Water texture at Cairns

Rob Abernathy

Hmm cant recall it ever looking like that, have you altered the water color with REX or FSWC? or are you using the inland brown water tweak? or running Jesus's shader3 mods? or anything other than the normal?

From memory that should be a photoreal area.. need to ask Jarrad

Cheers

Tim

Not running DX10 here.  Also noted that I have a shed on my dock when viewed at the same angle as the previous poster.

I am doing some checking on various things as we speak but if someone else knows what might be going on I would love to hear their ideas.

Doing some checking on my end.  No DX10.  Used FSWC but have reverted back to FSX default.  This didn't change the green color.  I am using REX but the inland water is set at a dark blue.  I don't have a brown water tweak (actually, where would this be if I do?), and I know I'm not using the Shader 3 Mod.  Flying just North of Cairns the rivers, etc look blue again.  Ocean textures in the vicinity look ok as well.  It's just the river delta area and water just offshore of Cairns that is the green color, plus a lake to the South of the airport.

OK, I now have an amazing looking Cairns!  FSWC set to default FSX for now.  Created a new REX theme but didn't touch the original water settings and loaded it up.  I am using the embseries mod but turning in on or off has no effect on the water per se.

Now this is what I'm talking about!    ;D

Posted Image

Hi,

I'm out of town till Monday or I'd answer your PM about my settings.  My REX was set to Deep Inland Bllue, not sure about the other settings.  What I did was to revert back to default FSX settings in my FSWC program, then create another theme in REX and load it up.  After that the water looked good again.  I then opened FSWC and changed the water to several preset favorites on the list and they all worked fine.  It may have just been my REX settings in the first place and not FSWC.  Hope; this helps.    I used the latest REX settings that Iain posted a few days ago for one of his great screenshots.

Cheers

OK, I don't have Paul Wheelers FS Water Configure program installed. So its only REX that I can change.  I did try a new theme and my ocean water and reefs are fine by me but the river is still showing a strong dirty colour.  I did notice in your last screenshot there was a hint of a different texture colour in the river as compared to the water surrounded by the wharf's.  I suspect I have a texture that is enhancing that shaded area.

I will play around with REX some to see if I can lighten it up a little.

Hi Guys,

What setting do you have your water in FSX? If you have it too low you will get a brownish tinge as this is the way our rivers tend to look although many think they should be blue. We suggest at least a setting of "Low 2" which will dilute the brown texture.

G'day Bryan,

What you are seeing is pretty much correct. If you lower your settings the colour will be even more drastic. Unfortunately due to constraints within FSX we can only select certain colours & also as water is treated as landclass placement covering about 1.2 sq klm it is difficult to achieve the exact placement for a river mouth. The question gets raised quite a bit from time to time re the colour of rivers & mouth outflows as many simmers expect the water to look blue as per default. In reality & especially here in Australia our rivers take on a definite brownish colour from all the sediment in them I believe.

To tone the colours further I suggest you either continue to experiment with REX settings or get a copy of FSWC & use it to change your colours.

Excellent Ross, this is what I was looking for.  Quite frankly I actually like the representation, rivers with silt in them or whatever would merge with the ocean and might have a look similar to what is being represented.

I note also that my inland water is looking very natural, the rivers north of Cairns are looking mostly bluish with some grey silty colour away from the ocean so I think those textures are fine.

I will do some more tinkering to see if I can lighten the contrast some more as you say but otherwise you have helped me understand that this is what was intended.  Thanks.

Archived