Oil Shortage

}SkOrPn--7

A lot of folks can't understand how we came to have an oil shortage here in

Australia.

Well, there's a very simple answer.

Nobody bothered to check the oil. We just didn't know we were getting low.

The reason for that is purely geographical.

Our OIL is located in:

*        Bass Strait,

*        East Queensland Shale Fields,

*        Canning Basin,

*        Perth Basin, and

*        North-West Continental Shelf.

Our DIPSTICKS are located in Canberra!!!

Any Questions ???

NO?

I didn't Think So!

Most authorities, including the Saudis themselves, accept that there is no oil shortage. The oil price is being driven by speculation in oil futures. Increasing supply will have minimal impact on what is essentially a failure of regulation. Until fairly recently, it was illegal to speculate (gamble) on the price of oil, but then a new mechanism was found that circumvented existing legislation and the flight of capital from the sub-prime crisis in the US landed squarely in oil, leading to massive price rises that are in no way justified by fundamentals. Unfortunately for the motorist (all of us) the US administration seems unwilling or unable to stop this trade.

On the bright side, raising the price of oil is exactly what we need if we are going to address global warming. In my view, as a research scientist with 30+ years experience, global warming is the main game. Nothing else (war, economics, you name it) threatens the the future of mankind to anything like the same extent. (Before the deny-ers jump down my throat, consider this: global warming and even the order of magnitude of the likely temperature rise, was predicted by the Swedish scientist, Arrhenius, as long ago as 1896. It is not a new theory and it is not contested in the scientific community, other than by a few people who the media continues to give airtime to).

Cheers,

Noel

Good point Noel.  Up here in Qld we have a fuel subsidy.  There's talk of taking some tax out of fuel at a Federal level to "ease the pain".  Get rid of the subsidy and keep the Federal taxes and use the money to invest in the environment.  As a taxpayer, I don't want to subsidise people driving obscenely huge vehicles.

Maybe high prices are exactly what we need to switch to an energy source that doesn't stuff up the planet. 

Hahaha, well just filled up this morning at AUD$1.74 /ltr and with my cars' V12 it won't last me long either but all I see at the other pumps is people putting only like $20 in the tank, I suppose in the hope that the price will drop, sad business really, mind you we are not the worst of, the Europeans pay an absolute arm and a leg per litre, I am surprised they have not completely switched to public transport.

On the bright side, raising the price of oil is exactly what we need if we are going to address global warming. In my view, as a research scientist with 30+ years experience, global warming is the main game. Nothing else (war, economics, you name it) threatens the the future of mankind to anything like the same extent.

Cheers,

Noel

Well said and absolutely correct IMHO... I only hope the vast majority of the increasing large take of oil/fuel taxes/levies/charges are actually going into research and development into renewables and alternative sources.  Somehow I don't think so.

Cheers,

I saw a documentary recently on the "Death of the electric car" The Yanks had one which seemed to work great, 300kms on a charge. It would appear that the powers that be had it CANNED they would not let the people who already had them, keep them, they only allowed them to be leased. when the word came down they took them all back, stored em somewhere till the pressure to let people buy them got too much, so they took the cars away and crushed them. I mean litterally destroyed these cars so no one could have them.

It's all documented on film. However they did allow one to survive in a museum.

It kinda makes me feel we will only get something different when they have made as much as they can from the oil they have now????

petrols about $4-5 a litre in london now (according to a docco i saw)

check out "a crude awakening" and "end of suburbia" both great doccos

im one of those $20 ppl *it will go back to 60c a litre i know it , i know it*

How many of us are going to change from oil powered cars to electric (coal powered cars)?  Let's hold off until we get better electricity.  We could always put bags on the back end of cows and recycle the gas - we'd help the ozone layer at the same time. 8)

We do have an answer right now however no one seems to be willing to let them be built

Nuclear Power - And we have the uranium supplies and the know how to do this and to do it SAFELY!

Then Electric cars.

While it is not a complete solution, it would certainly mean a better greenhouse at the end of the day. The cars don't pollute and neither does the power station.

And before any tree huggers out there complain about the nuclear waste, Australia is a  damn big place with some very large holes in it already from mining. We could use one of these places which the diggers had moved from to store this stuff and it would be safe.

Heck, we let some poms many years ago let a bomb off out there...

It would be only a temporary solution. We also have a lot of sunlight. Why doesn't some build a bloody massive array of solar panels in the outback and ship the energy in that way? More Hydro schemes and wind. All would benefit an electric car and the pollution would be quite less than what we currently have.

Biggest problem, getting everyone to fork out the coin to swap over. Bet Rudd would have shipped most of our money off to another country by the time that comes around that their will be no money left in the bank...

We are such a sad lot, really.

While half of us fill up our V12's and V8's and completely ignore the situation, the other half are bitching about the cost of fuel and trying to find somebody to blame.

We all posess the ability to do wonderful and extraordinary feats such as putting a man on the moon (thirty odd years ago) yet we will sit back and watch our air choke us and our water dwindle away and hope that someone will save us.

Only one person can save us!

It is YOU!  and You! and probably me.

Alternatives are out there, we know it but it is inconvenient to drive an electric car.......honestly, what a farce!!!!

Let's go back to flying our flight sims! At least the engines in my Flight Sim 737 don't produce any pollution.

Hang on , I may have something there..............

0.02c

Frank

I am aware of that I am part of the problem and I have no excuse for it, my car uses a helluva lot more than most general cars, in my prior post I was not complaining, I was observing reality for others. If someone would make a car that is as luxurious as mine ( yes, I know that sounds arrogant ) I would be quite happy to switch to something like that but as long as that does not happen..... At least the manufacturer of my car is serious about the fuel cell and other alternative means of fuel and me buying the car that I did pays for at least a little bit of the development cost of such projects :)

Archived