not in the USA area).

Having checked that everything left behind belonged to known addon (from the name), and looked correct, I reinstalled FSX and Acceleration to the same original Folder location and name. I then restored (overwrote) the folders with the cfg files and saved flights, from my back-up . FTX Central needed to reset itself, but apart from that it all ran just as it used to! Everything worked - all my addons including PAKT! (Well, not quite, I somehow lost my joystick/throttle button settings in the wash).

So, Ketchigan now looks wonderful - worth all the effort. I'm now a very happy bunny exploring it in real-world weather (i.e. in the rain). A beautiful production, and well worth having with PFJ.

Thanks to all those who tried to help. We live and learn (but not a lot in this case!),

Graham

Archived