Best Anti virus for FSX

petejohno

None.

I don't use AV, complete waste of time and money. I used to work for Symantec too (makers of Norton AV). Could tell you some stories about the AV "business" but I won't, not the time or place.

Take it from me, don't install AV bloatware.

Simple rule to keep your PC clean? Don't download warez or visit questionable websites which have malware on them, simple as that.

I use the Microsoft Security Essentials simply because it is low on resources, it is free and I don't mind giving MS the chance protect my PC. It auto updates with Windows Updates so it takes no time or effort.

I've been using NOD32 since its very easy on peformance for the last few years. However the license ran out about a month ago and I never bought a new one, so I am basically going commando right now, but my FSX computer never uses the internet except to get weather or for installers to validate an install. I may try the MS Security Essentials since its easy on resources and is free as well like YTZ mentioned.

I agree with JV. No antivirus is the way to go. There's a lot of scare-mongering going on to sell this stuff.

You can't get a virus by just "sitting there". You need to have downloaded something or visited somewhere that was dodge bascially. If you are a responsible citizen for the most part then your risk is very low.

MS Security Essentials seems to be a good backstop for me so far.

Thanks for the quick replies Fellas. Interesting thoughts JV. I have never used an AV before either and, as you said, I don't go to suspect sites. Never had a virus either ( that I knew of anyway ). Might have a re-think about it.

I agree with JV. No antivirus is the way to go. There's a lot of scare-mongering going on to sell this stuff.

You can't get a virus by just "sitting there". You need to have downloaded something or visited somewhere that was dodge bascially. If you are a responsible citizen for the most part then your risk is very low.

MS Security Essentials seems to be a good backstop for me so far.

Same here, use nothing and never had a problem... run the odd check when something has seemed not quite right, but it's always been clean.

Each to their own though, but as long as you follow a few basics, as listed above, you should not have any problems.

I'm far more concerned about companies who hold personal data being targeted, both Sony and Play.com have recently had breaches.

There are a few FREE anti-virus tools available on the internet that will give you excellent security against anything untoward. I would agree with John V in not getting an over-priced, over-hyped AV Payware bloatjob, and looking at lots of IT forums around the world, these don't do any more for you than the freeware stuff, some are even worse, so, you may as well get something for nothing.

Avast and AVG are definately worth looking at personally speaking, but, you can surf the net for something suitable.

I would be honest and say that to have no AV will let you into all kinds of trouble, my computer wasn't expensive. but, to have no protection at all on it would be suicidal and if you can't use your laptop, because of a virus or trojan, you'll miss out on flying around in FSX with all the wonderful ORBX add-ons..... :lol:

Cheerz. Transport Steve.

If you do set up an AV make sure you look at the settings.

Exclude the FSX folder and all scenery folders, and disable "scan on open"

If you have gaming rig ... And don't process financial transactions then the risk is pretty low.

Run a DECENT Firewall that BLOCKS ALL outbound traffic unless you permit it. Not Louvers (Because it's about as transparent as one). To allay your fears, run periodically tools like MalwareBytes Anti Malware, AVG Free, or Clam.

I run NOD32 as a backstop on a stand alone PC that is used to scan the Kids School Lappies and USB Thumb Drives etc, because it like Jay's Kaspersky has virtually NO footprint on the PC CPU cycle time.

My Main PC does not have any active AV on it.

1 Stay away from torrents, software sharing and other suspect sites.

2 Including Music sharing like LimeWire, Bearshare and other's. I have heard many stories about nasties hidden in , mp3 and mpg files.

3 Also beware of sites asking permission for interactive content like Online Flash games and the like (these are NOT allowed in our House)

In other words keep your network clamped down with ONLY to required outward and inbound bound ports open for gaming and other applications you use and make sure to turn Plug'n'Play feature OFF in your router.

90% of nasties come from dodgy downloads or trojans internally on the PC attempting to communicate outbound and NOT external ingress.

MAKE it your business to understand your PC and your Internet connection from your LAN to your Router and out, whether it be Cable, FibreOptic, ADSL, ADSL2 or even Dialup.

Knowing how to configure your inbound and outbound traffic is a very handy skill to develop, and could ultimately save you a lot of time and hard earned money, and will go a long way to aleviate you worries about your PC Networks security.

Touch wood apart from a recent nasty brought home by the Kids that wasn't scanned prior to Lap Top Network access for homework I have not had an issue for almost as long as I have had PC's.

I mentioned external attack, so I'll point out a site that I use periodically to check the condition of my network.

Picture if you will, your home taking a sicky and the boss was in the area and comes to check on you, you hear a knock on the door and tell "whoever it is bugger Off" the boss now knows your home and will keep pestering you. OK

I use a little tool from Gibson Research Corporation called "Shields Up" LINK . It might not be the best around but I use it to scan from outside to check my network is still in stealth mode.

If you have any ports actively Closed (ie "Whoever it is, Bugger Off") this means there is a PC at this IP and would alert and active hacker to closed ports meaning there could be open ones too, if you have open ports depending on the type it would be like putting out a welcome mat.

