Blown Away !

Bendigoandy

Ok yes I'm blown away with the Stuff that is coming out of the Orbx Hangers!

After several weeks of Testing FSX with Vista 64 bit in DX9 Vs XP pro-SP3(I know what your thinking John) ,Setting up raid 0, and going quad core (45nm cpu) reformatting, etc etc,and a hell of a lot of tweaking and more tweaking, fragmenting, messing about with the cfg settings, screaming,swearing at dear Bertha (my computer), etc, etc.

I am now set and very happy, as well as overwhelmed by the speed and FPS coming Vista 64 bit when running FTX running FEX and YMML 16-25 fps, and in the 35+ over rural areas.

Thank you  Team Orbx and all its members !

Actually Andy I just picked up a copy of Vista64 Ultimate yesterday, since our testing leading to YMML's release shows Vista was dealing with the texture load a LOT better than XP, and even moreso with 4GB and RAID-0 on board. Thankfully my laptop can cover all those aspects, so that's what's going to get installed in the next week.

I always knew Vista would catch up when the hardware/driver/SP combos planets aligned, and I think they just did with SP1 and the new crop of GPUs. Certainly my recommendation for YMML is Vista SP1 + 4GB over XP-SP3 now.

The one constant about simming is the change, LOL!

That said and after only achieving max 10fps I am shopping for 4gb memory, an extra HDD for Raid 0 and a T9300 processor (I currently have 1 HDD, 3gb and a T5550) so if anyone knows where to get all of these at a reasonable price compatible with a gateway FX 6831 laptop then let me know!!

Hey Ac,

Before you go spending big heaps of money, have a look at the Intel site.

Yesterday they have named their new CPU (codenamed Nehalem) to i7.

It's due for release around Q4. It will blow all of the competition into the weeds. There are a whole stack of new CPU's with 45 specs and they even talk about a quad core that the overclockers have running at 6ghz.

I have not long spent 3-4 grand upgrading and looks to me like I'll be making another sizeable investment before Xmas (I'm one of those anals that has to have the latest gadgets...you, know!).

Hope this saves you some heartache,

Frank

Here is an exerpt:

SANTA CLARA, Calif., Aug. 11, 2008 – Intel Corporation announced today that desktop processors based on the company's upcoming new microarchitecture (codenamed "Nehalem") will be formally branded "Intel® Core™ processor." The first products in this new family of processors, including an "Extreme Edition" version, will carry an "i7" identifier and will be formally branded as "Intel® Core™ i7 processor." This is the first of several new identifiers to come as different products launch over the next year

Posted Image

Posted Image

Black one is the Extreme edition.

More info to come.....hang on to your hats, it's gonna be a bumper year

Frank

John,

Q4 means they could come out any time after September, so we may see them well before Xmas.

I'll be lining up for sure.

Have to junk my new ASus Striker Ultimate, 2.4ghz Quad Core and 8 Gb RAM.

Lucky I can still keep my 2 x 9800 GX2's, so watch this space.....

Frank

Frank,

Lucky I can still keep my 2 x 9800 GX2's

You must have some money to burn mate! I wish my hardware budget was as well nourished as yours  :'(

I would love to make a new Nehalem based system at the end of the year, but i am saving to take the family away on holiday at the moment so a new PC just isnt going to happen!

I will just have to put up with 10fps over YMML for now! Having said that, i tried putting my "scenery complexity" slider down to nothing, then facing YMML at 400AGL it went up to 40fps (although YMML 3d structure was reduced massively, i could benefit from all the 15cm textures at 40+fps! and still have normal autogen. Thats a great trade off in my book!)

Russ.

Archived