A look at the opposition...

While eagerly waiting for YMML, it might be useful to take a look at what Fly Tampa have managed to to for Hong Kong's Kai Tak.

Cheers,

Noel.

File #2: http://www.fsfiles.org/imagehost/uploads/1217495445.jpg

File #1: http://www.fsfiles.org/imagehost/uploads/1217455237.jpg

File #1: http://www.fsfiles.org/imagehost/uploads/1217466221.jpg

Kaitak is the old Hong Kong Airport. I actually brought the scenery from fly tampa and i tell you what they have done a great job with it. Having lived there for 9 years and landed in the cockpit of a cathay pacific tristar back in 1987. Flying the IGS 13. checkerboard approach is almost as real as it gets. For those who havent tried landing at VHHX via runway 13 checkerboard approach i would suggest you give it a try it is a lot of fun and keeps you on your nerves as those buildings are only just below you as you turn to short finals. I have actually been on a building on the approach path and there are wheel marks. Shame i was a bit young then and didnt have a digital camera. It was very sad to here when they actually sut the airport down as it has a lot of memories for me and where my inspiration to become a real life pilot came from. That said i never became a pilot. Not yet anyway. SO for me i rely on Orbx and FSX lol

Shane

Sadly i never flwe into Kai Tak, however i have flown into HongKong International (Chek Lap Kok) only a year or so after it opened and i have to say it is one of the best airports i have ever been through, in my mind it shares the top spot with Singapore International. Very efficient and had no waiting for passport control or baggage etc, straight in, straight out, great stuff!

I have to say though on the flip side, one of the worst airports i have been through was Sydney! dont know if it is different now, but they had a roped zig zag setup for people waiting to pass through customs, this cue must of had a thousand people in it and took hours just to get to the front and have the passport stamped. Then it was the same story for bagage! plus the air con was shot, so i was stood shoulder to shoulder for hours with a thousand other hot sweaty angry travellers, not such great stuff!

Having said that, the month i spent in Oz was fantastic and truly has some of the most impressive and diverse scenery i have ever seen. I spent a week in Sydney, a week in Cairns and 2 weeks in Perth stopping at Alice springs on the way! one of the best holiday's i have ever had!

Russ.

Guys can anyone explain why does flytampas airports seem so natural? What I mean is that their buildings and terminals seems to blend in really well, whilst other airport add ons, including YMML, appear 'blocky', although YMML is far above the rest in detail. Does anyone else get what I mean lol? If you don't, just look at YMML and then PNJM from flytampa or something. I'm not having a shot at YMML here, im just wondering what Flytampas scenery is the way it is - it just stands out against the rest - although YMML will give it a run for its money.

Guys can anyone explain why does flytampas airports seem so natural?

I suspect part of the trick might be that the building textures are darkened towards the ground, so that they appear to be in shadow from adjoining structures. Perhaps this has been over done a little, but in the right light and from the right angle it looks very convincing, giving depth and perspective that is often missing from autogen.

Cheers,

Noel.

VARIOMETER; Those are killer videos man. I loved the soaring one. The other gliders in the video, were they AI or someone online flying? I thought about setting up online play but didn't have good luck with FS9 so I bailed on the idea. Also, what are you using for video software. I have my own indy record label / studio but haven't jumped too far into the video end of production.

Turnip

Turnip I will look at the approach deatils for you i have the charts somewhere. I will post the link for you as soon as i get a chance. I use navigraph for charts but i know there is a site you can get it from.

Shane

Guys can anyone explain why does flytampas airports seem so natural?

I suspect part of the trick might be that the building textures are darkened towards the ground, so that they appear to be in shadow from adjoining structures. Perhaps this has been over done a little, but in the right light and from the right angle it looks very convincing, giving depth and perspective that is often missing from autogen.

Cheers,

Noel.

