Is it possible

kjrman

Hello,

New simmer here, I was wondering if a person had 3 large screen LCD's, could you put them at right angles and have the two side screens show the left and right view respectively?  To clarify, I've seen people with three screens however they are all angled at approximately 45 degrees or so.  I'm wondering if I had three, it would be like having track IR only without the track required, to look out the left window, you turn your head and look out the left window if I'm making any sense.  I think the trick would be setting up the views so that the boarders of each view fell at the door hinges, then it would be as if you were truly setting in a 152 (almost actual size LOL).

Sorry for the rambling, I just happen to have a really good space for this and was wondering if it were possible.

Thanks in advance,

Kelly

I would guess that the way to get this to work would require two additional windows being opened with the left bracket ( [ ) key, undocking them and dragging them to the other screens, and then setting the view in those windows to the left and right snap views respective to their position in your homemade cockpit. I would have to warn you though on the extreme toll this will take on your system. It would be comparable to running three instances of FSX at the same time!

I am reposting this from mycockpit.org because it shows the performance you can get from a three monitor, wide field of view system. Instead of the Intel 980X, I believe you could use the new Sandy Bridge 2600K at 4.8Ghz and get nearly the same performance.

I wanted to report the results of some tests that I was fortunate to be able to run on a new PC with a 980X 6 core CPU running at 4.0 Ghz (CL7 memory timing) with an Nvidia 470 connected to a Matrox triple Head 2 Go. Three monitors were connected to the TH2Go for three separate windowed, independent views with a large field of view (210 deg) - the center large screen (a projector)at Zoom=.33 which provides +-45 degrees and the two side views (55" HDTVs) centered at directly sideways with +-30 degrees (Zoom = .7). Two additional monitors were running a helicopter instrument panel and a GPS display. I realize that using three independent PCs could provide even more performance but the goal here was just to see the performance with a single PC system. The Scenery settings were pretty modest but still fine for a good scene particularly when using the FlyTampa Hong Kong scenery. It was found that Vsync could be left off (providing higher frame rates) when using the TH2Go since it provides the final sync and removes the picture tearing. This system would be usable for a home cockpit that wants to keep it simple. Smoothness was also very important (particularly for hovering and high rate tail rotor turns)and internal/external limiters were shown to provide some improved fluidity. Framerates listed below were without any limiting. The monitors were also driven straight without a Th2Go using a second video card but UsePools=0 caused some artifacts and RejectThreshold had to be utilized - frame rates were somewhat lower.

(3 x 1400x900 views) (Aniso=8x,AA=8xQ)

Dense Scenery - Normal Autogen - test with yaw rate

NOTE: Scenery Settings Med, 38,38,1,Mid 1.x, no traffic

Field of View (90,60,60 - .33,.7,.7) Weather=Building Storms, TOD=day/dusk

Increased Load - Light Traffic, Very Dense Scenery, More res, Water Low 2.x, Dusk

----------------------Baseline --- Inc Load

-----------------------day/dusk

Scenery Location

Megascenery Seattle

Downtown------ 60/45 --- 40

KSEA 34R------60/50 --- 41

KBFI 31L------- 54/44 --- 41

KRNT 33-------- 52/44 --- 47

KSEA ramp------ 53/40 --- 40

FlyTampa HongKong

Airport Gates 54/37---32

helipad 1------ 70/50 --- 41

helipad 2------ 71/51 --- 40

Megascenery Socal

KLAX 25L-------62/46 --- 40

KLAX 25R------- 64/55 --- 39

KLAX at tower-- 68/60 --- 46

KSAN 27-------- 87/85 --- 50

KPSP G1-------- 100/80 --- 55

KCRQ 6----------90/70 --- 50

Aerosoft Nice, France-- 55/53 --- 40

Aerosoft Monte Carlo--- 62/55 --- 41

Megascenery Oahu

Downtown------- 80/65 --- 55

mtns----------- 85/80 --- 54

Megascenery NewYork

KLGA------------50/40--- 35

Downtown------- 50/40--- 31

Tweaks Applied:

UsePools=0, Matrox TH2Go ( Vsync=0), FFTF=0.05, display.cfg, from Bojote/Needham list.

Archived