A good CESSNA 172

AndreaD

There is no heading bug in the Carenado and its enough for me to fly the default . The default is fine , pick up a paint job over at Ozx and there is freeware engine sounds around . In my opinion the default has a good cockpit and because of the bug more functional.

There is no heading bug in the Carenado and its enough for me to fly the default . The default is fine , pick up a paint job over at Ozx and there is freeware engine sounds around . In my opinion the default has a good cockpit and because of the bug more functional.

The majority of C172's in the real world do not have an autopilot. This is why the Carenado C172 does not have an autopilot. It is pretty much what you would rent at your local airport or flight school.

The FSX version isn't realistic in that it doesn't represent what you would find at a local flight school. Some do have autopilots or glass cockpits but that is very rare and more expensive rental rates. The Carenado C172 is pretty much the same aircraft I've ever rented.

Whilst l love the Carenado C172 compared to the FSX version,  the lack of an autopilot (even as an add-on) is a real dissappointment, especially on long VFR flights.  It's just a pity this is not offerred as a option.

With some extremely simple panel.cfg mods, you could add an autopilot to any panel as a pop-up.

1. Add this as the last Window under [Window Titles] and change the XX to the next window number

WindowXX=Autopilot

i.e.

[Window Titles]

Window01=Main Panel

Window02=Autopilot

2. Add this after the last Window[xx] and rename xx as the next number in sequence (should match the WindowXX you added already to the [Window Titles] section).

[WindowXX]

Background_color=0,0,0

size_mm=161,48

window_size_ratio=1.000 

position=0

visible=0

ident=80

window_size= 0.500, 0.500

window_pos= 0.000, 0.000

gauge00=Bendix_king_radio!Bendix-King Radio AP,  0,0,161,48

Hope this helps anyone who really wanted to add a autopilot to a plane. You can substitute any gauge for the Bendix-King AP as long as you know the gauge string to add, and just like this you can add anything else to an aircraft like a GPS.

Added to the panel cfg , in my case added a [window 17] + the window titles thing .  ...then what ? I took the Carenado 172 up and wondered how to bring the AP up,  so I ran through the shift 1, shift 2 etc with no luck ..... ?

Added to the panel cfg , in my case added a [window 17] + the window titles thing .  ...then what ? I took the Carenado 172 up and wondered how to bring the AP up,  so I ran through the shift 1, shift 2 etc with no luck ..... ?

Alan,

If it is indeed Window 17 then you will have to access it from the Views->Instrument Panel menu from the top alt menu. After the ninth window you are limited to accessing it via the menu unless you were to replace window 1-9 with this one in the panel.cfg by changing the numbers around. Simply take whatever window is 02 and swap both the [Window Titles] number and [WindowXX] number and you will have swapped them for easier access.

To add a heading indicator to the newly created window, replace the new [Window17] entry with this one, it will put a heading indicator directly under the AP to use as a heading bug;

//------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Window17]

Background_color=0,0,0

size_mm=161,147

window_size_ratio=1.000 

position=0

visible=0

ident=80

window_size= 0.250, 0.250  //Edit these to change size of window, i.e. 0.500, 0.500 would be double the size of this

window_pos= 0.000, 0.000

gauge00=Bendix_king_radio!Bendix-King Radio AP,  0,0,161,48

gauge01=Cessna!Heading_Indicator,  0,48,100,99

//------------------------------------------------------------------------------

;):);)

An example of what you should see upon bringing up the window.

Posted Image

You da MAN !!  :D    it looks primitive , but hey , I gots me a bug ! 

Cheers Phil , haven't heard from you for some time , hope they not picking your brains out too much . Have a great holiday season .

Oh, would that cfg entry suite other aircraft ?

Glad to help Alan!

That config should work with any plane you want to add it to, I should add that if you are using a widescreen monitor like I am, you can change the horizontal size of the heading indicator so it doesn't look so... oval. Just make the following change:

On this line, change the underlined numbers to 80.

gauge01=Cessna!Heading_Indicator,  0,48,100,99

If you wanted to add anything else you can, as long as you know the gauge name and want to fidget around with sizing them. Just make sure you make a backup of your original panel.cfg before playing around with it to avoid reinstalls of your aircraft... speaking from experience...er....lots of experience.

Another alternative (what I use) for making and editing these windows is the excellent FS Panel Studio: http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=FSP-ESD-001

Merry Christmas!

Im sorry, but i quite don't understand... Why not just fly the default cessna, if you're going to break the realism anyway?  ??? I don't like the default one becouse its not really realistic, with autopilot and stuff you wouldn't see on a real Cessna 172.

Im sorry, but i quite don't understand... Why not just fly the default cessna, if you're going to break the realism anyway?  ??? I don't like the default one becouse its not really realistic, with autopilot and stuff you wouldn't see on a real Cessna 172.

Default Cessna 172 in training videos...

http://www.undaerocast.com/?p=86

http://www.undaerocast.com/?p=65

http://www.undaerocast.com/?p=81

The rentals at our local club/school include the 172S fully loaded.

http://www.calgaryflyingclub.com/aircraft.html

if your going to bugger around with  your gyro then just fine another aircraft that has what you seek and copy the instrument name from it's panel.cfg to the Carenado one.

Better still learn to fly a heading with aileron and rudder trim and set your Gyro card to the desired heading and keep track of it and your magnetic compass.

It's not hard and with a little practice you will get quite good at it.

Archived