The FT texture darkening at the base works for the most part, particularly to blend buildings into the ground. We've done that to a certain extent for airside at YMML (have not posted shots yet). Where the FT technique does not quite work at KT is all those apartment blocks with a darkened base standing in isolation (i.e. sides of a hill); in that instance the darkening effect is very obvious and does not quite work. The same issue raises its head at night, when in fact the taller buildings should be lighter at their base due to street glow, and darker at the top. If FT flipped the shading layer for their night maps it would resolve a lot of issues. That said (and I've posted this at FSW), I think KT on the whole has very few flaws, and Orbx is not in the same league as those guys. Keep in mind that YMML is our first venture into large airports and we're learning new stuff almost daily.

There will be flaws and bugs in YMML, we'll make no excuses about that. We intend to release a free SP1 upgrade not too long after release to remedy little kinks and further improve the texturing. However, after 18 momths of development we feel it's time to release our baby (warts and all) but rest assured we will support YMML with hotfixes and SP's just like the FTX regions.

John, I have no doubts at all in regard to the quality of the product you will release (warts and all). I for one will enjoy having a highly detailed airport in my adopted home town. I am sure that what you learn from YMML and the additionl skills you guys pick up as your products mature will eventually result in airports of the quality equal if not exceeding FT. I really hope for a long and successful future for Orbx, so we can be recipients if such quality products for many years to come.

VARIOMETER; Those are killer videos man. I loved the soaring one. The other gliders in the video, were they AI or someone online flying? I thought about setting up online play but didn't have good luck with FS9 so I bailed on the idea. Also, what are you using for video software. I have my own indy record label / studio but haven't jumped too far into the video end of production.

Turnip

I used FsRecorder (http://www.fs-recorder.net/) to record every single glider you can see in the video. It's similar to the built in recording function of fsx, with the difference, that you can store the replay on disk and playback as AI or normal flight whenever you want, even multiple replays at the same time. So you can create your very special AI for some little airfields and fly in a group without having to fly online.

I'm using FRAPS for filming the the flights and Sony Vegas Movie Studio 8 for cutting and rendering.

Cheers

A Kai Tak thread on the FTX forum???  Well in that case I can't pass up a chance to post some screens!  :D  Here's some shots showing off the awesome ORBX weather theme.  Whoever said "meh" about this product obviously hasn't seen my pics.  ;D 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Guest Private-Cowboy

DUDE!   You totally blew me away. You're telling me that you get THAT WITH tolerable frame rates?

I also have Kai Tak and the framerate is not as bad as you might think it is. It's only slightly worse than TNCM and much better than the likes of Heathrow. FlyTampas work usually is very well optimized. I was pretty surprised to see how well Kai Tak performs on my low end machine.

Guest Private-Cowboy

Very very low end for FSX. I'm flying on a subnotebook (Intel T2500 2*2GHz, 2GB Ram, 80GB HDD and NV7400Go). I get 15fps in Kai Tak easily in my Level-D in 2D-Panel - about 12fps in VC. That's more than I get on FSX standard airports like Kennedy Intl.

I hope that helps you a bit to judge the fps of Kai Tak.

Best regards.

DUDE!   You totally blew me away. You're telling me that you get THAT WITH tolerable frame rates?

Yeah, totally.  With the default R22 I'm getting 30fps in those shots.  When I leave the airport and head out over the city I get 35fps, which is impressive considering it renders what appears to be every building in downtown Hong Kong.  When you fire this scenery up for the first time it's quite exciting to see how fast it runs.

Hey I'm curious, does anybody know what resolution the Kai Tak poly uses?  Its by far the sharpest ground texture I've seen, so I'm just wondering if the YMML poly will match it, though I know the Kai Tak poly is pure art and the YMML poly is a photo, so given that I would understand if photo data can't match whats possible with pure texture art.

There is no way our 15cm photo imagery can compete with synthetic layering like FT/FSDT/Aerosoft does, just not possible, and if it was - you'd be looking at a 20GB download to deal with the data and then your sim won't run it :)

Our approach with YMML is authenticity at the expense of uber-crisp ground detail. Pros: it's like the real thing with all the dirt, oil stains, markings and zero repetition across the entire airport. Cons: you won't see pristine perfect lines and every grain of pebble in the bitumen. For that, we provide an FSX Native Mode where you can have all the clean stuff you want, and have water reflections etc.

Archived