What you do on a sunny spring weekend off in New York

Bandit

Go sight seeing of course ...

I am on business in Long Island New York for two weeks so decided that I wanted to see a bit of 'The Big Apple'. As it was my birthday I decided to take an scenic flight. I had shared with a work colleague who flies out of Bayport Aerodrome, NY (23N) (more on him in another post) about my passion for flying and desire to one day get a PPL. Since I face the prospect of temporarily relocating here for work he told me to check out some flying schools to see how much cheaper it is to get a license in the US and do some sight seeing at the same time.

So I paid a visit to the Nassau Flyers flying school he recommended at Republic Airport (KFRG) and I told the CFI what I had in mind. He said that a scenic trial instruction flight over Manhattan was not a problem. All I had to do was choose an aircraft from the many they had on line. I choose the Cirrus SR20 GTS (N726BC) - after all it was my birthday!! 45 minutes later (and paperwork done) my instruction Sean & I had preflighted the plane and were strapped and ready to go. He had me run through the checklist on the Avidyne, arm the CAPs recovery parachute and then taxi out.

Immediately a couple of things struck me - firstly the Cirrus has no steerable nose gear only differential braking. I managed (under Sean's careful eye) to miss the rows of parked aircraft nearby though I must of looked like a drunk driving home from the pub as I taxied out!! Secondly the radio traffic was nuts - fast paced New York accent. Thirdly - this was a busy airport. As we taxied out behind a Learjet as an Aero L-39 Albatros took off (my grin is getting wider by the minute!!).

We pulled into the run up bay near RWY 32 and did our checks then called for takeoff clearance. We taxied to the holding point where we waited for an assortment of Warriors & Cessnas to land. Sean lined us up (I was still getting used to the toe brake steering) then told me it was all mine. I eased the throttle forward then at 74 knots we rotated off the runway. Man this thing can climb!!! Flaps up then we climbed to 1,000' then banked left to turn south. The Cirrus uses bugger all if any rudder in the turn. To make matters more interesting the Cirrus has a side stick which after getting used to was surprisingly easy to use and made all the better with 4 way trim via a hat switch on the yoke.

If I thought the radio traffic on the ground was nuts it was nothing compared to in to air! Gladly Sean handled the radios. Its at this point Sean matter-of-factly mentions we are in the worlds third busiest airspace <gulp>. So much for taking pictures - I was too busy keeping my eyes outside, keeping on course and holding altitude.

Posted Image

Operating out of Republic we were n Class B airspace. To get to Manhattan we crossed the beach then turn west and descend to 400 feet to stay out of JFKs airspace. Passing JFK a 757 took off and climbed directly overhead. With JFK behind us we were cleared to climb to 1100' and track over the Verrazano Bridge. We requested to track up the East river but were denied as La Guardia had just changed runways so we headed up the Hudson as we passed the Statue of Liberty.

Posted Image

Manhattan was laid out before us in the golden glow of the late afternoon. I was smiling wider than a Cheshire cat. We stayed above 1500 so as to be above the VFR corridor. Sean pointed out that this meant we we under ATC control but more importantly they were obliged to call all traffic to us - something that added more safety in the busy airspace - especially following a collision between a helicopter and a light plane a year or so before. I very quickly saw what he meant - the Hudson was a-buzz with scenic helicopters and other light aircraft. I could clearly see them passing us coming in the other direction some 600' below.

We passed the Empire state building and Central Park and La Guardia on our right with Newark and Tetorborough airports on our left. Below us was where captain Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger had successfully ditched ditched US Airways Flight 1549 in January 2009.

Posted Image

When we got to Washington bridge we turned east and headed for North Point and the smoke stacks of what appeared to be a power station the northern reporting point to Republic (KFRG). Back to 25% throttle we descended for a right downwind for RWY 32, flaps 50%. It was at this point Sean decided I could land. I asked for the numbers and Sean said 74knots full flap. Out went the flaps - it felt like we had dropped anchor!! KFRG tower offered us to sneak in before an inbound Warrior approaching straight in from the south but we elected to extend downwind before I turned onto base then final. To my utter delight I was lined up beautifully. The landing was quick. Sean warned me the Cirrus doesn't like to go slow and can get 'squirelly' if you let it. Rather he had me point it at the runway and almost drive it on with little or no flair. This felt all wrong to me but I did as the boss man said. In no time we were down and rather neatly too I am pleased to say. Not a gentle kiss but with enough of the plane intact to roll out and taxi back to the hanger. Sadly though my taxiing skills still made me look like a staggering drunk but only marginly better than the way out. It didn't matter though I was grinning like an idiot!!! We completed the aircraft log book - 1.3 hours on the Hobbs. Reluctantly I handed over the keys to Sean. I grabbed a happy snap.

Posted Image

Still grinning like an idiot even after forking over the $299 bucks. Whats more I got a US log book with 1.3 hours. DAM I AM HOOKED!!!!

This has to be one of the best things I have ever done and I can well recommend it to anyone who loves flying. A truly unique way to see New York!!

Not a bad price for 1.3 hours in that aircraft. Great trip and the best time to be in NYC is in the spring, that is when the city comes alive after a long winter. A walk in Central Park is the best in the spring, but I would also take a flight around Manhatten in an SR20 as well ;)

Cheers :D

how much did they brief you on caps is it deploy and ride it out ..? that whole caps system seems a bit scary and pricey you have to get it overhauled just like the engine

There was very little in the briefing about CAPS other than to arm and disarm - in fact the instructor did the arm\disarm (removing & inserting a locking pin).

The instructor would take control in any emergency.

I ordered a NFlightCam+ from Sporty's last week and it has just arrived. Now work tells me I need to stay another weekend in NYC so I may be tempted to d another flight and try it out. If I do Ill post a link.

I ordered a NFlightCam+ from Sporty's last week and it has just arrived. Now work tells me I need to stay another weekend in NYC so I may be tempted to do another flight and try it out. If I do Ill post a link.

And I well say Enjoy That next Flight good sir as I believe you will give into that temptation ;) I look forward to seeing more.

And I well say Enjoy That next Flight good sir as I believe you will give into that temptation ;) I look forward to seeing more.

Looks like weather will (as always) will be there determining factor.....

Great read and pic's, thanks for sharing. BTW, that cockpit is nicely loaded with the electronics huh?

Yes fortunately I have the Eaglesoft version of this aircraft in FSX so its operation wasn't a complete surprise. I must admit though once you know what you are looking at the layout is pretty easy to work with and has heaps of info - especially the main screens. The lower NAV screens are a little more work - I didn't play with these during this flight.

Interestingly looking at the 2012 model Cirrus seems to have gone away from the Avidyne system on their newer models in preference for the Garmin system.

• 1 month later...

Well I finally managed to make it back home from the 'Big Apple' and thought I'd try to replicate my flight in FSX - It was easy enough to do but boy did I miss not being able to fly in ORBX scenery. Default FSX just doesnt do the trip justice.

Guess Ill have to go back and do the real thing all over again!!

Hi Bandit. I just saw and read your great story. Thats awesome. You are a lucky guy! I often think about how awesome it would be flying around the US and Canada after flying through ORBX scenery. Of course I'd love to fly around Melbourne and Australia too, but I think you picked one of the most exciting places to take a trial flight.

Archived