Water running uphill

Chandy

This is a repost of that which I originally put into the General Discussion Forum. Unfortuantely the directions for uploading screenshots did not work for me, so I can't provide you with them. However the problem is to do with rivers and some small lakes (why not all I don't know) in all areas covered by Blue and Gold (no other parts of Australia or anywhere else in the FSX world are affected). To explain the problem all I can tell you is that the water follows the lay of the surrounding land surface in rivers instead of cutting through the raised land (and has a sink point in the centre of some lakes). Where the river bends and there is a hill or slope on the external curve the water appears to have slid up the slope (picture the movement of a bobcat in a luge as it enters the bends). In other places it appears to run up and down somewhat where there are differences in elevation of the surrounding land.

I never had this problem until I tried to get rid of screen tearing by the previously succesful method of turning on Vertical Sync in my nVidia 8800 GTX card controls (which failed me this time so I went to an earlier restore point and had success with the tearing that way). However I now have this annoying problem with water (no coastline is affected), which may not have been there before I went to the restore point.

I have FS Water Configurator installed, FSGlobalX 2008, SP1 and SP2. I have also applied all of the hotfixes from FTX and have installed the Airfield package from OzX.

The problem reminds me of what we saw in FSX before SP1 came out.

Based on this information I would be appreciative of any help you can give me because currently this glich spoils the wonderful scenery FTX provides.

Regards,

John G

Thanks for the replies.

The Mesh resolution was & is still at 10 metres and I am having the problem (the mesh resolution slider appears to have no effect on diminishing the problem or increasing it). I must stress that this problem only seems to have crept in of late, and was not necessarily there in the original install of Blue and Gold as I am sure I would have noticed it.

Three cooridnates are:

Kempsey NSW (close to the airport):

Lat S31* 4.21' Long E152* 46.57'

South of RAAF Base Richmond NSW - Woronora River:

Lat S33* 39.87' Long E150* 40.93'

River inlet east of Albany WA:

Lat S34* 54.43' Long E117* 56.91'

It is also strange that while one lake a few clicks west of Kempsey has a weird dip in the middle most others seem okay, and not all bends in a river are affected. To my humble mind it seems like a conflict with the mesh (I am using FSGlobalX 2008) but why now and not before?

I hope you can figure it out. Would it be the FS Water Configurator add-on?

Regards,

John

Hi John,

sorry, lost track of the thread for a while...

I checked those locations and it's what I suspected: the Kempsey and Albany area issues are due to non-flattened rivers. In both cases the shape of the river doesn't match well with the terrain and thus you end up with these patches of sloped water. I've taken screenshots of those spots and put them in the to-do folder for service pack updates. Obviosuly, any add-on mesh, like FS Global, FSGenesis, or my freeware package, will enhance the detail of the hills and valleys and thus make any mismatches more obvious. FS Water Configurator plays no role in this.

The Woronora River issue looks very odd; we'll have to take a closer look at that one too. In any case, a couple of shoreline adjustments or flattens should fix all of these spots.

Thanks for bringing these to our attention!

Cheers, Holger

Archived