Serious Complaint

Old Archie

Since AU Blue and Gold came out I have hundreds of dollars of payware 'Heavy Iron' sitting totally unused in my hangar!!  I am totally converted to GA VFR flying and fly exclusively in Oz now.  Butch has just released some Aussie repaints of the incredible Digital aviation Piper Cheyenne, so my flight sim experience is almost complete (just waiting for AU Green to hit the PC so I can buzz my home in Cairns!).  So, thanks a lot guys!  PS Anyone wanna buy a slightly used PMDG 747X???  ;D

yea, I know that feeling, I have not flow in any other area since FTX, at least for not more than 5 min.  I think ORBX needs to refund all of the money I spent on other scenery packages.  Curse you ORBX! :)

Your complaints have been lodged with the Orbx PR department. I got their reply a short time ago:

Dear John,

We understand our customers' frustrations about their inability to take advantage of their larger aircraft addons. Please advise them that a solution is coming shortly when we release YMML Melbourne International which will allow them to land, park, grab a taxi to Essendon airport and resume their GA activities.

Sincerely,

Ernest Winkle

Orbx PR Chief

Your complaints have been lodged with the Orbx PR department. I got their reply a short time ago:

Dear John,

We understand our customers' frustrations about their inability to take advantage of their larger aircraft addons. Please advise them that a solution is coming shortly when we release YMML Melbourne International which will allow them to land, park, grab a taxi to Essendon airport and resume their GA activities.

Sincerely,

Ernest Winkle

Orbx PR Chief

haha!

Great thread.  But as I can fly the heavy iron from YMML. or YMAV to YSSY, YBCG. YBBN within Blue and Gold, I am dead keen to get my credit card on to FTX YMML.  I know that you don't give dates, but how do you feel that it is coming along, and can your fans retain hope for its release, soon, soonish, later or maybe?

Great thread.  But as I can fly the heavy iron from YMML. or YMAV to YSSY, YBCG. YBBN within Blue and Gold, I am dead keen to get my credit card on to FTX YMML.  I know that you don't give dates, but how do you feel that it is coming along, and can your fans retain hope for its release, soon, soonish, later or maybe?

Soonish is probably the most honest answer but no later than later :D, we had a work shop at Johns place today where we worked though some vital planning which has put us in a good space for the project... but there is still much to do. Either way i would hedge your virtual fuel prices asap your gonna need it soon....ish

Welcome to the dark side Archie,  those tube liner flyers with their GPS and ACARS, FMC's etc  is a very much different form of flying and is more like a bus with wings. The GA Pilot in FS9 and FSX has so much variety in scenery and accuracy in representation of actual places that I can't comprehend flying at 38000 Ft plus when there is so much to be seen and explored at 10000 Ft and below.

Guest Private-Cowboy

That is really a problem. I'm also a Level-D pilot but since FTX is here I have flown her only twice (once into Sydney, and once into TNCM). Before FTX I flew here at least once a week. Glad to say this is my only airliner. But recently I planned to add another one like the 747X but to be perfectly honest, that would not make much sense anymore. So I scrapped the idea. FTX totally converted me into a VFR-GA-Guy. Sadly my GA fleet is still small and no really nice GAs out there. I've the Mooney M20J, the Twin Otter and the H-1 - I wan't more but there isn't really atm.

That is really a problem. I'm also a Level-D pilot but since FTX is here I have flown her only twice (once into Sydney, and once into TNCM). Before FTX I flew here at least once a week. Glad to say this is my only airliner. But recently I planned to add another one like the 747X but to be perfectly honest, that would not make much sense anymore. So I scrapped the idea. FTX totally converted me into a VFR-GA-Guy. Sadly my GA fleet is still small and no really nice GAs out there. I've the Mooney M20J, the Twin Otter and the H-1 - I wan't more but there isn't really atm.

