Getting ready for Avalon

Bandit

Well site construction is well underway and the volunteer army is gearing up for the Australian International Airshow (March 1-6) or as us locals call it  'Avalon'.

I am heading down to Avalon site for a pre show meeting in a week or so but by all accounts its looking like its going to be a biggy especially the military side. So much so that its looking like we will have the loop blocked between charlie and bravo taxiways and parking heavy metal all the way down Alpha..

Rumour has it we will have a static B2 and a F22 demo - but as we say on the tarmac - unless its over the threshold, flaps down , gear down and cutting throttles...

Cant wait.  ;D

Ditto ...

Annoyed they don't fly the F-111 anymore !!

However , I love all things to do with aviation , and look forward at all six days

of it.

Cheers

Karol

PS , you will recognise me , I'll be the guy sobbing into his 30th cup of coffee, forlorn

that there are no more dump and burns.

The Bone looks good either on the ground or in the air.

Many years ago a Vulcan did a flyby at the Laverton airshow.

Loud enough to rattle the ribcage and all therein.

Would love to see the Typhoon and Gripen , my wish list.

Cheers

Karol

The Bone looks good either on the ground or in the air.

Many years ago a Vulcan did a flyby at the Laverton airshow.

Loud enough to rattle the ribcage and all therein.

Would love to see the Typhoon and Gripen , my wish list.

Cheers

Karol

I was lucky enough to get a guided tour of the B-one under orders of the show air boss a few years back - awesome aircraft.

As for the Typhoon & Gripen -  I hear that the Brits und da Germans are invited to celebrate the RAAF's 90th so who knows?  ;D

Iain

I only hope that the massive  RAF defence cuts in the UK do not  impact on the

wonderful UK airshows.

I still cannot believe that the magnificent Harrier is is going to be put out to pasture.

Its frightening , but I suspect the USA will end up with similar cuts , or else be

dragged under by their totally irresponsible level of national debt.

It will be a sad time for the defence aviation industry , especially coming on top of

all the industry closures over the past 20 years.

Cheers

Karol

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a weekend Air Ground operations planning meeting at airshow HQ in Avalon.

Its going to be chockers. So much so that the RAAF are going need to lay a stack of airfield matting to park some of the extras on the grass.

On the parking plan there is the usual assortment of aircraft including:

•  
  • Almost all of Temora's aircraft (the Canberra wont make it as it is in for maintenance)

• C17s (USA & Oz)

• B1-B

• B52

• F16s

• F18 Rhinos
  and....

F22 Raptors (yes plural so one will fly)

There is also space on the parking map marked out for a large bat shaped aircraft not seen in Oz before.

Naturally, as with all military aircraft, appearances are subject to operational requirements.  As I hear more I will update.

Missed it 2 years ago, but not this time.

Got a Friday Gold pass for morning entry and grandstand seats.

Driving down (about 9 hours) and then leaving Melbourne for Tasmania, sailing on the Spirit of Tasmania around 9pm.

Wife is coming to help with the driving, but I couldn't leave her in the carpark, so had to pay for 2 tickets  ;D

Driving down (about 9 hours) and then leaving Melbourne for Tasmania, sailing on the Spirit of Tasmania around 9pm.

Wife is coming to help with the driving, but I couldn't leave her in the carpark, so had to pay for 2 tickets  ;D

give yourself heaps of time mate the traffic after the airshow is shocking and then you have to drive to port melbourne with most of the traffic heading towards melbourne

and then get on the spirit

give yourself heaps of time mate the traffic after the airshow is shocking and then you have to drive to port melbourne with most of the traffic heading towards melbourne

and then get on the spirit

iirc the show goes past 9pm doesn't it?

The couple times I've been Friday it's dark before the air displays finish and given DST is still in effect sunset has to be around 8:30-9pm in March???

EDIT: Just checked the webpage - "Flying Displays from 3pm to 9pm (approx.)" - http://www.airshow.net.au/avalon2011/airshow/program.html

21 days and counting.This will be my third ''Avalon'' and hopefully a few more after this one.

The F-22 is going to be a real Highlight, but What Iff..... an under the wraps and an unscheduled re-appearance of the F-111.

Apart from stealing the Lime Light the Pig still has the ''WoW'' factor as a show stopper and crowd pleaser.

B_F.

The F-22  should be interesting to see , wonder if they will let it do its stuff .

Been to the old Laverton airshows then the Avalon ones.

The best spectacle of all was a Friday night when the cloud base virtually was at ground level,

the F-111 loomed out of the mist like a ghostly apperition  , it was awesome , you could hear the hornets

way up high , but only the F-111 could come down and be visible , it showed the capability that

Australia used to have and proved beyond doubt its worth.

Its odd but nothing at the coming airshow  will be able to match its top speed.

An Aussie magazine was selling that shot  at $149.00 .

Hope the rain lets up for the next 3 weeks .

Cheers

Karol

Archived