Problems after running PAKT SP1

texerrn

After running the service pack my PAKT airport looks great but all the new additions on the city side, the marina, containers, buildings etc. are floating 100 ft higher then the water. Here we go again. I have already tried reloading both PAKT and then the SP1 and reloading with the FTX central : FSX, win 7-64. I have Ultimate Alaska but PAKT is disabled. I had some initial elevation problems back in December traced to duplicate scenery but have nothing new except the SP1. have used the PAKT without any problem for months, now more floating objects again. I am curious about the correct order of priority lowest vs higher in the scenery. Also have all FTX for Canada without any problems. What could I have done wrong? Lee Stubblefield

All good Lee, found it for you. Signature fixed.

I'll defer to Russ on your PAKT issue. In the interim, is the issue reproducible after a restart.

The reason I ask is that sometimes FSX gets mesh a bit "scrambled" .. and the issue disappears after a restart, just as mysteriously as it appears.

I have done several restarts. Not improved. I have seen the city side correctly on occasion but it will not stay that way.I have mucked around and tried different things, I will come to that in a bit, and I can get the city side right but then the airport is floating. I have never got both sides of the narrows to work at the same time. Let me back up a little. I had PAKT installed. everything worked. Everything displayed correctly. It was perfect. My favorite add-on of all time. I was anxiously awaiting the promised addition, just like everybody else. I downloaded it opened by administrator. The airport was great. Looked very good. The new items are there. Boulders lights etc. all just fine. Nothing with any elevation problems. However on the other side of the "narrows" there all of the new items are floating, The elevation is not right. they all seem to be there but just floating about 70 ft. too high. I went to the FSX thing and tried to reload, went to the FS default the back to FTX, no change. I tried reloading, rebooting, Nothing that that you would think to try first made any change. PAKT airport side perfect, beautiful, no errors, just great. The other city side, remained as stated, new tanks containers, marina, breakwaters all to high. Here are some of the further steps I took: tried to elevate the PAKT priority then went to look, now the city side is correct, it is fine but the airport is really elevated. I thought I was on to something but I never could get both sides at the right elevation at the same time. I got drastic and completely deleted all the PAKT folders and the regional Pacific fiords as well. reloaded all very carefully but got the same results. Next I deleted all the PAKT folders again. Then just added the new SP1 without PAKT. It loaded perfectly all the new Ketchikan items display properly at the right elevation. One problem though, now I have no airport, just a big black spot. But I did see where all the new SP1 items were suppose to go! I tried again with PAKT then SP1, this about the tenth time now, again airport is great but the city side incorrect. I left it that way for a while. Now I have it back to the way of the first release, with no SP1. Still I great place. I had an interesting idea I thought about. I made a copy of the SP1 that I tried to use that once and momentarily toyed with the idea of copying one bgl at a time into the current PAKT scenery folder. Just to see what would happen. As I stated before I also have the UT Alaska scenery at a lower priority then Orbx and with PAKT disabled.I was sure this must be the conflicting problem. I turned it off - no change. I disabled the whole program, no change. I reloaded PAKT again without UT, no change. I think I have exhausted all my ideas. Love this scenery. It just seems we are so close if i could just keep the airpot and the new items across the way. too long i know. texerrn, Lee FTX NA FSS0142799

I have thought all along that the most mysterious feature of my problem is that the airport-runway side is fine but the city-marina side has an elevation problem. Back when I first downloaded PAKT I had some conflicts with another add-on. That was deleted. I read the advice about UT from the other thread and selectively disabled pakt through their set up feature. I did not notice any change. It just seemed wise to follow the advice. I as a simple user am not familiar with the various interactions of the different products, FTX, Tongass , UT and of course the default base layer. I have been under the assumption from what I have read that the PFJ is a higher priority and would cover the areas of lesser priority. I have all of the Misty Moorings scenery objects and all display properly in PFJ and in Tongass. It was RTMM that brought me to Pacific fjords- ORBX-FTX in the first place. Once again it would appear I am the only person who is experiencing an elevation issue. I have noted that installing SP1 alone the new items are a the correct level. Installing SP1 over the existing PAKT in the method intended that the city side items are elevated but the island airport is correct. Seems to me that should be the biggest clue. The first thought I had past re-installing was to disable UT. then to completely flush out everything and then re-install PFJ then PAKT, then SP1 without UT. I tried that, but had the same results. Well even I understand that there is a conflicting elevation file somewhere. This is why I turn to your expertise before I start changing my whole system. I know this will be solved. The problem is with my scenery collection not FTX. At the moment I have a choice. Fly the area with the original PAKT, which is what I am doing. It is just fine. Or PAKT with SP1 which is better. But I have to try and ignore the other side of the narrows. You know that isn't going to work! Lee

