Overclocking

John York

I've got fed up with seeing the great specs of all the new machines now so I've just clocked my I7 920 up to 4 MHz.

The Intel Burn Test 5 times at 'high' (which FSX never gets to anyway) at 100% on the 4 cores kept the temperature to 90 C and below. As the maximum is 100 C, I was quite impressed. Also, while I don't attach much credence to it, the report said the machine is quite stable.

The same test with the clock at 3.8 MHz had given me the same temperatures.

Tests at 'standard' gave me temperatures in the low to high 80's so the Noctua cooling adjusts the fans operation to keep the temps at approximately that level.

While I don't suffer from an fps deficiency, I think overall I might get a slightly better performance. We'll see. If I don't, I'll put it back to the 3.5 MHz it was at before I started meddling! ;D

John

I'd certainly be careful with this as you don't want to find yourself wishing you hadn't ventured down this road to begin with. But it seems like you have the right idea and am sure you'll notice some kind of performance increase.

I too have been fiddling around and while I do not have an i7 (i5 750) I have recently been frustrated by poor performance with my new PMDG NGX . I have overclocked it to 3.6, then finally down to 3.2 and stable after running prolonged testing. It is suggested that you run IntelBurn or similar (OCCT) for an hour or more .. which is what I ended up doing and this revealed a heat issue at the higher clock speeds. (while it ran at 3.6 the heat thing was too much for prolonged testing - so dropped it to 3.4 - then 3.2. I am happy with 3.2 for now at CPU temps around the mid 60's (air cooled with 3rd party fan and cooling fins). Ideally, I would like the new series i7 but that would result in a replacing the motherboard and I don't want to go down that road this year.

Reading extensively on the Internet I ended in upgrading my power supply to a Corsair 750w as i wasn't happy with the 12v figures showing in Hardware monitor (variance of more than .05v). This seems to have been a success...

Overclocking today.is like getting your cake and eating it too. With SB it seems that Intel has factored in a high overclock to gain market share over there leading competitors (aka AMD). Also the tracings are much smaller these days so heat issues have gone the way of the dodo. AB also alleviates the need to OC your memory which leads to further stability. I found that a 5ghz OC is pretty easy to attain if you do your research and disable all the chipset features that hinder OCking. Things like HyperThreading and power management settings are pretty useless when your goal is to run FSX at its maximum.

As a comparison my old Prescott unit with a 6800 gen GPU generated 2x the heat and noise of my current SB system with a 580 GPU and clock speeds of 3.6ghz and 5ghz respectively.

The point is that a SB system begs to be OClocked at very high levels without any fear or concern for system damage.

Cheers

jja

I have only ventured up to 4ghz so far, which I know is nothing for these CPU's... I need to get a rear exhaust fan for my case to ensure things don't get too hot when pushing further, but stability is the main thing for me, and I won't be finding the bleeding-edge as some people do... 4.5ghz will be satisfactory.

Take it easy John... I'm sure there was other reasons besides heat that made you back it off from 4ghz before?

Wow, 100C. AMD CPUs are not allowed to go above 62C or something. I get very close to that when running the CPU and GPU stress tests of OCCT Perestroïka at the same time even at stock speeds. With just the AMD Overdrive stress test, it maxes out at around 50C. My limit is probably the cheap, small case with only 3x80mm fans plus the PSU fan. It's a cheap build meant to last during my uni years, so a new build will be in order once I get a job (if those still exist).

Im running the i7950 @4.4Ghz (vCore 1.46 volts) But im keeping things cool with a H50 with twin sythe fans and a large case, i saw temps up around 78 degrees whilst running Prime95 for 12 hours. If you want any help please give me a shout and id be more than happy to do so.

100 degrees C is possibly ok under Extreme test settings (Intel Burntest on Maximum, for example) for very short periods.

It is not OK with normal (eg FSX) use.

Personally I only let Burntest go to a max of 90 degrees, which is my abort trigger. FSX runs at just under 60.

Wow, 100C. AMD CPUs are not allowed to go above 62C or something. I get very close to that when running the CPU and GPU stress tests of OCCT Perestroïka at the same time even at stock speeds. With just the AMD Overdrive stress test, it maxes out at around 50C. My limit is probably the cheap, small case with only 3x80mm fans plus the PSU fan. It's a cheap build meant to last during my uni years, so a new build will be in order once I get a job (if those still exist).

I assume you have the 965. it will do 4 gig and above. If so then get a Xigmatek Aegir S128264, it will drop your temps around12 c, mine idles at 8 above ambient seen it as low as 7. I had the redscorpion previous and the aegir is better by 4 degrees.

Yes, in the end after testing in real difficult (demanding) scenery and 'planes I found I couldn't actually see any increase or improvement in performance and have ended up back with the 3.5 GHz. I started with. That's still a small overclock as the default is 2.8 GHz.

The result is the temperatures are way down of course but I know that some day if I get some really demanding scenery or something I've still got that bit of leeway for the clock.

Thanks for all your warnings and advice. In fact, this computer only came about because I burned out the mobo on the old one by insisting on an overclock the cooling couldn't cope with! ::);D

John

Archived