I hate to bring this up, but...

martinc

Hi folks,

Running into a serious performance issue recently. Shocking blurries, plane textures disappearing on change of view and taking ages to recover, loong terrain load times...and a GPS that seems to be failing to update.

Now my problem, and please understand this is only speculation at the moment, there is a LOT more system testing to do.

This has only occurred recently.

The only three system changes were.

1 loaded the latest ORBX release.

2 updated latest DX version.

3 loaded latest NVIDIA drivers for XP (175.16)

I'm currently running 2 gig of good RAM, a GEforce 8500 GT and an old P4 processor running at 3.4 gig, a bit on the edge, but adequate so far as long as i didn't expect anything super. Now things seem to be going down the gurgler.

Diagnostics so far.

Clean up system files.

Defrag.

Regclean.

Tune video settings.

Rollback video driver to previous version. No effect.

Which brings me to my worry....Has anybody else with a system on the edge had a drop off in performance since installing the latest release?. (sorry guys, like i said only speculating at the moment).

My next step is to rollback to prior to the last release and see if that has any effect.

Question is how? if i just switch off the latest scenery areas in the library, will that effectively roll me back to the earlier version? or do i need to go further than that.

Any thoughts, speculations, ideas gladly welcomed.

Cheers

Martin C.

Sorry to hear you're having problems...  My experience is quite the opposite.  I find that the performance with the latest drivers seems to be quite a significant improvement, especially in respect of the blurries.  I did have a bit of a mid distance blurry problem with the previous drivers, but it does seem to be better with the latest ones, also the FR seems to have improved a few percent, maybe up to 10%...

Here's hoping you find a solution.

Cheers

Thanks Chris,

One thing i didnt bring up in the previous post, because it had slipped my mind. Has anyone had any performance issues with the fswidget ?. I'll test that tomorrow and see if it makes a difference

Having the excact same thing happen to me as well  Martin!!!

Its driving me nuts Ive done video benchmarks tests ,ram test hdd test , psu .....all fine! other programs all fine....

Fs widgets is a pain but the have same the issues as above  above if i use widgets or not !

Stupid machine will also lock up when I go from full screen to windowed  but not all the time!

and yes I defag once a week! and know how to service my Baby!

I've been very busy of late so have not have time to look at the issue...and have not been Flying in FSX because it annoys me when I just want to relax and go flying and all this crap happens  ??? 

It will be a few more weeks before I will have any time on my hands to eather fly or look at this software issue so if you come up with anything let me know !

Cheers Andy. >:( >:(>:(

If it makes you feel any better, since Sunday my system has been plagued with a chronic case of the "jerkies". I have tried just about every trick in the book but for the life of me I cannot understand what has suddenly caused this severe jittering. So far I have done a reformat of my FS drive, reinstall of FSX, defrag, reinstall FTX, defrag and also tried the new 175.16 (XP 32-bit) drivers. Nothing is getting rid of the jerkies. This is the first time in about 3-4 years where I have not been able to resolve a performance issue quickly.

It seems something external to my FSX environment has caused this, perhaps even an MS automatic update.

Gents,

little point of attention for the Vidacrd issues, nHancer saves it's profiles nVidia does this also the trick is to lcate them, do a search for enhancer and all files related should come up the same applies for nVidia or ATI for that matter.

When Installing "New Drivers" make sure to cleanout all related files for the old ones, as sometimes this can cause conflicts,

what I do is that I copy the folder where for example nVidia unpacks it's drivers to my external HD, and as more drivers get there they are all nicely sorted by number, so in case of "Malfunction" I fire up the external HD point the installer to the version I want to install and you are up in no time ;)

[br]Posted on: 01-07-2008, 14:51:56

[br] [DOUBLE POST AUTOMERGE:] ouch that sounds nasty John

I guess I can't help much beyond saying that the new driver is a clear improvement for me.  I have some shimmering in masts and poles, but that I think is because I have set the AA at 4x.  I like to have as much AI as possible (not the default but that's another story).

However do you use NHancer, the freeware download that allows you to set-up your NVidia card and stop it reverting to the pre-set defaults that are less than perfect.