At last check mine were all green, so I'm real happy.

If you have ports open then you can be vulnerable but if the NET connection you have is essentially hidden then as JV has said you should have little to fear.

Recommending no antivirus is bad advise in my opinion. Granted you lower the risk by not visiting suspect sites, but you don't always have total control over that. With clever phishing methods, legitimate websites that end up compromised, and embedded spyware it's a good idea to have some protection for the times when you can get in trouble despite altruistic intentions.

However, I do agree that it's a good idea to stay away from the big A/V vendors mostly looking to capitalize on their fees. I've used the free Avast for years on multiple machines and have seen it save several machines proverbial bacon. It's quiet, unintrusive, and can quickly be disabled when using resource intensive applications such as FSX. One click on the system tray and I can temporarily disable it.

I drive carefully and responsibly everyday, but I still wear a seatbelt just in case something out of my control gets me in trouble. In my mind this is not that different.

There are really good free ones out there- Super Antispyware, AVG, Avira, Spybot. You are going to pick up a lot of spyware (at least) if you browse much at all IMHO. You can always just disable it before flying FSX if you think it is affecting performance.

I agree with a lot of these views. My fear however is email and my "friends" who send me jokes, links to U-tube, and lots of "fun" stuff. My subscription to Norton ran out years back and I did not renew, stayed clean for a long time, then out of what appeared to be no where was a really really bad virus attack, turned out to be attached to an email to my private email address, really trashed my computer.

I had to restore Windows, all my operating programs, all my addons, all my FS9 stuff. It took me a week morning, noon and night to fix, plus a trip to my computer guy to help.

Not pretty, not nice.

So I decided that even if there is a bloatware factor I would install some protection.

I run Norton 360, I read the manual, I turn on and off the permissions and firewall features as needed. I free up FSX to minimize impacts. My machine runs smoothly (of course with a number of the recommended tweaks). I have had one problem and that was because someone send some bloody bug to my hotmail account and then that account started sending emails to everyone and sundry but there was no impact on my rig. I deleted the hotmail account and the problem was eliminated.

I prefer a little protection to none at all (so to speak).

Emmsie dont have any AV on his flightsim machine as well, i dont use this for going on the net only to register a download from FSS i have another machine which i use for all my other buisiness such as browsing forums and all my downloaded Orbx scenery and aircraft go on this machine i must admit i have Norton installed on this one and when i download a file i always give it a scan before sendind it across to my flightsim machine.

cheers

Iain

I went through many years using the JV model with not a single virus, but of late have started using Microsoft Security Essentials (not because of any additional perceived threat but because it's free, non-intrusive, and I've not noticed any performance or resource hit using it).

Nearly all virus infections are the result of user action, directly or indirectly, not because your computer sat passively there whilst some nasty hacker paid a visit down your ethernet cable.

Personally, I'd steer clear of anything invasive like Norton or McAfee, absolute pigs and a bind to get rid of.

Cheers, Iain

I read the previous entries and it appears that we are not all in agreement on this. I believe what John V. is saying about AV but I use my computer to also store business info and I got hacked a month ago. It was someone who used my computer to send out spam and they didn't appear to mess with any of my records. My IT person was quite at a loss to explain how it was done, possibly pure chance.

Now I don't run my computer without virus protection, my computers have AVG Free, freeware.

I have lots more Orbx scenery, any trick to adding more to my signature?

Thanks all,

Cal

Why would you do that? Just because someone says they feel it is not necessary? So having sex without (some suitable form of) protection has never resulted in an unwanted child, but opps this time, darn, wish I had some protection that last time, now I have an unwanted child.

If it ain't broke don't fix it in my view.

Like Cal above I use my machine for extensive services like internet banking, stock trading, compiling income tax and submitting online, purchases, inter bank cash transfers, home business, etc, etc. Better safe than sorry. It's a war our there and I would prefer to win.

Two words, "Sony Playstation"

I run ESET Smart Security (same guys as make NOD32). For a while I tried using Microsoft Security Essentials but then I had a problem that it couldn't detect let alone fix. So I went back to ESET, which identified and fixed the problem immediately. Based on this experience I am wary of no security or even freeware security. Sure you can get away without it and some people never have a problem. But I have a teenager who is always bringing files home from school (not all of it is homework) and so I don't have the luxury of controlling what gets put on the network.

/>http://www.eset.com/home/

Horses for courses...

Cheers,

Noel.

Thanks everyone for your help. I have installed Microsoft essentials and will see how it goes. I am the only one who uses my laptop so I can control everything that is accessed. Dodgey emails are probably the main risk.

Johno

AVGfree, Malawarebytes, Ad-aware, O&Odefrag, and CCleaner. These IMHO are essentials for every responsible pc owner. I built my pc for gaming but I search the internet and watch movies also. So good cleaners, if you have a multitasking pc, are essential. With these tools you will not only keep your pc clean and running nicely, but also keep from spreading other nasties that you dont know you picked up from wherever.

Archived