error launching ftx for first time

sleightflight

HI I have just installed ftx pacific north west having downloaded it from flightstore at the end of the install it says to click on launch ftx & I got ,

unhandled exception has occured in your application access path c:\program files(x860\microsoft Games\microsoft flight simulator x \autogen\default.xml' is denied, I have windows 7 64 bit op system.

I have tried re install with virus protection off which I did for first install & also ran it as administrator can you help please.

ok installed both the updates and it is still the same unhandled exception I get when I click the apply button, I tried un zipping the whole download package again using win zip instead of windows & tried re install as administrator at the end dialogue box I clicked launch ftx central & I got windows cannot find c:\program files(x86)microsoft games\microsoft flight simulator xorbx\scripts\ftxcentral\ftxcentral.exe'. but when I file search to it its there, if I launch the application from that point it launches but still I get this un handled exception, I have never had any problems installing paid for scenery before & this is really frustrating, thanks for your suggestions though.

go to => c:\program files(x86)microsoft games\microsoft flight simulator\orbx\scripts\ftxcentral\ftxcentral.exe

right click the FTXCentral.exe and select create shortcut to desktop

that should do it

be aware that for best results fsX should be patched up to SP2 or Acceleration pack

I have the acceleration pack installed, tried your suggestion of creating a shortcut ,ftx launches as it did before I click on the north america tab, then when i click the apply tab I still get the same error & cant load the orbx textures , it allows me to set fsx default but not the ftx orbx pacific north west software.this is the first orbx scenery I have tried to install , I have all UK horizon vfr version 3 , canary islands x , & a lot of UK airports, I have Rex overdrive which I had a small isue with installing but nothing like this .

Can you try right clicking on the FTXcentral icon selecting properties, then go to the compatibility tab, and tick the 'run this program as an administrator' box

The error you posted is related to some permissions issues with windows7, most of that comes from installing FSX to the 'default' location... program files (x86), the problem is this folder is highly protected by Windows7 security which can stop FTXcentral from 'changing files', the best location is in a separate folder

edit: beaten by John

Yes I did install fsx in the default location, when I installed it a year & a half back I wasn't on any forums so I didn't know any better, I now have so much software related to it moving it would be a nightmare. I would like to try the ,find the root folder and set privileges but I'm not sure how you do that ,its something I have never had to do before, but it sounds like that would be the problem, thanks for the replies guys.I had already tried right click & run as administrator,it didn't work,sorry.

there was an isue with the installer when I got to the last page it said something like it couldn't find c\microsoft games\microsoft simulator x orbx scripts ftx central & to check I had typed it correctly , I saw this because I re downloaded the software I tried a re install, that was what happened on the original install but when I clicked finish the ftx central icon was on the desk top & when I file searched for that folder it was there.

it happened again on the 2cnd attempt to install.

yes still getting fault Im afraid.

Here is the full Data.

unhandled exception has occured in your application, if you click continue the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue.ifyou click quit,the application will close immediately.

access to the path 'C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight SimulatorX\autogen\default.xml' is denied.

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Autogen\default.xml' is denied.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)

at System.IO.File.Copy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)

at FTXCentral.FTX_Environment.CopyBuildRestoreBat()

at FTXCentral.FTX_Environment.ApplyRegionChanges()

at FTXCentral.FTXC.Apply()

at FTXCentral.FTXC.lblApplyButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Label.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5448 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

FTXCentral

Assembly Version: 1.0.2.5

Win32 Version: 1.0.2.5

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Microsoft%20Games/Microsoft%20Flight%20Simulator%20X/ORBX/Scripts/FTXCentral/FTXCentral.exe

Microsoft.VisualBasic

Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll

System.Windows.Forms

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5446 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5447 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Drawing

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

Accessibility

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

System.Runtime.Remoting

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll

System.Configuration

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

System.Xml

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

ze1_x-ee

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Core

Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0

Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.5420 built by: Win7SP1

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

yqndi2-y

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Can you go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Autogen and right click on the 'Default.xml' file and check its properties, ensure its NOT set to 'read only'

This has caused the same issue for others in the past, i.e here: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/36309-ftxcentral-error-access-to-the-path-is-denied/page__hl__%2Baccess+%2Bto+%2Bthe+%2Bpath__fromsearch__1

on the properties tab it was set to read only , on the security tab administrator , home user etc were at full control, unticked read only, still the same error when launching ftx central.

just checked it again & it has re ticked read only , its kind of greyed out by itself , it goes when I tick apply but when I re open the folder its ticked again.

Hmm, that would be the issue holding you up, seems its a common problem with Windows7 and installing games into the 'program files' or 'program files (x86)' folder

Suggest you have a look at this link http://www.blogsdna....n-windows-7.htm or google search for "windows 7 removing read only file properties" or similar

I've never run into these issues myself so I am clueless sorry!

Cheers

Tim

you will be relieved I have now got it working, the properties tab for that folder was ticked hidden so I un ticked & applied, & then it went to the next file down & it couldnt handle that either so long story short went to microsoft flight simulator x properties box & un ticked that hidden file box , it took a while to go through them all but that is what was causing the problem.

Haven't had much time to explore yet , took off from seattle in sludge hornet fps dropped as low as 14 ,once above 1000 ft fps kept improving until getting upper thirties ,some of the auto gen trees seem to POP out which is a bit weird but it looks nice, I like the fact that the trees are looking the correct colour for fall season, I didn't see any tall grass like what I have seen on some you tube vids of this scenery but maybe that's only on grass strips or on some other add on. I'm going to have a look on Google earth to see where would be a nice scenic area to explore. Thanks for your patience & help.

Archived