Future of lcd's (and our simming)

marshkop

Im wondering where they are hiding all the hardware that "runs" these screens. I can't imagine that is in the glass, so while the promo video looks nice and clean, would the reality be that somewhere nearby is a giant PC/server that is feeding all this data. Certainly these screens would need to be wireless, but they still need some kind of other hardware to power and run the operating system?

And not to mention the cost! Much of this would certainly be well out of the reach of any mainstream consumers, at least in the first stages.

While the technology may be not too far off, the reality of this being common place I think will be a lot further away.

What do you guys and gals think?

The other side of the thought coin is that, looking at that video, it seems everyone in it is being "overloaded" with information. If we have all this technology surrounding us, there is certainly a very high risk of information overload (it is happening already with today's technology). There will be a breaking point where the evolution of technology speeds way ahead of the evolution of the human brain to handle it all (again seems to be happening already) and there will be a revolt/boycott/backlash against this overload and progression. Humans may want to just get outside and go for a bush walk on the raw mother earth to escape the bombardment of information flowing into their heads??

They wouldn't need much hardware to run them - just a display driver, some memory and an IP address (and they said IP6 would last for a "very long time"!  ::)), certainly no bigger than a cellphone. And that stuff can be made very thin, and virtually printed onto the edge of the substrate.

Mind you, I can't see me paying hundreds or possibly thousands to have a tv on my fridge door (50p for some fridge magnets is about my style)... my desk is buried under 3ft of clutter (and always will be), so the interactive touch desk is useless... I'd be happy to have a giant wall sized TV, only it'd be buried behind tables, furniture, pictures and the kinds of things real people have in their living rooms... the blackout glass (which is already available but very expensive) is fine, but you'd still need to buy blinds/curtains for when the power failed... And as for the electronic bathroom mirror...  :o (a) I can barely focus that time in the morning and (B) it would only be useful if it made me look like George Cloony, and the better half like Emily Blunt...

I think it's very much an exercyse in "style" over practicality (does anybody really use a transparent glass whiteboard in real life? I mean, really?), and much of that simply won't catch on. But I do fear we will soon be seeing (or walking into) giant wraparound avertising hoardings, and electronic bus shelters/POIs...

I'm sure at the moment there is a lot of wires and electronics behind the walls, but this is an advertisement made on a movie/TV production set.

How far away?  At the rate of development of convergent technology there is no reason to doubt that it is just around the corner. Six months, two years, but some expensive installations for the early and rich adopters.

And a Touch Screen - that's old hat.  But Corning Ware was always about mixing bowls and cooking stuff wasn't it?  Everyone wants a new market.  And like Tim_A, but for a different reason, we all have to start separating needs from wants.  In my case my need for a 2600K is of course life changing - a must have.

Archived