P3D Info needed...

FSRobert

I am a very happy FSX and ORBX user and throw in Carenado aircraft and it all adds up to a fantastic flightsim experience for my needs. Now I am reading about " P3D " and it gets my blood running even more. Seems John V is in strong support of it as well.

My questions: Is there a monthly cost.

Seems P3D handles ORBS software,FSX aircraft and even REX, does P3D code into FSX?

Do I start P3D then it links to FSX?

Will I be able to just hop into my sky wagon and fly as I do in FSX or is there more.

I guess I just need to know how it all works before I buy it.

Thanks for any help that is given.

My questions: Is there a monthly cost.

You can purchase several different types of license for Prepar3D. There is a one time $49 academic license for those using the simulator at home to learn more about aviation. Other licenses are for flying schools, developers, etc. and some are a monthly fee, but academic is a one time purchase

Seems P3D handles ORBS software,FSX aircraft and even REX, does P3D code into FSX?

Prepar3D is built on the source code for FSX/ESP and the current version 1.3 contains advancements and performance increases over FSX. The direction of P3D is continual enhancements and updates to the game engine with future DX11 and multicore support in a future P3D v2

Do I start P3D then it links to FSX?

P3D is an entirely separate simulator that can be installed alongside FSX. It does not require FSX and is completely stand-alone.

Will I be able to just hop into my sky wagon and fly as I do in FSX or is there more.

I'm not sure if Carenado supports P3D yet but almost all addons from FSX are compatible with P3D. Check their website for more info!

Here's some links to explain Prepar3D:

http://www.prepar3d.com/

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/43617-official-orbx-p3d-faq-will-be-added-to-as-questions-arise/

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/43352-what-is-p3d/

Hope this helps!

You can purchase several different types of license for Prepar3D. There is a one time $49 academic license for those using the simulator at home to learn more about aviation. Other licenses are for flying schools, developers, etc. and some are a monthly fee, but academic is a one time purchase

Really ??? The LM matrix appears to say otherwise !!! I'm *really* trying to stay "within forum bounds" with this answer :(

M.

Really ??? The LM matrix appears to say otherwise !!! I'm *really* trying to stay "within forum bounds" with this answer :(

M.

The chart at the Prepar3D website states that individual undergraduate student use falls under academic licensing. If you are a law enforcement agency, private pilot, military personnel, flight school instructor, professional instructor, ATC instructor, graduate student, or software developer then a professional or developers license is suitable.

So if you are enrolled in graduate level or higher flight training then a license besides Academic is necessary. If you are not at the graduate or professional level of flight training than Academic appears to be the correct license.

Beyond that see our FAQ

Regards,

Alex

Alex,

Completely understand your point of view, just don't see it the same way. Totally agreed on the "see the FAQ" where clarity should be checked with the approprate vendor's forums. Regards.

Maurice.

Thanks for the info and yes it helped.

Just a bit of a dance is happening concerning the licensing part. Seems that MS would have stepped in by now if thier is licensing conflct happening. I only want to use it for home entertainment as I do using FSX. I can think most of us simmers want to use P3D this way...as a replancement for FSX in hopes of better all around performance in the sim. Just seems like a no brainer considering FSX addons arwe able to be used. The price of just under 50 USD is very nice as well. It´s time for me to jump in, just need to do a bit more reading on how the FSX programs cross over P3D.

Prepar3D is built on the source code for FSX/ESP and the current version 1.3 contains advancements and performance increases over FSX. The direction of P3D is continual enhancements and updates to the game engine with future DX11 and multicore support in a future P3D v2

P3D is an entirely separate simulator that can be installed alongside FSX. It does not require FSX and is completely stand-alone.

I'm not sure if Carenado supports P3D yet but almost all addons from FSX are compatible with P3D. Check their website for more info!

Here's some links to explain Prepar3D:

http://www.prepar3d.com/

http://www.orbxsyste...uestions-arise/

http://www.orbxsyste...52-what-is-p3d/

Hope this helps!

Alex, I just would like to nominate you for the "nicest person on the forum" award. I have read many of your posts and you always display such a genuine concern and always such a nice tone to all that you help. ORBX is very lucky to have such I nice guy and you are an asset to the community.

Regards

Bob

So far, it seems Carenado Planes can just be "copied" over to the P3D Simobject folder. I did that the other night and they are showing fine. I still cannot get REX to work but I understand there will be something like a SBSL soon for that. REX Essentials will fix it ALL though when it is released.I also agree with FSRobert, if MS had a problem with the licensing agreement, they would have already stepped in by now. I think MS is too much into MS Flight right now and do now want to be bothered by it.

Alex, I just would like to nominate you for the "nicest person on the forum" award. I have read many of your posts and you always display such a genuine concern and always such a nice tone to all that you help. ORBX is very lucky to have such I nice guy and you are an asset to the community.

Regards

Bob

Thank you! After a long day of school and work reading this certainly does brighten up the day. I try to make posts helpful and friendly and I'm glad to see I've done well so far!

Thank you! After a long day of school and work reading this certainly does brighten up the day. I try to make posts helpful and friendly and I'm glad to see I've done well so far!

You deserve it.

Hi, here's what the Academic License watermark looks like. I was mistaken earlier when I said it goes away with the menu bar. It still stays in the top right corner but it's less intrusive than the FPS indicator:

Without Menu

Posted Image

With Menu

Posted Image

Alex or anyone else, the Mother of all simmers questions. FPS and performance compared to FSX. Do you see and or feel a positive difference?

I'd say that my frames are about the same as FSX, slightly higher or lower depending on the situation. On average the same though. The perceived smoothness is better though. Fewer micro-stutters that I can noticed. Although I do not have REX installed in P3D. It could also be the placebo effect but the overall perceived smoothness and fluidity is better in my opinion. Not MS Flight smooth, but smoother than FSX

Alex

Hi, here's what the Academic License watermark looks like. I was mistaken earlier when I said it goes away with the menu bar. It still stays in the top right corner but it's less intrusive than the FPS indicator:

Without Menu

With Menu

Hey Alex,

How do you get the MENU bar to go away and just show simple "watermark" top right? I can never get it to go away. Also, did you install REX straight into P3D? I can get REX WZ to run the weather but I think it is still stock clouds and such.

To get rid of the menu bar, hold ALT down for a couple of seconds.

My take so far with P3D (and REX textures aside from the water) has been extremely positive. Really the only thing missing right now are the orbx airports. NGX and every other addon plane that I have tried all seem to work fine. I ran jesus's tweak program in the Prepar3D.cfg file, and set up nvidia inspector to use the same settings that I use for FSX on P3D, although it seems I'm able to use 8xSQ better on P3D. I have found that using the internal FPS limiter in P3D seems to work extremely well. Loading of autogen/textures seems to be far less noticeable and I'm stable at 30FPS nearly all the time with settings nearly maxed (scenery complexity full, autogen density 1 notch back) and water at either full or one notch back depending which aircraft I'm using. I might have to drop that down a bit when I get the orbx airports, not sure. Either way the whole thing just seems more stable and fluid, I don't notice any stuttering at all.

Basic specs are i7 2600k @4.6ghz, 8GB RAM, GTX 570 with FSX on a 1TB Caviar Black with a caching SSD using Smart Response Technology.

I'm extremely pleased with P3D so far - looks slightly better, runs better, and I seriously haven't wasted any time tweaking anything like I always was doing with FSX.

-stefan

Archived