Canada VFR charts

JimmiG

So I'm looking at ordering some VFR charts for the Canadian portions of the OrbX scenery, so I don't have to fly blind when exploring. I already have paper charts for the continental US portions of the scenery.

1. Which of these do I need to completely cover the current OrbX area?
/>http://www.navcanada.ca/ContentDefinitionFiles/Publications/AeronauticalInfoProducts/Charts/VNC/VisualNAVIndex.pdf

I know NRM stretches as far east as Edmonton, but it's on the edge of the coverage area. Do I still need that chart? What about AIR 5006 and 5005?

2. What about Alaska? I notice that the Canada charts seem to overlap the Alaska sectional charts for the coast. Do they contain all the detail as well, or are US airports and navaids "censored"?

I know I could just get some moving map addon (and I probably will get FSMap), but I do like the feel of paper charts and being able to study them before flying or during the flight.

Hi Jimmi,

you'd need the VNC charts Vancouver, Calgary, Kitimat, Prince George, Edmonton, and Atlin.

NRM coverage of the Edmonton chart is the lower left quarter (the map's western edge is at W115 and NRM reaches to ~W113) and only a small part of PFJ reaches into the Atlin mapsheet (though that chart covers most of the TongassX area, if you have that, and parts of the upcoming ORBX southern Alaska project).

A narrow strip of PFJ reaches into the Fort Nelson chart but I don't think it's an area of PFJ that many people fly in since there are no airports or airstrips north of N56 in the Canadian part of PFJ, which is the southern boundary of the Fort Nelson VNC.

VNC Alaska coverage has full detail with very similar topographic background and annotations to the US charts.

Cheers, Holger

• 1 year later...

Finally got around to ordering the charts from Sporty's and got them a few weeks ago. Went with the charts Holger suggested plus Whitehorse for SAK. Already had Anchorage which I bought back in 2005 or something for use with FS9.

So now I have complete coverage of the entire FTX:NA area (minus a small strip of the south-coast in SAK that comes with the Seward chart). What a difference it makes. It made me realize just how much scenery is available in these products - 7 additional full-size VFR charts of scenery to explore in addition to everything I had for the contiguous US since before. It's immensely satisfying to navigate visually using the charts instead of "cheating" by using the GPS or a moving map addon.

If you want charts, I recently found this great site which provides free high, low and vfr charts for the whole world, it even allows you to create a flight plan and allows a layer control to display weather information like sigmet, airmet, radar and satelite data, it also has information about airports.

http://skyvector.com/

Archived