Disc Management

dogtrack

Nothing what ever to do with Orbx, but I know there are some very astute guys in here...SO:-

3TB single partition HDD, chose to partition it into 3 sections. Upon deleting the primary single partition, it auto shrank into 2 unallocated partitions; 1x2048GB & 1x746.52GB. Have created the larger of the two into a working disc. The smaller (746.52GB)remains unallocated and unseen by Windows. However, when right clicking in Disc Management, all options to Create, Shrink, Expand, Rename etc are greyed out!! Have tried on two different machines with the same result.

Hardly a life threatening glitch. But before I kiss 746.52GB of space bye bye, thought I would ask around.

In retrospect, perhaps it would have been better had I shrunk the original partition rather than deleting it. But hey, we can all be clever after the fact :D

All options and ideas will be gratefully received. Many thanks, Arnie.

In the meantime, I am off for lunch and a beer to cry in...or should that be over?

Mate, which windows version are you using? Better not use the vanilla Windows Disk Manager, instead you should get some good freeware partition manager (for instance Partition Wizard 6.0). With this you should be able to assign the lost disk space to an existing partition, or create a new partition from it.

Hope this helps.

Mate, which windows version are you using? Better not use the vanilla Windows Disk Manager, instead you should get some good freeware partition manager (for instance Partition Wizard 6.0). With this you should be able to assign the lost disk space to an existing partition, or create a new partition from it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers for the pointer. Will give it a try, was using the Win7 manager.

Arnie.

Had similar issue recently. The default Disc Management features in Windows 7 leave a LOT to be desired. Best to get a third party app as suggested like Partition Wizard or Partition Magic as these allow you to perform functions the standard app in Windows 7 does not, and likely undertake these more safely too :)

Archived