no winter textures

Ken Hall

I thought I had just lost the snow , but on closer inspection I realise it's the whole winter textures. They must be in the system somewhere as I was able to reactivate them briefly by disabling the bufferpools in the cfg file . But alas there gone again so It must have been a coincidense. Is there a way to manually turn on the winter textures in the config file?

cheers

Hi Mark,

it's not possible to "lose" winter or hard winter textures unless you remove them from the FTX folders. Moreover, if you did you would see the default textures not other FTX season textures. Thus, the only way to have a season not show up would be through a custom seasons file that doesn't include winter. Are you using another land class add-on for Australia, like the Cloud9 product? Also, are your FTX entries at the top of the scenery library menu and in the correct order?

To double-check, go to S42 E146 and switch to August (winter). Do you not see the snow textures on the mountains?

Cheers, Holger

Thx Holger, but I believe that somehow fsx is not jumping to the winter files at start up, If I load up winter textures from start, I get autumn, If I then load up spring, I get spring, then if I change to winter I get winter. I have to go to another season 1st, I can't just select winter from the normal start menu, hope this gives you a clue.

cheers,

Ken

Hi Ken,

you need to keep in mind that FSX doesn't choose ground texture variants on a by-season basis; in this regard the option for selecting a specific season in the Time & Season menu can be misleading. Rather, it's a file that, for any given sq km of ground, for each month of the year, tells the sim which seasonal variant to display on that particular sq km. Thus, it's possible that if you select winter as a season you may indeed see fall textures because that's how our season file for that particular area is coded. This allows for a much better approximation of the real-world seasons, which change at different times locally depending on elevation, latitude, climate, and topography. For example, throughout the winter months, the snow covered areas in the mountains of Tasmania first appear in July, expand in August, shrink again in September, and disappear in October.

Something else to consider is that your saved flight situation may have an influence too. For example, if you save a flight situation with active snowfall, regardless of the actual season, that flight will always re-load with the hard winter textures. Thus, if you encounter oddities related to the initial flight it's always a good idea to create a different flight situation.

Cheers, Holger

G'day Ken,

Bingo, how about that winter starts in July

Holger alluded to it before, but I thought I should paraphrase as well. In a specific location winter might start in July, however in a different location - say for example at a location at a lower elevation - winter might start in August.

Archived