Highmemfix=1

Bassman

This .cfg entry I believe re-routes some load from CPU to GPU ???

As you can see I have a fairly basic system. Using Task Manager processes I can see four graphs one for each CPU (I presume a Core 2 Quad has 4 CPU's or Cores???). The 1st two graphs hardly rise up whilst the last two graphs pretty well max out. The Task manager further advises that when I am flying around Coffs Harbour in a default Cessa 172,  the total CPU usage only gets to ~52%. To me that means I have ~48% of the resource unutilised.

So question is, does XP use all four CPU's, if so, should I remove the Highmemfix entry so that in fact I leave the load with the CPU thus freeing up GPU resources ??? and would that then improve frame rates??? and furthjer if that is so, can one re-route some loaf from the GPU to the CPU i.e. a reversal of the Highmemfix effect???

I am not too technically minded with the why's and wherefore's of computers, just interested in FSX, so question is probably not too logical, but I don't know.

Cheers  VH-DAN

Bassman have you tried to set your AffinityMask to 14 to force the load to the last three cores of your CPU and used the Highmemfix=1?

Even though the AffinityMask tweak tells FSX to use the last three cores FSX will still use Core0 (the first core) to load ground textures. If you set your Fiberframefraction to .50 the first core will use half of every cpu cycle to load scenery.

This is according to a former FSX developer Phil whats-his-name.

Its the way I've been running my sim for awhile and it works great for me.

To be put somewhere in the cfg:

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=12

...or 14, 12 reduces to usage of two cores, but core 0 still running threads, so still three cores. Some times less is more, seems to work for me, it´s supposed to reduce thread collisions (whatever that is exactly, it´s a boo boo on your system, that´s all I know ::))

Bjorn

i find the the highmemfix=1 tweak fix my grahpic issues with planes and building not being in the picture,when they are surpose to be,as for performance,there was no increase for me hope that helps mate,and while im here hello to phil (pmanhart)how have you been mate? :)

i find the the highmemfix=1 tweak fix my grahpic issues with planes and building not being in the picture,when they are surpose to be,as for performance,there was no increase for me hope that helps mate,and while im here hello to phil (pmanhart)how have you been mate? :)

I used to experience problems with transparent AI aircraft and/or missing buildings particularly the terminal building at Hervey Bay. With regards to the aircraft problems what I wold experience would normally be to have the complete exterior body of the plane missing and would see the wheels cockpit and pilot - is this the smae as you would experience?

I've recently added the highmemfix=1 in my config and this seems to have cured this problem for me although ATM, I'm not sure if I've lost some performance somewhere.  :(

Hey there timmo! I've been away for awhile, and only visiting the forums once a day, posting every other day, because I was working a terrible schedule at work. But that is all coming to an end now, so back to the grind of the Orbx Forums for me. :)

To be put somewhere in the cfg:

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=12

...or 14, 12 reduces to usage of two cores, but core 0 still running threads, so still three cores. Some times less is more, seems to work for me, it´s supposed to reduce thread collisions (whatever that is exactly, it´s a boo boo on your system, that´s all I know ::))

Bjorn

Remove the AM tweak and use taskman to see how your cores are doing.  Notice that core 0 is at 100%.  Then with AM=14 notice that core0 stays around 60-70%.  This is good because since core0 is the primary thread manager, it should not get bogged down to keep  the other cores busy and running smoothly.

jja

These worked for me:

[Main]

DisablePreload=1

[GRAPHICS]

HIGHMEMFIX=1

ForceFullScreenVSync=1

ForceWindowedVSync=1

ALLOW_SHADER_30=1

SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=9872430 // This is shader mod 3 by Jesus Bojote : downloaded the latest version with included installer from: http://www.venetubo.com/sha3mod.zip

[sCENERY]

SmallPartRejectRadius=2

[TERRIAN]

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=1500

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=800

IMAGE_PIXELS_FOR_AUTOGEN_POLYGONS=16

[bufferPools]

RejectThreshold=98304

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=14

----------------------------

Bufferpools RejectThreshold command with jobshceduler will offload the cpu and use GPU

I actually saw this happen in my rig.. All i have is a default i930 @ 280 see sig for full h/w profile.. all addons working perfect wil nearly all checks enabled accept for cars, taxis, boats ships etc.. all these at values around 5. Even the Detailed Cloud setting to low as I have REX2.0 installed which is just magnificant.

Note: that with a GTX480 above settings work great..

Please Refer to -----  http://forum.avsim.net/topic/283061-bojotes-fsxcfg-file/    --- for FSX.cfg tweaks etc..

Cheers,

Mario

First off, thanks to all for your valuable insights.

"If you set your Fiberframefraction to .50 the first core will use half of every cpu cycle to load scenery".  I presume this is a good change ???

"Bufferpools RejectThreshold command with jobshceduler will offload the cpu and use GPU".  Am I not trying to do the reverse of this? i.e. use as much CPU as possible to free up GPU for grapics? Is that not why we buy as much CPU Ram as we can afford and basically keep GPU's to ~1 - 1.5GB Ram ???

Above is probably just confirming my ignorance. :-[

Cheers

Dan

"If you set your Fiberframefraction to .50 the first core will use half of every cpu cycle to load scenery".  I presume this is a good change ???

"Bufferpools RejectThreshold command with jobshceduler will offload the cpu and use GPU".  Am I not trying to do the reverse of this? i.e. use as much CPU as possible to free up GPU for grapics? Is that not why we buy as much CPU Ram as we can afford and basically keep GPU's to ~1 - 1.5GB Ram ???

Above is probably just confirming my ignorance. :-[

Cheers

Dan

I don't know the reasons exactly, but I would assume that given FSX is known to be processor power hungry that the intention is to off-load more of the graphics related work into the GPU (i.e. what it's intended for) and in doing so freeing up some processor time for other processes?

It's half of every cpu cycle of the first core only, not all cores, sorry about not mentioning that! :)

Hey there timmo! I've been away for awhile, and only visiting the forums once a day, posting every other day, because I was working a terrible schedule at work. But that is all coming to an end now, so back to the grind of the Orbx Forums for me. :)

Hi Phil,

Good to see you back!

Kind regards,

Thanks Stephen, it's great to get back into the hobby full-tilt.

Archived