KCMW Terrain Errors?

Jocko Flocko

This should be re-located the FTX Support forum because for some odd reason or other I am unable to create any new posts in that forum due to a bug mentioned in my other post on this foum.

Anyways, I was just wondering if the runway is 'notched' out of the terrain on purpose? As well, I seem to be having a terrain issue regarding the runway bridge at Bear Gulch. My terrain settings are maxed out along with every other FSX setting.

This is at KCMW starting at the default runway heading:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is at Bear Gultch where the airfield crosses the stream, is it supposed to be like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Posted Image

Posted Image

The KCMW runway is dug out a little on that far end, and raised a little on the lake side. FSX can only handle flat runways if you want to have AI traffic, so it stands to reason that in even slightly undulating terrain, you'll get some variation between the airport elevation and the surrounding terrain in places. If you look around at other airports in mountainous areas, you'll see that they all do that to some degree - there's no way around it. But by the way, it's also not uncommon for a real-world airport to be mounded up or dug out of the surrounding terrain to flatten a runway. It's definitely not an error.

I went back flying this afternoon at Bear Gultch and the problem was gone after setting the Mesh Resolution to 5 meters. I was always under the impression that it didn't matter what setting the mesh resolution was set at, as long as it was set higher than the terrain detail one has installed.

Thanks for the info Bill, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't an error on my end as I've never ever ran into any issue's in the past with OrbX products. This is a fantastic piece of scenery btw, very well made and a dream to fly.

Cheers

Jocko

...... I was always under the impression that it didn't matter what setting the mesh resolution was set at, as long as it was set higher than the terrain detail one has installed.

For mesh in general that is true, but NOT for detailed terrain adjustments around airports.

Good to hear you're sorted.

Just out of curiosity, is there a general rule of thumb with the mesh resolution for the FTX airports? 7S3 requires 2m and KCMW requires 5m. Do we have to change it when visiting each airfield?

I use KCMW at 2m without a problem. Haven't seen any problems at any other airports either.

Me neither. I run maxed sliders and so far so good. I have noticed that after using Bojote's tweak program, my textures are a little blurry until I am over top of the terrain looking straight down.

Just out of curiosity, is there a general rule of thumb with the mesh resolution for the FTX airports? 7S3 requires 2m and KCMW requires 5m. Do we have to change it when visiting each airfield?

KCMW requires at least 5m, but it works okay with 2m as well.

Archived