Hudson River splash

tennyson

Hi Guys,

Just saw the most awesome show on Channel 7 last night about Sully Sullenger's splash in the Hudson last year.

What a great all round feel good show.

It was full of interesting facts, experiences by the passengers and how it's changed their lives, some great CGI, showing the ingestion of the birds and the splash in the Hudson.

I, like so many others, have seen the footage a million times and seen a lot of other tell alls about the incident, but there was a little more depth to this one.

It also showed Sully going back to finish off the flight and a nice sequence where him and his wife were strolling down their driveway, discussing how the whole event had changed their lives and that of their children.

I suppose, as was said in the video, that it came at a time when there was dwindling hope in the avaiation industry and this just gave people something good to hone in on.

Was Sully a hero? I think he was (and is). I would certainly fly in an aircraft he was flying. I think many others would, too.

A nice piece of aviation reporting.

Frank

I'd like to point out that Sullenberger's ditching WASN'T the first successful ditching. In 1956, Pan Am Captain Richard 'Dick' Ogg dtiched teh Boeing Stratocruiser Sovereign of the Skies mid-pacific after losing two engines, one with a windmilling propellor, halfway between Hawaii and San Francisco. He ditched the plane by the Coast Guard's Ocean Station November, and all teh crew survived after he circled above the cutter all night for a daylight ditching. His was the first successful ditching, and it occured mid-pacific, and he properly notified the passenger,s whille Captain Sullenberger had a mis-communication between he and the passengers. The Pan Am Flight 6, also known as Pan Am 943 occured in October 1956, and there were no fatalities, no injuries.

Here's great Coast Guard video of the ditching:

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkR4F3_fEUQ

Sully and his co-pilot where just normal everyday pilots who did their jobs extremely well considering the circumstances, and for that we are all thankful, please lets not drag this into yet another --vs-- type argument OK

Cheers

Tim

the air crash investigation program of this was good too, learned alot about the way they found out exactly what type (the geese) and where they had come from, found that it was geese from farther afeild that caused it, not local hudson river geese. i do have to agree, had seen this program before and it wasn't the sensaionalised rubbish that most of these type of programs are, good for a change

I think it was the air crash investigation program that I watch and at one point found myself yelling at the TV when a women (a real bitch) investigator said something like this

" the pilot did not land as he should at the correct speed, he should have been doing 20mph less"

One of them people that has to find fault with a real attitude.

The Pilot was a hero and did "land" at the perfect angle and did save countless life's. Bloody women made my blood boil.

I'd like to point out that Sullenberger's ditching WASN'T the first successful ditching

Who said that it was?

WHat he did was great, but he didn't need to parade across the country like a superstar

and this is relevant to the OP's discussion, how?

:blink:

The media. The media said that it was the first successful ditching of an airliner, and they said everywhere that it was. Although I think if i was in Sully's position I wouldn't have done as much as he did, I would have gone back to my job a wekk or two later, I don't think I would have written a book. I still probably would have taken the job as marshall of the rose parade...

Archived