The rain in Mackay falls mainly on... well... Mackay

G'day all,

Dropping in a few pics from a not so nice flight I did on the weekend. I took the C208 for a bit of a spin from Mackay in QLD out to Moranbah and back, delivering urgent parts to the minesites out there. It's a flight I've made in real life, and I seem to be spending an inordinate amount of my time around there. Bit of a bummer, given that I live on the other side of the country! :wacko:

The weather was real, as usual, provided by the REX WX engine. The pics have been mildly edited for contrast and hue. Hope you like!!

Posted Image

Sitting on the tarmac at Moranbah, having just unloaded a bunch of parts from CAT for some of the local coal mines. I left Mackay in generally clear conditions, but seeing the cloud build up on this side of the range over the past half hour, I know what to expect on the return trip.

Posted Image

Lifting off from the Moranbah airstrip, nice and light with no cargo.

Posted Image

Nice steep climbout, get above some of the gusty winds down at ground level.

Posted Image

Almost at a cruising altitude of 9,000'

Posted Image

Settled into cruise and playing Dodge-the-Cumulonimbus. That weather radar comes in handy sometimes.

Posted Image

The afternoon is starting to wear on and the light is looking nice and golden through the clouds. Looks pretty grim up ahead.

Posted Image

Yep, descending over the Eton Range into the usual monsoonal crap that Mackay gets every day. All that warm moist air just dumps it's load as soon as it butts up against the range.

Posted Image

Flying North of Mackay in inclement weather to come around for a landing into a stiff 26kt sou'easterly.

Posted Image

Awful weather, but it looks awful nice <_< No more to see from here on, things got a mite ugly for taking happy snaps.

Hope you liked 'em, feel free to comment as always!

Cheers,

Derek

Archived