A moments inattention and ....

chumley

.... kthud - two broken ribs, a partially collapsed lung and plans for the holiday of a lifetime are in tatters.

On Sunday next my wife and I were to embark on a trip to the Canadian Rockies on the iconic train journey followed by an 7 day Inside Passage cruise and 14 days trekking around Alaska and the Yukon bookended by a couple of three or four day short stays in Hong Kong to break the jouney from and to Australia.

A week ago we were spooked by an ash cloud but three days ago whilst finalising my preparations for a 10km road race tomorrow it all came to a sudden halt when I stumbled and fell into a rock that sadly had greater resiliance than my body and I came off second best.

My wife is devastated as she went through some significant health issues in 2010 and this was to be the time she reaped the benefits of the hard slog through the surgery, follow-up treatment and recuperation.

Personally, I'm feeling quite depressed about ruining the holiday plans but she is very supportive (bless her) and is putting on a brave face to mask the disappointment.

Wish us luck as we attempt to recover as much as we can from cancelling the bookings and the travel insurance. I suspect the medical certificate which states 'Unfit to travel by air for 6-8 weeks' and 'significant health issues may eventuate with changes in atmospheric pressure' will be a significant player in the ensuing weeks.

At least loading FSX and spreading my virtual wings will not be a problem as I sit and recover from my injuries :)

Andy b

.... kthud - two broken ribs, a partially collapsed lung and plans for the holiday of a lifetime are in tatters.

On Sunday next my wife and I were to embark on a trip to the Canadian Rockies on the iconic train journey followed by an 7 day Inside Passage cruise and 14 days trekking around Alaska and the Yukon bookended by a couple of three or four day short stays in Hong Kong to break the jouney from and to Australia.

A week ago we were spooked by an ash cloud but three days ago whilst finalising my preparations for a 10km road race tomorrow it all came to a sudden halt when I stumbled and fell into a rock that sadly had greater resiliance than my body and I came off second best.

My wife is devastated as she went through some significant health issues in 2010 and this was to be the time she reaped the benefits of the hard slog through the surgery, follow-up treatment and recuperation.

Personally, I'm feeling quite depressed about ruining the holiday plans but she is very supportive (bless her) and is putting on a brave face to mask the disappointment.

Wish us luck as we attempt to recover as much as we can from cancelling the bookings and the travel insurance. I suspect the medical certificate which states 'Unfit to travel by air for 6-8 weeks' and 'significant health issues may eventuate with changes in atmospheric pressure' will be a significant player in the ensuing weeks.

At least loading FSX and spreading my virtual wings will not be a problem as I sit and recover from my injuries :)

Andy b

Sorry about your misfortune guys..with your injuries it is probably not a good idea to laugh so maybe depression has a side benefit :P

As long asd you had travel insurance I'me sure that yopu will recover most of your money so this is just a hiccup :rolleyes: until you are ready to travel.

I'm sure that none of the countries that you are going to visit will notr disappear.

Speedy recovery mate.

Dan

I feel very very sorry for you Andy.

I wish you and your wife good luck on the road ahead, and for a speedy recovery!

Hey, why don't you do your trip on FSX if you can't fly ;D

AJC

Bad news, mate.

Life has it's way of slapping you in the face when you least expect it. You gotta learn to accept what comes and adjust to it, cos it ain't going the other way.

Stay fit and healthy and keep a good frame of mind, mate. You'll recover, go on the holiday and have a great one,

Regards,

Frank

Know how you feel, took a nose dive while treking part of the West Highland way in Scotland, bruised the ribs, smashed my glasses, improved my looks. Had to rearrange itineray on the fly. It did not impress my mrs either, but you make the best of it and say thank you it was not any worse.

Get well soon

Taph

Archived