Take a look at the Dreamfleet Dakota, and my personal favourite, the Digital Aviation Piper Cheyenne, both awesome GA aircraft mate!  Glad to see you over here PC, last time I talked to you it was on the Super 80 Forums trying to get the FSX conversions for the McPhat paintjobs!  ;)

Guest Private-Cowboy

Thanks for the suggestions. However I've heard not only good things about the Dakota. The 16bit Garmin trainer in there causes a lot of problem and crashes for some folks I know. And to be perfectly honest, I like the looks of my Mooney M20J a little more. The Dakota surely is a great plane but I'm not sure if I want her. She's very similar to my M20J in respect to size, speed, range etc.

The Cheyenne is great but I've some problems with the DA staff and will not support them by buying any product from them. Surely that is my loss but there where ugly things goeing down in the DA forum. No place here to discuss that (what happens on the DA forum stays on the DA forum) but my business with DA has come to an end for sure. I want nothing to do with those people.

Maybe the Dakota some day, who knows. But for the time beeing I'll enjoy what I have. Although the desire to get something new is strong atm.  ;D

Guest Private-Cowboy

Maybe, we'll see. A friend of mine from work who still flies the CheyenneX still cannot program the Trimble manually without crashing to the desktop.

• 2 weeks later...

Back on the topic, I find flying the Level D, even the PMDG 747, the really good Wilco Airbus series, and soon the Ejet series, between Melbourne, Perth (a good long haul distance), Sydney and Brisbane makes for a good experience.

As does flying your favourite GA from Mallacoota, Orbost or dozens of other places - and always Lilydale with the Aussim Warrior or the Carenado Mooney to enjoy fantastic VFR.

This is one of the major step forwards in scenery for this country and it has made Australian flying so addictive.

But I have the UTs so I do fly North America and Europe, so there is still a lot to do.

Hi Archie!

I also am a Cairns boy from Earlville.

Want to catch up for a Coffee and chat one of these days?

I also am looking forward to GREEN as well as Bungo's Townsville scenery. It looks GREAT. Maybe we can have him to have a go at Cairns?

All the best and get in touch!

Skype name is rapture777

This thread set me thinking....

I too am mostly an airliner fan and love getting my 767 into the air then relaxing back in cruise looking at the world passing by. What would be marvellous is for the world to remain FTX-created even at higher levels.

What I mean is, I have been checking out FS Altitude, the new program that replaces textures but only at high altitudes over W Europe. They state that within FSX, when you climb higher, the low level textures are replaced by larger scale textures viewed higher up, but you still get repetitious patterns. They claim that they replace these boring textures with photo imagery and I have to admit that the video is quite impressive. My concern is that as you come down, the beautiful high level textures will be replaced by local textures and the crossover could be quite jarring.

Which made me think : what if Orbx were to take "photos" of Aus from high level with the AU Blue / Gold etc packages in place, and then used these pics after downsampling to create high level textures? This way, the jet pilot sees the beautiful Orbx landscape up high, and the transition as you descend would be smooth?

I am not sure if this is technically possible but I dont see why not. Personally, I would be very happy to pay for such a package and it appears many other jet-ers might too. And as you have already done the ground work with creating the landscape in the first place, it shouldnt be too challenging...

Any thoughts...?

ravey

I am also a super fan of the tube liners, 737900ER (my favourite) and the Level D 767.

I must say I spend a lot of time admiring the scenery, once I get the aircraft to cruise altitude.

My experience has changed since ORBX entered my horizon and it will never be the same. Before, the most important part about FSX was the aircraft, procedures, take-off, landing and taxi to the gate.

Now it is a visual experience, where familiar landmarks and beautiful "V" shots fill my hard drive.

I'm not sorry, my world is better for it, more power to FTX!

Frank

Hi Archie!

I also am a Cairns boy from Earlville.

Want to catch up for a Coffee and chat one of these days?

I also am looking forward to GREEN as well as Bungo's Townsville scenery. It looks GREAT. Maybe we can have him to have a go at Cairns?

All the best and get in touch!

Skype name is rapture777

G'day rap777,

check your PM's mate!  ;)

Archived