Just had my first crash

JimmiG

Normally, FSX is stable for me, but today I experienced a crash. I was flying the RealAir Turbine Duke from CYSE to Darrington, and as I approached the aiport, during the descent but still some distance away, FSX crashed. It seems to somehow be related to the loading of more detailed scenery, because it happened just as I was getting close enough that some detail was starting to fill in. I was approaching the airfield at quite a high speed (250+ kts, I was descending from 26,000 feet) which may have something to do with it. Previously I've only done shorter flights to the airfield at slower speeds and lower altitudes.

The error that was logged:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61472.0, time stamp: 0x475e17d3

Faulting module name: g3d.dll, version: 10.0.61472.0, time stamp: 0x475e180c

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000b50df

Faulting process id: 0x1ebc

Faulting application start time: 0x01cc47ebe217bdee

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\g3d.dll

Report Id: 650e4822-b3e7-11e0-8e2c-080027009440

My system: Phenom II X4 3.4 GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce GTX460 1GB (driver version 275.33), Windows7 Pro x64 SP1, FSX SP2.

I've been having success in the denser areas with setting the level of detail radius to Small in the Control Panel. There's a slight penalty in blurries but that's less frustrating than a CTD. Despite the efforts of many testers and tweakers there doesn't seem to be a cure, especially when flying non-default aircraft, it seems that everything just overwhelms the FSX engine.

So it is at least partially related to the speed at which you fly? If it's a problem of the FSX engine getting overwhelmed, that should be the case I think, and slowing down when getting closer to the airport might stabilize the sim...

I installed FSXSave (flight autosave utility) and cleaned up a little in the scenery library. Also did another test flight to the same airport with no crashes. Guess I'll just have to wait and see. At least now I can resume almost where I left off in case of another crash.

Archived