Idea...

SJT375

Maybe this is to early, as ORBX has not gotten to the Southern Rocky Mountains yet, but I was recently there, and I had an idea.

What if ORBX were to do a ski town/airport (for example telluride, as featured in the fsx mission). Close by, there is a airport, typically dangerous or on a cliff. Than there is a quaint little ski town, amazing mountain ranges, (maybe a little ambitious), Ski lifts and (DEFINITELY ambitious) the possibility of peopleflow skiers.

I personally feel that this is the type of thing orbx has been doing (small town with small airport), and I feel the next logical step would be a ski resort. 

Opinions?

Simple answer........ possible, but only in a very restricted and bespoke to each location format.

Full answer.......This is because the people flow have fixed animations which loop and occur at a specific point in space. They therefore rely on flat surfaces to operate as it's impossible to vertically animate people to elevation terrain data within the sim, they are completely different entities within the sim.

It would be dead easy to animate some looping skiers, thats no problem....the problem would be making them 'stick' to the mountain side as they ski down, that's just not something FSX can do, so you would have skiers either flying in the air or burried in the mountain side on their way down. As the FSX terrain mesh is variable depending on resolution and mesh packages, but the peopleflow animation is a constant and would not adapt to changes in mountain surface approximation.

The only way of doing it would be to have a section of mountain side as a model (not elevation terrain, but a created section of geometry) that has a known and constant angle, the people flow skiers could then be animated to that known constant angle and it would work well. However, the issue would then be blending the geometry section of mountain side with the FSX terrain mountain side..... Nothing is easy with FSX development.

Russ.

... i don´t think that this is a new idea, but as i have not read about it before...:

What about peopleflow along some of the beaches in Australia, Tasmania and the upcomming New Zealand - not everywhere though ... but at the more densly populated areas at the coasts ... would that be something? With some sunshades, surfboards maybe?!

Txs for the explanation Russ, I was already wondering how you managed to get the little guys moving around. I think the people flow is powerfull at airports and maybe inside little towns, but think of the workload ski resorts and beaches would throw at our systems!

Txs for the explanation Russ, I was already wondering how you managed to get the little guys moving around. I think the people flow is powerfull at airports and maybe inside little towns, but think of the workload ski resorts and beaches would throw at our systems!

Fear that too keeszondag... but maybe some static people, as they are allready available with many add-on airports (and with not that much of an impact i think) ... just to bring some folks out there...

hmmm... at the beach it would maybe enough if they were just lying around comfortably in the sand and enjoyning the sun  8)

... i don´t think that this is a new idea, but as i have not read about it before...:

What about peopleflow along some of the beaches in Australia, Tasmania and the upcomming New Zealand - not everywhere though ... but at the more densly populated areas at the coasts ... would that be something? With some sunshades, surfboards maybe?!

People don't use the beaches much in Tasmania. It is either too cold or the risk is too great of ending up in New Zealand due to wind gusts.

We could have people flow depict characters on a continuing round trip to the bar in a beer garden - very Australian.

Andy b

Don't get too carried away. I really like the People Flow around the tarmacs but truth is when I am flying over a town or ski resort at 7500 feet traveling at 200 knots. I am too high and too fast to notice or care about any of the people down there.

In the PNW and NRM their are textures showing ski resorts which IMHO is the perfect balance between eye candy and performance. Meaning when I am traveling at 7500 feet and 180 knots I can see that there is a ski resort there and that is good enough. Start adding chair lifts....maybe. People, maybe not as the FPS is compromised and a pilot should not be looking at people on the ground when flying an airplane anyways.

People don't use the beaches much in Tasmania. It is either too cold or the risk is too great of ending up in New Zealand due to wind gusts.

We could have people flow depict characters on a continuing round trip to the bar in a beer garden - very Australian.

Andy b

;D - okay, then let´s stay in Australia when it comes down to beaches!! - really like the idea of the beergarden-roundabouts... especially when imagining what it will look like after some more beers :D !!

but ...: what about textures maybe... i agree 100% here: neither textures, nor peopleflow would make real sense when flying high and fast...

but on the other hand i think it´s just a matter of fact that some of these areas are just really crowded a many days a year now... no misunderstandings here:

it´s really not a must have or so, but i just like to think about it a little, and e.g. when i just take a quick look at one of Sydney´s beaches at GoogleEarth , then i see this (captured at: S 33°56'53,57"/E 151°15'26,57" ; approx: 650 feet above ground) - sure: looks strange and funny somehow... not that many, but still: i think it´s people there  ;):

Posted Image

if I may add, when I first started this discussion for Telluride, I brought up peopleflow because it is very popular there for gliders to fly right over the ski resort

That's cool.....It is also spectacular for Screen Shots as well.

The thing about this hobby is as soon as you get your Flight Sim settled in around 30 FPS someone raises the bar and adds another level of realism, which lowers the framerates back down to 15 to 25 again...you buy another hardware upgrade and your back up to 30 fps....and yet another level or realism is added on. And so the perpetual cycle continues.

I would take the perpetual cycle over settling anyday as 10 years from now I am sure you will be able to see and hear annoying people talking on their cellphones walking up and down the town with AI vehicular traffic stopping at traffic lights and driving down the roads more like in the real world.  ;D

Archived