gain more reality and better fps in fsx

lthendrix

Felt like this might be a hint for newbies but I thought I would run it by you all. I find that setting my weather vis to 20 to 30 miles gets me a more realistic looking sim and benefits fps as the visibility limits far off detail. I live in so cal and drive over a large hill and into work every day and I always notice how the moisture in the air limits the visibility . any way these settings and some times 10 mile vis really lends realistic and performance boost ... to me on my machine anyway .. Cheers !

Over the past 50 years I have been flying the haze layer gets a bit thicker every year but it sure is not moisture that causes it. Plain and simple air pollution at work.

:unsure:

It is a great tip. Limiting your visibility to around 40nm to 50nm and setting your draw distance to 10 nm under your visibility distance is a great performance boost.

It is also realistic for many North American cities to only have 20 to 30 nm so you can lower it even more in Seattle or Vancouver in the summer for increased haze and better FPS Performance.

You have to use custom weather setting in the weather tab go to user defined weather and set the vis there I like to play around I learned how to even make fog that obscures the ground and has really limited vis using status and cirrus layers and the visibility slider

rex has a few textures of cirrus clouds that make great looking fog banks. !!

It is a great tip. Limiting your visibility to around 40nm to 50nm and setting your draw distance to 10 nm under your visibility distance is a great performance boost.

It is also realistic for many North American cities to only have 20 to 30 nm so you can lower it even more in Seattle or Vancouver in the summer for increased haze and better FPS Performance.

So how do yo actually do this in REX? There is a Low visbility slider in the configuration tab marked in SM? - is this correct? Also how do you change the draw distance?

Sorry im new to FSX but I have been tweaking it for days and finally getting somewhere :)

not in rex you can use rex textures and create your own weather in fsx via the user interface page under the weather tab.

in free flight check the weather tab and start exploring options also check out the learning center side bar . have fun :lol:

If you do check the "enable real metar visibility" option, doesn't that then disable the "max low visibility" slider all together? Or do I have something backwards instead? (<-Very possible :lol: )

I may be wrong, but the limiter forces the *max* visibility range at low altitudes.

So, if the metar says you have unlimited visibility, then the limiter will apply its value.

If you have 3NM visibility, and the limiter is fixed at 10NM, you will have 3NM visibility.

But, again, I maybe wrong.

If you do check the "enable real metar visibility" option, doesn't that then disable the "max low visibility" slider all together? Or do I have something backwards instead? (<-Very possible :lol: )

"Enable Metar Real Visibility - This is a new option for REX2 that overrides the visibility slider whenever the weather station metar of the airport you are flying around shows a visibility of less than 10 SM. It is well known that FSX has a low-level haze problem that has been particularly difficult for 3rd party developers to design around and many users have complained about. REX2 allows (with user-control) the visibility level to be forced from 10-50 SM. When selected, this completely eliminates the low level visibility no matter what the visibility actually is supposed to be. However, many users will find this solution somewhat unrealistic and so we made an effort to allow low level visibility under conditions when the metar is calling for limited visibility. Checking this option allows the lower visibility to be displayed if the metar is calling for this."

From the REX manual -Configuration Settings

Andy b

I agree 20nm VIZ in FSX "Custom Weather" is frequently realistic (depending on where one is flying) and has significant FPS benefits. However note that both FSX "Weather Themes" AND ORBX "Weather Themes" seem in general to favour much greater VIZ settings.

What is this FSX "low-level haze problem" ...... ?!?!

David

"Enable Metar Real Visibility - This is a new option for REX2 that overrides the visibility slider whenever the weather station metar of the airport you are flying around shows a visibility of less than 10 SM. It is well known that FSX has a low-level haze problem that has been particularly difficult for 3rd party developers to design around and many users have complained about. REX2 allows (with user-control) the visibility level to be forced from 10-50 SM. When selected, this completely eliminates the low level visibility no matter what the visibility actually is supposed to be. However, many users will find this solution somewhat unrealistic and so we made an effort to allow low level visibility under conditions when the metar is calling for limited visibility. Checking this option allows the lower visibility to be displayed if the metar is calling for this."

From the REX manual -Configuration Settings

Andy b

Hmmm read this but to be honest doesnt make a lot of sense lol. Am I right in saying;

if I set the slider to XX it will reduce low level visibilty to XX regardless of real weather updates etc

-but-

if firstly tick the enable meta.... button" then set the low vis slider to XX it will reduce low level visibilty to XX UNLESS the real weather states vis is lower than the setting?

??confused ????

Slightly off topic but reading this thread caused me to investigate REX weather and I have to say I'm well impressed! I was an ASE man for a long time but REX weather is light years ahead.

Question: How is REX weather when flying online? ASE used to be OK and didn't appear to cause any problems. Any experience anyone?

Archived