Australian Air Tours and landing on a hill

Butch

Hi Guys,

I did a trip up with the family to the Blue Mountains over Thursday/Friday, it was freezing! The weather was great, clear blue skies but really windy, 60kph winds and tops of only 6 degrees. Brrrrrrrr...  I knew it was going to be cold but the wind made it just that much colder and so our outfits where entirely inappropriate.

Here are some photo's of the trip, this one if from the other side of the ridge opposite the Three Sister which are on the far left. I have always dreamed of flying a fast jet in a circle around the mountain on the right.

Posted Image

This next one is known as the Zigzag railway, it well...does exactly that, it zigzags down the side of the mountain into a valley. Nice steam train ride but freezing!

Posted Image

When I got back I decided to turf my old 160gig drive for two 320's, I'd just like to say it is such a painful exercise to replace drives particularly if its the OS drive. Hopefully with the new capacity I won't do this again any time soon.

Now onto the flightsiming... when I got back I wanted to do something that made me feel warm. So fired up newly installed FSX and did a flight out of Redcliffe in QLD. I flew a few 'clients' on sightseeing tour of reefs around Moreton Is and to give them a chance to swim in the azure waters I landed on Baroco.

Posted Image

and another... this plane sometime reminds me of a 57' chevy, you know the bulbous nose and chrome. It looks the era...

Posted Image

On approach...

Posted Image

Oh dear, I didn't know that the runway was in fact a small hill and as I approach it wasn't obvious until I was nearly on the ground. I swear that I 'caught air' as I crested the hill errr runway.  ;D

Anyway, full reverse pitch and I nearly demolished my joystick's brake button... but I made it, just! My 'clients' opted for the ferry back...  :D

Posted Image

Thanks for looking, if you are interested in the paint you can get it over here: http://members.optusnet.com.au/francis/yellow1.zip

I am going to do a simple website so I can post all my paints permanently, I dabbled with Frontpage for an hour or so last night and gave it away. I just haven't got the time, maybe next week.

Cheers,

Butch

Nice Pics mate

I hope it wasn't to cold for ye:)

I live near (500mtrs) the top photo and the wind is awfull this time of year

If you go out on the cable car across the valley on the windy days the cable car gets a real nice swing happening << if your game

some poor dude just fell off one of the lookouts yesterday near your top photo also...happens a lot here :o

Guest Aussieman

Yeah Butch it was a tad cool in Lithgow on Friday .... and for most of the week as well. Average temp was about 4 degrees with a wind chill factor of about -4. And Lithgow is a little higher that 500 meters, more like 930 meters. Strange that the sun was shining in Katoomba while it was almost snowing in Lithgow.

That second photo would have been taken at Bottom Points with the main Sydney railway line just below you there.

Bet next time you head up this way you will make sure you have warmer clothing. I can warn you of this .... even in summer we don't pack away all our winter woolies. And there are always blankets at the foot of the bed.

Also next time you head up this way let me know and I will meet you for coffee or lunch at the Workies.

Cheers

Pat

Gents,

Can I tell you we missed the 1:00 train, we got to the Zigzag railway in a cloud of dust at 1:03 and where treated to the train leaving the station! Anyway, so we headed to Lithgow to pass the time to make the 3:00 train. At Lithgow I sensed that it was going to be cold, (I couldn't feel my fingers) so we headed down to Target and got some beanies and gloves. We also had hot chocolates and coffee at the Red Rock cafe, the staff where great and we had the best hot chocs and pastries in a long time.

Here's a photo of the kids (Miguel and Isabella) freezing on the main street of Lithgow.

Posted Image

This is Miguel and me opposite the Three Sisters..  I had a big lunch...  ;D

Posted Image

Anyway. I'll make sure that I let you guys know when we are up next so we can catch up. Although I don't know if you would be interested in catching up with my lot!

BTW, I think the area is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to, so you guys should count yourselves lucky!

Cheers,

Butch

Guest Aussieman

BTW, I think the area is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to, so you guys should count yourselves lucky!

Mate, in the last 14 years I have had several reasons to move on but my love for this city has always kept me here. I would live nowhere else now. The people are so friendly and will say g'day to you even if they don't know you.

Cheers

Pat

Archived