PNW/PFJ texure problem

Vora

After buying PFJ and TongassX I revisited NA after a long stay in downunder when I stumbled about this texture problem: some textures do not blend with other textures, namely rock, snow and water textures. I never had this problem before.

Posted Image

This happens in PNW and PFJ. What can it be?

In FTX Central I switched to FSX default and went back to NA again... no joy.

My scenery settings are maxed out except for autogen (very dense) and I use DX10 preview mode. I use REX 2.0, no UTX Canada or Alaska.

My computer specs are in the last line of my signature.

Best,

Volker

Just a thought, but I was doing a flight in the PNW on the edge of snow and rain.  The textures were changing from winter to fall as the temp changed.  Is there any chance you did a flight in real weather with the temps near freezing causing the textures to switch from one set to the other in certain parts?

Hallo Volker,

the sharp edges you see on land are intended because they represent real-world hard edges, like forestry clearcuts and other forest openings. Especially the latter have snow cover longer than the surrounding forests so they stand out more this time of the year. If you look on Google Earth/Maps in an area with winter coverage you'll see what I mean.

The only issue I see in your screenshot is that dark area beneath you aircraft. I bet it moves along with you if you look at it zoomed out in top-down view mode. If this was over land I'd say it's a replacement "grass texture" (detail1.bmp), which has been discussed in several threads in this forum. However, I'm not sure whether that texture is active over water too; a quick test would be to uncheck "Land detail textures" in the FSX display settings menu.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks for the replies, Kilstorm and Holger. The clearcuts can in fact be easily mistaken for "anomalies", but that was not the problem (really, Vancouver Island is littered with those clearcuts... a sad view for me treehuggin' Kraut!).

Anyway...  Problem solved!

AddonConverterX from FlightSimTools.com was the mysterious culprit here.

To reiterate the problem (since my first pic was too compact, obviously):

In PNW, PFJ and TongassX the snow/rock/water textures did not blend properly as seen below:

Posted Image

I did some cross-checks with FSX default, UTX/GEX combo and FTX AUS (I actually found snowcapped mountains in Oz, YAY!), but there were no problems there. Since switching between the modes in FTX Central requires to shut down FSX I did some "ctrl-c" after which I noticed that FSX wouldn't shut down properly. At one instance Win7 actually threw an error message identifying AddonConverterX.exe as the reason. After uninstalling that rascal all looks as it should look again:

Posted Image

I really don't know why FTX NA was affected but FTX AUS wasn't. Hmpf

Anyway Holger, god of all that is FS large region, thanks for your wonderful scenery.

I can now calmly look forward to NRM .. and SRM ... and NorCal ... and NZ north ... and SoCal ... and NZ south .. and... whoah holy crap!

Kindest,

Volker 

Archived