Multiplayer - is it easy to set up?

boetie

Hi guys, I have never ventured into the multiplayer world as it scares me. I am wanting to fly missions around PNW with my son on two computers. Is it possible/simple enough for just the two of us to fly together?(exclusively) If so a I would greatly appreciate a quick how to guide.

Thanks. Graeme

Hi Boetie

I was a bit like you a couple of years back then saw an advertisement of a Flightsimmer group that met once a month at a local Ex-Services club. I finally went along just to see what it was all about and of some 16 members in the group of which 9 fly online regularly every Mon and Thursday night for about an hour. At first it is all double dutch and confusing but it starts to all come together fairly quickly simply by listening to others as there is a wealth of information out there from other simmers with real flying experiences.

A couple of helpful utilities are Teamspeak 3 which is like a conference telephone source of communication which we use as a backchannel communication resource which has been set up by VATPAC which is the Oceania extension of VATSIM.

I also fly on Vatpac on the 'VFR Operations' which is held Fri and Sunday nights and is available to anyone to join in and fly.

Being in Aussie you will find all the info you need to set it up at the VATPAC website here

http://vatpac.org/cms/

There are Tutorial guides in how to set up etc right from the outset to registering with Vatsim, setting up online servers and just about everything else you might need for online flightsimming and communications.

They have weekly regular events and you will find flights for everyday/night of the week simply look at what suits and join in.

If you need a hand to get set up PM me and happy to assist and help you to go through ans sort it all out.

Welcome to a brand new world of flightsimming fun.

Ross

To be honest Ross, I think Vatpac is not the way for a beginner, great as it is. Boetie would be better off doing simple Multiplayer for a while before giving consideration to the complexities of online ATC.

Boetie, Just download and install Teamspeak, and have your son do the same, then, as Aeornauta says, just read up in the learning centre of FSX and you will see that running MP is really quite simple.. if you still hit any snags, post on this thread again. As far as privacy goes, a simple password fixes that for you.Teecee,

I agree, throwing ATC in the mix may be a bit much starting out with multi player. TeeCee, you might also consider doing some shared aircraft in multiplayer, especially if one or both of you are fairly new to flightsimming. One can fly while the other assists in navigation, autopilot setup, etc. and enjoy the scenery. Many of the planes have a right seat view for co-pilot flight and you can switch who has control of the aircraft simply by pressing SHIFT T. It's especially good for long flights, as you don't have to land for bathroom breaks. ;D

Hey Boetie, Yes, Creekdog and I fly multiplayer all the time. Almost never fly no other way. It appears that you will be in the same house when doing this? If so that will be real simple. Just make sure both computers are on the Network. Once in Multiplayer. One of you will click on HOST A SESSION and set it up and then hit STARTand the other CONNECTS DIRECTLY and put in the IP number of the HOST.

If I am not mistaken, if you are indeed in the same house over a Home Network, you may not even have to get an Gamespy Login. Just simply click MULTIPLAYER and then HOST SESSION. I may be wrong about this. I had a Gamespy account when I first started Multilplayer so not sure.

Here is a great link for HOW TO at Mutleys Hanger:

http://www.mutleysha...%20in%20FSX.pdf

EDIT: After looking at this, I think you do have to have a Gamespy Account but no problem. ALL FREE....

Teecee I agree that atc certanly does throw a whole different perspective but flying on vatpac especially on the VFR Operations and other non offiicial events like Aussie Flight simm we dont get ATC very much at all unless it is what we are looking for. We regularly get newbies join in and they very quickly learn as we are all there to help and learn ourselves.

Archived