I strongly recommend it, and you can go across to Simviation and read the sticky by NickN the resident guru there, who has done more than anyone to make me stick to FSX when my first response was to chuck it on the bottom shelf as a bad investment.

Jerkiness is often related to TBM, the bandwith setting and it might be worth experimenting around 40-80 to see what works there.  It also can dissipate just by letting the game run for a while.  It seems in some cases to settle down. John V you seem to be doing it hard, but have you checked your .cfg settings?  I am sure that you have but it seems to me that every new driver needs a reset.  I have also found that the bigger the load of add-ons, especially aircraft the slower it all becomes.

As to DX10 I have written it off, and apart from the once I have never enabled it.   It was a real con job on which the unthreaded, non DX10 FSX could not deliver.

Sorry, we all seem to be posting at once.  There is a freeware 'Driver Sweeper', (I'm away from home so I can't give you the URL), that is important to use after you have used the Control Panel to uninstall the installed driver.  It cleans out any residue, and then I install the new driver, so far without problem.

It works for me, others may like to try it.

Yes Video drivers arrrh i sorted that hassle out a few months back.... but they can be updated by Mr Nobodys whilsts one works.... howeveri dont think its that.

The delay when changing view may be  video issue...but its almost like a memory or processor issue!

As I said have not had a lot of time to look as the issue !....but will ...soon.

When I had problems with Nvidia drivers I uninstalled from control panel then I used a neat utility called driver sweeper to find and delete all the old drivers - it can do a search on brand name drivers such as nvidi video and chipset, ATI and a few others - I was getting an error when trying to access the nvidia control panel - a simple uninstall/reinstall did not do the trick until I had cleaned out all the old drivers - be careful what you clean out though it also located my raid drivers which I did not wan to mess with.

Well, it's nice to hear I'm not the only one.

I installed the new 175.18 drivers and have had the jerkies too, just like you, John.

My system was running sweet before the update so I got a feeling it may be the nhancer thing as I still got it going.

I'm gonna take wolter's advice and uninstall nhancer and see if it does the trick.

Mind you I have just also installed the new browser mode of FSWidget but it is so nice to use. Come to think of it, I'm getting the jerkies while that is running. I might also try running without FSWidget first to see if it is that prog.

Thanx guys,

Frank

Talk about the "jerkies" I've had jerkies for months. I've done EVERYTHING I can think of to get rid of them. It REALLY distracts from the feel of flying. Seeing the trees"move then stop, move then stop" is very annoying. I run ATI 3870 and overclocking it does nothing. My Kingdom For The Answer!

those new drivers (175.19) are for vista only and only 7 / 8 series cards lots of people having weird problems over on Guru3d forums.

175.16 are for xp and seem to work fine, but nhancer was causing some problems until I removed it. ;D

Hi folks,

Glad to see this has raised some discussion. Given me a few good pointers to work on. The one about CPU throttling is interesting. I'm getting frame rates between about 12-20 where its locked and these shocking blurries, a debug on the cpu shows peaking loads around 100% and idle loads around 60-70 %. If i'm getting good FR and lousy graphics then i'm going to start looking at an imbalance between CPU and GPU. Time to get down to some serious systems analysis.

Let you know how i get on.

Cheers

MC

OK problem solved. It was a video driver corruption. Did a driver clean and then reverted to the latest Dell OEM set and she's back to normal. Oh well, my FSX installation was due for purge anyway  ;D ;D

JV, do you have a recommended driver cleaning app?  I've never used one so am a bit in the dark with these...

Cheers

OK problem solved. It was a video driver corruption. Did a driver clean and then reverted to the latest Dell OEM set and she's back to normal. Oh well, my FSX installation was due for purge anyway  ;D ;D

JV, do you have a recommended driver cleaning app?  I've never used one so am a bit in the dark with these...

Cheers

I use Driver Cleaner Pro.

Cheers

I use Driver Cleaner Pro.

Thanks John, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Hi folks,

Seem to be making progress. Taken a two step approach, stripped and cleaned the drivers and removed FS widget. I think it came down to the fact that performance was on the ragged edge and a combination of new drivers and the widget running process'es just pushed it over the edge. Oh, well i planning a new machine once i get back from my next trip so we'll see where we go from there...

Thanks for all the input.

Cheers

MC

Archived