The Orbx 2012 Approach; My thoughts

[Keep in mind that the terms 'you' and 'your' are addressed in the order of the company, Orbx]

You have been very helpful in my days as a flightsim.com reviewer, your company, products, and marketing all impress me, and you have a brand that is very high quality and one that I have gained loyalty to. Through this, your brand, in my opinion, is one that most in this niche of the computer world respects, and you have done an amazing job creating what I call a 'Coca-Cola Quality Brand'; one that garners respect, loyalty, and one that shows the effort and care that you put into it. The events that have transpired since Christmas have shocked me, and I respect your decision. Many people were mad that there was a 33% sale after the release of some ~5 or so products whose pre-order price was 15% off. I can understand their frustration, but not their spite. Indeed I'll get a better deal buying the sceneries I didn't pre-order than those who did, or that I would have, but its all a matter of perspective. Yeah, you'll get it cheaper now, but those complaining customers were willing to pay that price, and that was when they chose to buy it, you never forced them to; I bought a brand-new Barnes & Noble nook in January 2010, for $259, but the price dropped lower and lower, and now a more advanced, next-generation nook has come out at $99, and the unit I have, $49, I am a little upset that I spent that much money then, but I was willing to, I wanted it then, and that was the price then. I shun those who complain so much about these price and sale fluctuations, and I don't understand why they could get so upset about so little. I honestly thought it was a bit hokey that you had pre-orders for a download product (although I had no problem with the price!), but it made sense from a marketing perspective, and for those boxed products whose stock can run out. The release announcements for any product, whether material or 'virtual' so-to-speak, are risky endeavors, since so much can happen and change over time. Nonetheless, I am impressed by Orbx's ability to keep within their six-week schedule for releases, and its a fine achievement. I am actually glad that you have decided to discontinue the whole pre-order and six-week announcement process, I believe it will enable you to produce lower-stress products that will require less bickering question from the consumer, and perhaps weed out problems that are covered by patches quite soon after release. I will miss that nice 15% break from the normal price, and the look into a far-off product, but then again, I can save my money, and that lower price may not tempt me to purchase something that I may not want, or not need at that time. As for those sales, its sad to hear that this current sale is the second to last, (no doubt I will take advantage of both if I can) but I will still stay loyal to Orbx, and sometimes it actually gives me a fuzzy feeling when I buy those heavily discounted products, because I think I'm short-changing all those guys like Bill, Holger, and Heiko and the bunch by not paying the full price for their miraculous work. I will support your great company through whatever it does, and so long as I'm flight simulating (those days may be numbered, as I approach the age where I will be flying in real life too) I will purchase your products, but I will never cease to support your company, or help out with product projects I propose and photograph.

I agree with the balanced comment from Peter C.

The only real problem was mixing a set of pre-pays with a sale, and I know that you have got that sorted out. In my case I picked up Ketchikan for which I hadn't prepaid so I have no complaint..

Never say never to sales, why close down a business option when you may require a quick in-flow of funds - or to match the action of competitors.

Never say never to pre-pays if there is strong customer base just waiting for the product.

It seems wise to take the pressure off yourself and the developers by not setting target dates, but even 3rd Quarter 2012 is a teaser to maintain interest.

But with sales, unless you have had a very poor take-up of a title, don't discount below cost. As the leading scenery producer you shouldn't need to.

More gratuitous advice, so in the end run your business as you see it, and maintain your good humour and tolerance toward one of the few sets of customers who can enter a website set up by you, and offer criticism that is frequently scathing and mindless of you and your products. Meanwhile there are few other retailers that offer anything like this service, and letters and emails of complaint end up in the waste, not recycle bin.

And for all us customers remember it is Caveat Emptor, we buy what we choose, the company does not force us to give our credit card number - it can't, only we do: so don't come down on the poor salesman for our decisions.

And JV I still haven't got a real understanding of Prepar3D - is it as flexible as FSX?

And JV I still haven't got a real understanding of Prepar3D - is it as flexible as FSX?

Think of Prepar3D this way: it's as if a group of devs took the original code base for FSX and decided to add some new functionality. They fixed some of the things that have driven FSX users batty, and are adding things like DX11 compatibility, the ability to go underwater, and so on. So to to answer your question, no, it's not as flexible as FSX, it's more flexible.

Bill, I am therefore generally interested but patient until it is good to go.

Just how many hard drives can a standard motherboard take, or are we about to need server style machines?

..a Raptor, or the supernew drives: one each.for FSX (which has cost me thousands), FLIGHT and P3D

Bill I have looked on the Lockheed Martin site, and if you forgive me it is sales blarney..

The forum here more or less implies that all those joining the discussion knew something about the product..

Could you kindly point me to a URL where there is a full on description of Prepar3D and its total specs on completion.

Archived