Hey Lee,

Not sure what to say on this one unfortunately?? i have not heard of any other instances of this issue. The airport and the ketchikan waterfront are in their own seperate placement bgl's, but their reference points are in different locations which may be a clue as to why you are having issues with only one at a time. I would very much suspect it's a thrid party mesh issue, but the only way you could identify that for sure is to completely uninstall UT Alaska!

Russ.

Hey Lee,

Not sure what to say on this one unfortunately?? i have not heard of any other instances of this issue. The airport and the ketchikan waterfront are in their own seperate placement bgl's, but their reference points are in different locations which may be a clue as to why you are having issues with only one at a time. I would very much suspect it's a thrid party mesh issue, but the only way you could identify that for sure is to completely uninstall UT Alaska!

Russ.

I don't have UT Alaska, but have the same problem

OK Russ, I was just about to start deleting stuff. I kind of figured it is inevitable. Then sd_flyer comes along. Interesting. I hate being the only person with a rare problem. I was told to look for the file UTX_PAKT_AP.bgl in FSX\scenery\world\scenery then change it. I went there and that file doesn't exist on my drive. I assume it is because pakt is deactivated in UT. If I saved the UT Alaska.exe so I could re-install it I will start uninstalling, and get back. thanks.

I just can"t seem to leave this alone, sorry. I devised a kind of work around I have to share with you folks. I took the SP1 file and renamed. Then added it on through add-on scenery, left it as a first priority. Now I have exactly the same view as before when I ran SP1. Airport is good. Floating objects across on the city side. Then I went into my new added on SP1\scenery folder and renamed two files to deactivate them. PLC waterfront and PLC city buildings. Now Ketchikan it is not what it was intended to be. However I have a scenery I am willing to live with while I wait and see if a solution can be found. I have a working airport with the Alaska 737, all the little people, boulders at the waterline etc, the whole island( I think it may be Gavina Island) is correct. 2. across the narrows the tanks, containers, extra buildings, the marina and all the moored sailboats are gone. But I have eliminated all my "floating" objects. I just had to share this because I wanted you to know that I can live with this. Disappointed that we couldn't fix it yet, but I have an improved usable scenery that will keep me occupied. Of course if I was the artist I would be mortified. Lee

as the saying goes one picture says more than a thousend words, if you kindly could add some screenshots of the various items you mention we probably would be able to detect in an easier way what exactly your issue is.

if you do not know how to add screenshots to your post please have a read here => http://www.orbxsyste...he-orbx-forums/

Hi Lee, deactivating those two files will indeed kill all non autogen detail on the Ketchikan townside of the scenery. I cant really explain why this would happen, the ref point for the waterfront PLC is in the narrows, so it's at sea level which is a constant and should never cause the ref point to be elevated (as it would be with different mesh) the reason your buildings are floating is because the ref point is for some reason being raised above the level at which i placed it, why this is happening for you, i am unsure?

But a picture would help, as Wolter suggests, it may just give us a clue about something!

Russ.

I re-sent some of the pics over again. I can see them plus the previous ones along with some other peoples in the 'gallery section'. mine just have numbers but it should be pretty obvious which are the city with buildings in the air. the two darker ones are after my changes taken at dawn. I have been trying to think of items that would be right in the narrows area. The only other things I might have added would be from RTMM. I had a cruise ship that ran right down the middle. DO you think I should take it out?

Gentleman: I have just uploaded three additional pics to the OZx site. Taken moments ago. These are of a brand new scenery add-on designed to work with the PAKT+SP1. Downloaded from RTMM; Ketchikan Harbor by stilleto2. I see he has posted here on the forum and has screen shots. The screen shots I just took and uploaded show tents, people right on the beach. store fronts and buildings. At sea level. With my system they work just fine. No elevation problems at all. Of course these items are literally in the exact same location as the SP1 items that are elevated in my Ketchikan. Kind of doesn't make sense does it. thanks texerrn

I am not very good at this uploading. You will see a variety of shots of Ketchikan. Some with elevation errors, then some that look real good. When the airport is ok then city isn't. Also please note a few pics with stilletto's items added. His items are placed ok elevation wise but SP1 items are not, but right at the same spot. texerrn

I think i can see your issue from some of your screen shots, it would appear you have non standard mesh for this area, your first image shows a steep cliff next to the sea which should not be that high or pronounced and would account for all the buildings being rasied as they are one model and the ref point is on the coast, so if the coast mesh is different from expected, the models will be raised. I would temporarily remove any 3rd party mesh addons for this area and i'm sure you will see PAKT as it should be.

