problem installing the port mcquarrie scenery

jorvik

i must apologize for initially submitting this as a reply to a 'resolved' issue which i had initiated a couple of months ago.  i have now experienced the same installation issue with the port mcquarrie scenery as i did with the version 1.20 of the Orbx freeware.  i am copying my new thread into this old one and hope someone can elucidate the reason for my problem.

this is directed primarily to john venema (his reply #10 to my 'resolved' problem).  as i wrote earlier, i sorted out the problems i initially described, uninstalled the old incompatible voz scenery, and was having a great time with the ftx freeware, including the ai pack.  last night, i downloaded and installed the new port mcquarrie scenery.  the installation appeared to work well and the appropriate entries were in the scenery library. before flying from port mcquarrie, i opened a flight in the netherlands antilles, where i was greeted with the same bizarre missing or distorted textures, including what looked like many areas of 'bleedthrough' land just below the surface of the sea.

i immediately looked at my scenery.cfg file and found that the original problem had recurred.  below  is a copy of the scenery cfg file following the autoinstallation of the mcquarrie scenery.  once again, it was easy to fix manually, and the corrrected cfg file resulted in normal scenery.

in john's reply, he attributed the problem to an old ftx configuraator.  i could not find the attached configurator he mentioned, and have not heard anything about a new or poatched configurator.  i also cannot find any threads suggesting that other folks are experiencing this problem.  can anyone suggest an explanation, or even better, a preventative, so that i do not have to keep manually fixing the scenery cfg.?

thanks again for the flow of wonderful scenery.  i am grateful for any assistance or advice on this matter.

steve chavin

Relevant portions of the aberrant scenery .cfg file

[General]

Title=FS9 World Scenery

Description=FS9 Scenery Data

Clean_on_Exit=TRUE

[Area.001]

Title=FS9 World Scenery

Texture_ID=1

Layer=1

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

[Area.002]

Title=Default Terrain

Local=Scenery\World

Layer=2

Active=TRUE

Required=TRUE

[Area.003]

Title=Default Scenery

Local=Scenery\BASE

Layer=3

Active=TRUE

Required=TRUE

[Area.262]

Title=OZx_AUS

Local=OZx\OZx_AUS

Layer=262

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

[Area.265]

Title=FTXAI_TRAFFIC

Local=ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAI_TRAFFIC

Layer=265

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

[Area.266]

Title=FTXAA_ORBXLIBS

Local=ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS

Layer=266

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

[Area.267]

Title=FTXAA_AIRPORTS

Local=ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_AIRPORTS

Layer=267

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

The ftxconfigurator.exe used since March this year has not changed - it's version 5.1

Please can you attach a copy of your scenery.cfg file the way it looked before the installation of YPMQ and I will run some local tests here. We'll try our hardest to solve this mystery for you ok? :)

john:

thanks for the prompt reply.  i am leaving in a couple of hours for a 1 week holiday.  as soon as i return, i will send you copies of the various scenery.cfg files.  any help will be greatly appreciated.

steve chavin

john:

sorry for the delay in responding.  i still cannot figure out how to attach the scenery.cfg files, so i am simply copying the relevant initial entries into the text. you can compare the entries in the uncorrupted file in this submission with the corrupted entries in my earlier submission

22 june 2008 uncorrupted Pre-FTX scenery.cfg

[General]

Title=FS9 World Scenery

Clean_on_Exit=TRUE

[Area.001]

Title=Default Terrain

Texture_ID=1

Local=Scenery\World

Layer=1

Active=TRUE

Required=TRUE

[Area.002]

Title=Default Scenery

Local=Scenery\BASE

Layer=2

Active=TRUE

Required=TRUE

[Area.003]

Title=0000 Base

Local=Scenery\0000

Layer=3

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

[Area.004]

Title=0001 Base

Local=Scenery\0001

Layer=4

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

[Area.005]

Title=0002 Base

Local=Scenery\0002

Layer=5

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

i hope this is adequate for you to  troubleshoot the problem.

thanks very much for your kind and generous assistance.

steve chavin

Hi Steve,

i cannot figure out how to attach the scenery.cfg files. even one of them exceeds the size allowed on your site.

Not sure how to interpret that. The scenery.cfg file is very small and what do you mean by "even one of them"?

In any case, if I attach anything other than images to a post I usually zip up the file. That also helps with retaining the original date stamp of the file, which sometimes can be relevant.

As for the corruption it appears that for a few users the FTX installer removes the crucial "Texture_ID=1" entry in the [Area.001] block. Don't know what the specific circumstances are for this to happen but that might be something to look into by our installer coder.

That's the only issue I can spot; had you noticed anything else?

Cheers, Holger

holger:

thanks for the reply.  i will try to clarify for you.  the included cfg files represent only the initial few entries.  in the corrupted file,the major  problem is the new entry for Area.001, [General]  Title= FS9 World Scenery (shown in red), which partially mimics the first and unnumbered entry.  this new entry then appears to force a renumbering of all subsequent entries (in particular, area.001 title=default terrain becomes area.002 default terrain).  in a cursory review, i found no other corruptions throughout the cfg file, except that all the subsequent area numbers are increased by 1. deleting the new corrupted entry and manually renumbering everything else seems to correct the generalized scenery abnormalities.  this also suggests that there are no other significant cfg corruptions.  i hope this additional information is helpful.  i also would be grateful for advice on how to make an attachment.  i know how to zip a file, but how do you attach it in this forum format?

==============================================

uncorrupted cfg

[General]                                             

Title=FS9 World Scenery

Clean_on_Exit=TRUE

[Area.001]

Title=Default Terrain

Texture_ID=1

Local=Scenery\World

Layer=1

Active=TRUE

Required=TRUE

[Area.002]

Title=Default Scenery

Local=Scenery\BASE

Layer=2

Active=TRUE

Required=TRUE

[Area.003]

Title=0000 Base

Local=Scenery\0000

Layer=3

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

======================================================

corrupted cfg

[General]

Title=FS9 World Scenery

Clean_on_Exit=TRUE

[Area.001]

Title=FS9 World Scenery

Texture_ID=1

Layer=1

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

[Area.002]

Title=Default Terrain

Local=Scenery\World

Layer=2

Active=TRUE

Required=TRUE

[Area.003]

Title=Default Scenery

Local=Scenery\BASE

Layer=3

Active=TRUE

Required=TRUE

thanks very much for any help.

steve chavin

john:

yesterday i sent copies of the relevant sections of the corrupted and uncorrupted scenery.cfg files.  although holger sandemann had a couple of thoughts, i do not think he solved my problem.  perhaps you or 1 of the other people at Orbx could have another look and make some comments or suggestions.

thanks again for the help.

steve chavin

Hi Steve,

Yes, I can see what the ftxconfigurator.exe is doing now, and I'll need to chase up Martin Pomej, the coder. He has not taken into account the first entry in scenery.cfg and replicates it errantly. Interesting though, is how this only affects a fraction of the FTX users? Very strange. Anyway, you've temporarily have done a manual fix so all is good from your end. Thanks for the info and I will pass it onto Marty asap.

john:

thanks for the prompt and truly helpful reply.  i will try to restrain myself from installing the demo and the other new air fields until the problem is fixed, but it will require a great deal of self- control and -denial.

steve chavin

Archived