Open Spaces of Tasmania

and in real life - mouth wateringly brilliant.

:D

Head down to the SW and the Gordon River - try to land on the river. Did it a couple of years ago in real life and it was a heart pounding moment or two as the aircraft descended into a deep twisty ravine. Take off was equally stimulating as the Cessna made several climbing left and right turns following the river to gain sufficient altitude to get above the surrounding terrain albeit not as steep as the arrival.

The aircraft we were on 'went in' a year r so later with no injury other than the pilots ego and reputation.

Andy b

and in real life - mouth wateringly brilliant.

:D

Head down to the SW and the Gordon River - try to land on the river. Did it a couple of years ago in real life and it was a heart pounding moment or two as the aircraft descended into a deep twisty ravine. Take off was equally stimulating as the Cessna made several climbing left and right turns following the river to gain sufficient altitude to get above the surrounding terrain albeit not as steep as the arrival.

The aircraft we were on 'went in' a year r so later with no injury other than the pilots ego and reputation.

Andy b

Nice story Andy, I'll check that one out and if I have time maybe post some pics ;)

Awesome pics Howard and thx for posting.I ts really the best way. We are so blessed to have sooo much awesome scenery to see

its difficult more often than not having the time to explore it all ! I had no internet for a while in June 09, it

was great in a way because I had the time to do a complete tour of Australia with all the regions , and visited every

airfield from the Ozx team as well which was awesome!(I used the same A/C for the entire flight and overnighted, (saved) and then moved on.

I found that to be the best way to see all that we are so lucky to have.

Awesome pics Howard and thx for posting.I ts really the best way. We are so blessed to have sooo much awesome scenery to see

its difficult more often than not having the time to explore it all ! I had no internet for a while in June 09, it

was great in a way because I had the time to do a complete tour of Australia with all the regions , and visited every

airfield from the Ozx team as well which was awesome!(I used the same A/C for the entire flight and overnighted, (saved) and then moved on.

I found that to be the best way to see all that we are so lucky to have.

Hi Johnno, sure, I use that method when I first toured PNW. Google earth on my smaller monitor and flew VFR just using the map and nothing else. It was great to start a flight in the morning, land at night, save the flight and start up the next day from the same small airstrip! I will have done Tasmania in a couple of days so will move onto Queensland I think. Although the flying I have done so far in Aus, I find a little boring. It's probably because it's such a vast area I'm perhaps not exploring the right parts? I have to say, while flying yesterday, it reinstilled am excitement that has been lacking a little recently, mainly because I have spent a bit more time than normal flying the heavies, which is OK, but IMO you can't beat getting low, flying VFR and enjoying the scenery ;)

Good to read about everyone enjoying my home state!! I feel privileged to fly here both in real life and in fsx. I havent traveled outside of australia but i think i will always find tasmania the most beautiful place on earth :)

I think i must see tassie a little bit in my pnw flying.. and no doubt in my NZ flying to come.

Rockliffe im sorry you're finding aus a little boring... but i can understand what you mean. We have just as many beautiful flying locations but as you say, due to our vastness, you will have to look a little harder ;)

Archived