Russ.

Ok thank you. I have no idea what it could be. I have searched through everything but will just keep looking. Along time ago I did have some of Holger's mesh for Alaska. I am positive it was removed. Any clue were it could be hiding or under what name. I have searched such items as :pakt, ketchikan, alaska, and mesh. I would sure like to find it! Perhaps someone will read this and make a suggestion. texerrn

check your addon Scenery/ scenery folder for starters or disable that via the fsX scenery Control Panel

to add to that as a test disable all scenery entries that are above the FTX entries and other addon sceneries, as for sure looking at your screenies you have some file or files that are messing things up

Thanks Wolter. I have removed all add-on scenery. Everything. All that remains on my system is FTX items above the default MS FTX. No improvement. Of course who knows what error may remains in scenery/world/scenery folder. I have started selectively removing one bgl at a time. Some what time consuming. I will advise if I find the interfering object. texerrn

Well do I have got news for you,

you have most definitly installed another addon scenery for sure, added to this post as how the waterfront at PAKT looks with PAKT SP1 installed I've made 2 screenies from a similar position to match some of the ones you posted up, so please compare them, to me it looks like maybe something from our valued RTMM friends, not sure as I do not have that installed.

Posted Image

Posted Image

me again,

I went over to the Return To Misty Moorings site and got the Kechikan Harbour addon they made and installed it, this is how it looks on my end when correctly installed, so I'm afraid you have messed something up at your end, as to exactly what and how ?

to recover is to delete the RTMM files for starters and start again installing them properly

Posted Image

Hi texerrn,

Wolter is right that something is not right with your mesh resolution. The Ketchikan Harbor boardwalk is very sensitive to Mesh Resolution that is anything other than 5m. The boardwalk corrupts (like in your pictures) if it encounters a resolution that is different than 5m at display time. So, assuming your Mesh Resolution is set to 5m in the Display Properties, then there is some scenery addon that is overriding it at display time or some other unknown issue.

I have posted some additional ideas for you to try over in the addon scenery forum discussion under the topic Ketchikan Harbor is now available.

Stiletto2

Posted Image. This one is resolved. Just goes to show the value of a forum and the collective knowledge of many talented individuals. Thanks again. I just bought KORS because I was tired of messing with this. PS would you believe I can not can into change my signature and update my new purchase. I'll deal with it later. texerrn

Posted Image

Posted Image

Texern, good to see the issue is sorted and that it was a simple solution :)

On a side note, it appears from your screen shots that your texture resolution slider needs moving to the right, set it to 7cm and the ground textures will be much sharper. (7cm is not used at PAKT but it is used at other Orbx airports, so by selecting 7cm you ensure that you see each airport as it was intended)

Russ.

After reading the posts in this thread decided to do some flying in the Ketchikan area, first with the default Cessna 172, then with the Lancair. On some occasions I have seen some of the scenery appear to be elevated, but that did not occur on these flights. I have four monitors, three in a Triple2Go configuration and the fourth using the second video output. I had not spent much time flying slowly in this area, and was really pleased with how great it looks! Congratulations - especially on being able to elevate the runway above the taxiways and have the taxiways slope down to where the GA planes are parked.

Did not notice any of the problems encountered by texerrn.

On my installation noticed that the only starting locations available appear to be on the runways, such as runway 11 or 29. Would be nice to be able to start from where the GA planes are parked or from the terminal. Is this prevented by elevation issues?

jhkaye

• 1 year later...

For those with UTX Alaska, I had the same problems with elevation and floating objects as shown in the screenies above. I had already turned off duplicate AFCADs and set mesh resolutions.

I noticed that UTX Alaska comes with a Mesh layer I had not noticed before in the scenery library. (I use FS Global Ultimate). I turned off the UTX layer in the scenery library and that took care of all the elevation problems as well as missing buildings form the scenery (which is awesome Russ).

mark

Archived