Trip to the Pacific Northwest... Advice please!

Tim Crowell

I am hoping to take a trip to the Pacific Northwest this summer and would love some suggestions considering a substantial amount of the members here live up that way. Haven't made any reservations yet so I'm completely open to anything!

Thanks in advance!

Floatplane sightseeing out Lake Union.  It's just on the NE side of Seattle.  Flys out over Seattle, University of Washington, Lake Washington area.  With a coupon two can go for about 85-90 dollars.  I did it last Fall and loved it.  Here's a link:

http://www.kenmoreair.com/sub_content.php?content_type=33

I'll try and find the coupon site if you are interested in this.

Cheers

Drive up Mt Hood to the Timberline Lodge. The view from up there is spectacular and the Timberline Lodge is not only a National Historic Landmark, it is also the location where the filmed the exterior scenes in the movie The Shining.

If you ski they have summer skiing on the Palmer Glacier. If not there are plenty of hiking trails on the mountain side. Just be prepared for the altitude as it can leave you out of breath on a good hike.

I used to spend summers on Mount Hood, you can rent cheap places in the Government Camp on the base of the mountain. Wake up early and go skiing in the morning. Finish skiing around 11:30 and head back down to Government Camp for some lunch. Then head over to the Columbia Gorge in the afternoon from some Windsurfing. There is no better way to spend a summer that's foresure.

We spent a month there last April (stayed an extra two weeks because of the volcano in Iceland). We started and finished in Vancouver having driven 6,000 miles. It was amazing. I'd recommend driving to Squamish, Whistler, up to Pemberton, Vancouver city of course. Take a ferry to Vancouver Island and drive to Tofino on the West coast and take a bear and whale watching trip. Drive to Seattle, the Cascade National Parks, Stopping at Concrete, Northbend (hike Mount Si, one of the 'twin peaks' from the tv series - the town is where it was filmed), Snowqualmie falls, drive to the 'desert side' of the Cascades through Yakima. Hike up Mt. Rainier (stay in Packwood, real nice small town with the kindest locals who helped us when our car broke down). Hike around Mt.  Baker. Visit The Olympic Peninsular taking in the Hoi rainforest and Ruby Beach (you can also take the ferry to Vancouver Island from Port Angeles, still in the US). Hike around Mt. St. Helens (one of the best things we did - stunning). Because we were stuck there for two weeks extra, we drove to the Northern Rockies as far Banff which is beautiful with some great hikes especially around Lake Louise. Oosoyos which is Canada's  only desert is worth a look as a good stopover point in between as well as Hope. We visited a lot of other places along the way. There is loads to do but all of the places we visited were excellent. If I had to narrow it down to the must do, they'd be Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Rainier, Banff, Tofino, and Vancouver and the surrounding area (Grouse Mountain, Squamish etc.). I'd also recommend taking a scenic tour in a light aircraft (check out the video I uploaded a couple of days ago of our trip from Chilliwack over the Cascades)

I hope these few ideas help. You are spoilt for choice, believe me.

Cheers

Steve

Tim,

I see your from GA.  How are you traveling to the PNW?  If your going by automobile then I have a great one day excursion you may enjoy.  Although it is in Lewiston, ID (360+- miles east of KSEA).  You would pass that way driving. 

They have day trips via jet boat up the Snake River into Hells Canyon.  This is the deepest canyon in North America (yep deeper than the Grand Canyon but not as vertical.)  You will enjoy it I'm sure.  I do not recall the price but it is in the $80 range per person and includes lunch along the river at the end of the road.  From that point only way to get to a cabin is by boat.  Should see lots of wild life, Indian Pictographs great scenery, just a good day's fun.

Boats are about 40-50 passenger jet boats.

Not aviation but lots of fun.

Dragnhorn: That sounds awesome! Send me the link for the coupon if you can!

I'm flying and I'll only be there for a week at most, and some of that week I'm thinking about spending in the Anchorage, AK area doing some white water rafting (!). I'll probably fly into Seattle and spend 3 or 4 days there before flying up to anchorage. Again, It's all in my head for now, and those of you that know better may convince me to do something else entirley!

The Timberline Lodge sounds like an amazing experience, as do your ideas steve! It sounds like I may need to make a second trip!

Thanks for the suggestions and keep em coming!

Archived