CEN4 High River

Lucevan

I love the new airport, but......

The grass alongside the runways looks like cardboard cut outs in DX10. It may just be my system.

This did used to be a problem with other airports in PNW but the library was updated to be DX10 compliant I think.

Sorry to whinge about something that is free and otherwise brilliant.

Peter

Hello all,

FIrst post to the forums, so I'll get the product information tacked onto the sig as quickly as possible following...

I'm also seeing the "cardboard cutouts" issue, as well as a number of other things at CEN4. Many things just don't look quite right. A few bits of additional information:

Turning off DX10 does make the problem go away (and the airport then looks GREAT!), but the framerate and overall improvement in smoothness I get using DX10 are awfully hard to give up, and none of the other FTX bits I've got installed seem to have this issue, only CEN4. I did install the latest library after installing the airport, but the problem remains with DX10 enabled.

One thing I did note when checking library versions was the odd series of CEN4 builds that seem to have been installed. Here's the report text:

FTX AA ORBX LIBRARIES VER 110831 August 31st 2011

FTX CAN CEN4 HIGH RIVER REGIONAL AIRPORT VERSION 1.00 - BUILD 0001

FTX CAN CEN4 HIGH RIVER REGIONAL AIRPORT VERSION 1.00 - BUILD 0002

FTX CAN CEN4 HIGH RIVER REGIONAL AIRPORT VERSION 1.00 - BUILD 0003

FTX CAN CEN4 HIGH RIVER REGIONAL AIRPORT VERSION 1.00 - BUILD 0004

FTX CAN CEN4 HIGH RIVER REGIONAL AIRPORT VERSION 1.00 - BUILD 0004a

FTX CAN CEN4 HIGH RIVER REGIONAL AIRPORT VERSION 1.00 - BUILD RTM A

FTX CAN CEN4 HIGH RIVER REGIONAL AIRPORT VERSION 1.00 - BUILD RTM B

FTX CAN CEN4 HIGH RIVER REGIONAL AIRPORT VERSION 1.00

FTX NA CRM Central Rocky Mountains V1.00 July 2011

FTX NA KHQM BOWERMAN AIRPORT VERSION 1.0

FTX NA NRM Northern Rocky Mountains V1.00 December 2010

FTX NA PNW PACIFIC NORTHWEST DEMO V2.00

FTX US 2S1 VASHON ISLAND VERSION 1.1 - June 2010

Like Peter, I feel badly griping about something free, but I am very interested in this field as well as potential future airports in the Rockies regions. I was extremely excited to see this offered, and hope this is the starting point for others in the Rocky Mountain areas, as the Rockies are where I flew (IRL) and fly (in the sim). Having a few good detailed airports to start and end flights really adds to the experience, as I quickly discovered when I first tried out the PNW demo and Vashon. So, I bought the two Rockies regions and crossed my fingers for future airports.

(And I doubt I'll be able to hold off more than a few days before adding the PNW as my next purchase so that I can get some of the airports "over there" as well. :-) )

Thanks for reading,

Scott

Hi Scott:

First to the DX10 - FSX doesn't support DX10, just DX9. I had the same issue with (what I thought) a good system with i7 - 870 processor. Now my much better laptop with Sandy Bridge processor doesn't have any major problems in that regard. I just had to limit my fps to 18 to make the beast load the textures just in time... You would have to find the sweet spot in your set-up, the best solution seems to be a brand new fsx config file, without any "tweaks". Then keep changing your display settings until you get satisfactory performance with some give and take of course. There is a lot of threads here on the forum.

The .txt files just list the progression in development and don't have any bearing at the final product...

Hope this helps and yes - there is more in the pipeline! :)

Cheers, Vlad

Hello Vlad,

First off, thanks for taking the time to respond. I really do like the look of CEN4 and appreciate your efforts here.

I'm very much a new guy on the block when it comes to FSX and am still in rapid learn mode, so perhaps I'm confused. My understanding is that FSX has supported DX10 since the Acceleration Pack/SP2, and the option to enable it should (and does for me) show up in FSX if you have a DX10 capable card. While there are some minor tradeoffs, with DX10 enabled I've not seen any noticeable issues in NRM, CRM or the PNW demo area, nor at Bowerman or Vashon Island, and the performance increase is substantial.

My system was fairly high-end a coupla years ago, but is admittedly getting somewhat long in the tooth these days - Core i7 920 with mild OC and Saphire "Toxic Edition" 4890 (factory OC) to a 1920x1200 display running Win 7 Ultimate x64. With DX10 enabled, in most areas I run scenery settings pretty much maxed out, other than autogen and water effects and get good frame-rates and smooth visuals. In DX9 mode, I start to notice a lack of smoothness in many flight situations with these settings and would definitely need to re-tweak if I had to change. Up to now, it's been a no-brainer to run DX10 on my system. About the only negative I've seen is a very occasional flicker when taxiing at a couple of airports.

At any rate, thanks again for your response and for the good news about more Rockies airports "in the pipeline".

Newly minted fanatic Scott

Hmm...

Sometimes you have to write something in order to really make yourself think about your own opinions.

Just did a series of comparison takeoffs out of Bowerman in both DX10 and DX9 modes as I wanted to confirm (or not) some of what I'd written above. While everything there "works" in DX10, there are definitely differences, and most favor DX9. Small details that flicker in and out as points of light that I previously took for granted are gone in DX9. And lighting effects seem to be present that I hadn't previously noticed were missing in 10. The biggest change, however, isn't in the scenery but in the cockpit. Shadow effects in the cockpit of my Carenado 210 are seriously improved.

Subtle lighting is kinda MIA in DX10.

In favor of DX10 are still framerates, but the difference isn't as big as what I'd remembered.

Hmm...

Those of you who've been doing this for a while are probably having a good chuckle at my expense about now. This is why at this stage of the game I mostly read and keep my mouth shut! :wacko:

Scott

no worries Scott,

We've all been there sometime or another, as for DX9 or DX10, please keep in mind that the "DX10 preview mode" is still a half backed thing that was never fully integrated within fsX, hence you are / where missing out on a truckload of maybe small things to the whole picture but nevertheless adding to the overall flavor and feel of fsX.

I'd say enjoy your rejuvenated fsX with FTX ;)

I'd say enjoy your rejuvenated fsX with FTX ;)

And so I am. Vlad's new airport is a treat and just the kind of place I love to fly into and out of. While I've still got some tuning to do for DX9, I guess I've had my eyes opened a bit here.

And that's always a good thing.

Scott

Archived