Orbx FTX is great... But lets not forget FSX's contribution!

Rob Newman

Hi all...

I'm sure we're all in complete agreement when I say that flying around the current FTX regions is simply in a league of its own... But I made a quick "realtime" flight last night from Darrington to Concrete (to test some new adjustments hoping to reduce my crash to desktop frequency... Which incidentally, so far, so good...) I use real world weather courtesy of REX and of course allowed FSX to do it's rendering thing... The atmosphere that FSX is capable of generating is nothing short of incredible... I thought I'd share my experience and wanted to laud FSX... It may be temperamental, but it really is an incredible piece of software... Enjoy!

Posted Image

Low clouds and rain... And a moody darkness...

Posted Image

Terrain shadows...

Posted Image

Ridge lines through the clouds...

Posted Image

Definitely NOT VFR conditions!

Posted Image

IFR with Mountain Obscuration... I should be calling 122.0 and making a PIREP...

Posted Image

The scene unfolds...

Posted Image

A welcome sight... Finals to Concrete.

Sadly, my flight ended with a crash of a different kind... I suffered a total loss of engine power and had to ditch in the river! So far I've had an engine failure on EVERY flight with the Katana! I don't think I'm being to rough and I always do a preflight... Still, it keeps things intersting!

Well, I think I might have worked out the "secret" to the Katana... Apply carb heat for 30 seconds or so every 5 minutes, and make sure it's on all the time during landing...

Guess I've been spoiled by fuel injected 172s!

Fantastic pics ! Well, default FSX is not capable to create this environment, REX is...

Regarding your engine failures - do you have this muffler thing installed ? (What was the correct name ? Can't look for it right now) As far as i know it will overheat easily if it is not very cold outside... Do you check inspections once in a while ? Oil filter and oil changes ? Drain water, clean spark plugs and all that stuff ? :D

Fantastic pics ! Well, default FSX is not capable to create this environment, REX is...

Regarding your engine failures - do you have this muffler thing installed ? (What was the correct name ? Can't look for it right now) As far as i know it will overheat easily if it is not very cold outside... Do you check inspections once in a while ? Oil filter and oil changes ? Drain water, clean spark plugs and all that stuff ? :D

Do you mean the Inlet Baffle? That should be installed in the Katana in cold weather :)

yeah... I have it removed for now... The odd thing is, just last night, I did a complete reset of the Katana... did a workshop inspection, a service inspection, full walk around checks, fluids and fuel checks (all with no issues), used my official Katana checklist to start the engine, then 2 minutes later during taxi the engine quit... I did another inspection "on the taxiway" and was told my "tank cover" was damaged.

I'm pretty sure DA.20s are not this fragile in real life!

Archived