Shatered confidence an freeware 1.2 story

buggerup

Friday afternoon, works finnished for the week, I have loaded up the new 1.2 freeware upgrade. Check supplies : New square bear of Bundy rum, hostie organised to bring toasted sanwiches, wee tune beasty tunned, track IR set, ASX loaded with real world weather, FS host running, check!  Wac charts wiz wheel and ruler, check! Ok review the manual get som directions, ready to go.

Set the sim time for about 11am and start at redcliffe. After about 40 minutes of touring around YRED doing what could only be described as giggling like a school girl! (Mango just stunning work m8 you are allready a master craftsman.) Its time to move on. Weather in Brissy yesterday afternoon was marginal to say the least but this is a sim not real life so just go for it.

Set course for Allora, just set up to go to Warick and follow the directions. Outside of brissy the weather is better so on with sky blue radio sit back soak up the scenery start with a couple celebratery rums. I felt like celebrating because earlier in the day i had signed up for an RA students licence, finnally bit the bullet its something i just have to do!. Hey look  Boonah airfield is the freeware, thats where i want to do my trainning, well i just need to go there and make it my default flight!

The flight out to Allora was fairly uneventfull rum was good ,found the airstrip and the one at the farm did a touch and go now lets carry on.

Gatton airpark looks good, turn right at Toowoomba and follow the directions. Cool i think thats where the Australian distributer for Rans ultralights works out of. I have a dream of buying one of those Rans S-12XL Airaile's so i had better know where that is.

Once touching down at Gatton airpark another fantastic freeware strip I make the nessessary plans to fly to boonah. The manual has a caution that construction is in progress, maybe they will have some placed heavy machenery or something. Google doesn't show any construction! never mind pehaps FTX is more up to date.

By this stage the rum has taken hold, the courage has increased. I'm all over this navigation shit! I'm a natural born pilot!

I set the VOR for YAMB calculated a heading and away we go. 5 minutes after departure the VOR fails! WTF! Oh, i remember i set a failure to occure in the instraments after  4 hours about 2 months ago, I must remove that. No problem Amberly has an NDB and i have the charts, carry on.

On reaching YAMB and requesting a class D transition through the airspace. Its a military base and wouldn't want one of those F111's comming out to great me i turne to a heading of 173 set the clock checked the indicated airspeed agaist the ground speed, Boonah here i come.

My low fuel indicater light just came on 10Kilo's of fuel left. Its only 23 miles to YBOA she'll be right!

Study the map, too easy, just follow the road you can't go wrong. Hey whats that! some guy in another 172 fly's past my window doing mach 2, Oh thats right i'm in FShost and unknown plans show up as the 172.

A bit distracted from my new wing man! Low light, Low fuel, where the [Bad Word Replaced: JayKae Auto Replace] is this airstrip! searching, searching, Nope can't see the the tell tail signs. No hangers, cones, socks, Nothing.

Eyes bluring 12:30 PM, cracking laps around what i'm sure is Boonah, where the hell is it! How could I get it so wrong. Oh help i'm lost, drunk and confused! No fuel! How am i ever going to get an ultralight licence if i can't even find the field that i'm going to do my trainning at! Bugger it all to hell, limp back to Amberly with my tail between my legs and land at the military base. Hang on i'll bet those MP's are going to have a field day with some pissed wannabe pilot. This is going to hurt!!!!

I staggered off to bed totally deflated Thanks ORBX! thanks alot!

I awoke this morning determined to find out what when wrong. Loaded up at YAMB, followed the directions carefully. Oh now it all becomes clear!! I know now what you ment by under construction!

After about 40 minutes i noticed something that looked a bit stange, Like aircraft shadows on the ground and a strip of sorts. That must it!! Ya I found it, no placed objects just photo real scenery! No wonder i couldn't find it. I hope the real field is a bit easier to find or i have no hope of ever becoming a pilot.

Thanks team for making FSX as real as it can get! I love this scenery I'm glad i shelled out the clams to be able to run FSX. I have you guys to thank for me finnally taking the plung into getting a licence. Hopefully now i'm on my way of not becomming another grey haired nomade in a caravan, but rather a dashing older gentleman travelling to flyins in his own plane. ;D ;D ;D

Cheers everyone hope you liked the yarn.

Buggerup.

You need the VTC for the area, Buggerup.  Aratula YAUL and Aratula Farm are very close to YBOA (6NM).

I laid that PR down months ago.  TonyA is the mdl-builder and designer of the FS9 Scenery and will re-mdl this one, too.

Maybe, locate temporarily to YAUL until YBOA re-opens?

Or even YGAS Gatton Air Park.  There's Helidon, Ripcord, Forest Hill, Forest Hill Farm and others very close.

;D

ROFLMAO ! Been there! Done that!  Low on fuel, where's that d*mn strip ? It's right here on the map, where is it! ???  !!  Oh bleep, theres an empty paddock, looks pretty level, no gas to speak of, put down in the farmer's field and call for a gas truck to drive over from the bloody field I can't find!  A little rum ALWAYS  helps the process !  Buggerup, this sounds soo familiar! Loved your story, thanks!

Sue  :D

;D

ROFLMAO ! Been there! Done that!  Low on fuel, where's that d*mn strip ? It's right here on the map, where is it! ???  !!  Oh bleep, theres an empty paddock, looks pretty level, no gas to speak of, put down in the farmer's field and call for a gas truck to drive over from the bloody field I can't find!  A little rum ALWAYS  helps the process !  Buggerup, this sounds soo familiar! Loved your story, thanks!

Sue  :D

I hope your talking about in the sim :-)

I can imaging the call to the gas truck.

"Hi, I would like to order some 100LL, I am in a paddock."

"No worries, um, which paddock?"

"I don't know! Just look for a paddock with an aircraft in it!"

:-)

Steven.

;D

Lets see now, if I pause the sim, I can climb out on the wing to pour the rum in the tank, right?

Nah, waste of good rum ! (probably make the monitor sticky too ! ) Land in the paddock... call the virtual fuel truck !

LOL

Sue

Archived