[ANSWERED]Lancair pulls to the left

Jimmy UK

Hi all,

Made up with the Lancair it is a superb bit of kit and a fantastic copy of it.  A question, does the Lancair pull to the left during flight because I have to keep steering to the right a little to keep her straight.  Just wondered if this is the true characteristics of the bird or have I got a problem.

Thanks very much guys

Jimmy

Hi Jared,

What a magnificent plane you have created I must say and thankyou for the input.  I will trim as required and see how that goes but does this mean question being answered as it is normal characteristics for the Lancair to slightly pull to the left during flight.  Basically is it a problem of mine or normal behaviour.  Jared once again, what a craft my friend ;).

Cheers

Jimmy

My Lancair flies perfectly straight, well, in still air that is.  In turbulence (I always set some turbulence in FSX) it needs to be constantly corrected unless the a/p is engaged (just like the real world plane would).  It pulls to the left on takeoff, that is superbly modelled.

So, if yours is pulling to the left, check the following:

Is your joystick calibrated perfectly?  All trim tabs centred?

Have you built a flight from the welcome screen selecting the Lancair, so no traces of others modelling is in the RAM to affect the flight model?

If problem persists, uncheck the joystick and fly with the keyboard, that shouuld let you know if it's the hardware or the software.

Thanks for the reply John, since your reply I have solved my problem (well I think anyway).  I looked into the load distribution and discovered the left hand wing was loaded with 47.5 gallons of fuel compared to the right hand wing which is loaded with 45.5 gallons of fuel, so i decreased the left hand wing to suite the right and she flies nice and straight now.  Is that the correct amount as default that I have altered or am I right to have corrected the quantities.

Many thanks

Jimmy

One wing has a greater quantity because the speedbreak asymmetric controller is on one side

Would that cause a natural pull to the left then Jared (in real life terms), as I say I don't have any issues when I decrease the fuel in the L/H wing to match the R/H.

Thanks

Jimmy

Been experimenting with the fuel load on the Lancair, and shifting weight does effect flight dramatically.  Does the Lancair's extra fuel in the L/H wing compensate for the speedbrake weight in the R/H wing correctly.  The only way I get her to fly straight on a clear unturbulent day is by evening the fuel load in each wing to exactly the same amount.  Am I only one with this anomaly, or is it just that FSX isn't smart enough to compensate for the weight of the speedbrake in the R/H wing to cancel out the extra weight of fuel in the L/H wing.  In basic terms should my Lancair try to fly to the left slightly, set up as default with a perfectly calibrated controller and also on a fine unturbulent day.

Many Thanks

Jimmy

Hi Jared,

So you have had to set the trim aswell I take it, does this have to be done on the real aircraft I wonder.  I have been using ctrl +4 or +6 num keys to set trim.  I have found the sweet spot for her and she is fine and straight even with the diferences in quantity of fuel per wing, so I now leave them at default quantities. 

Thankyou so much for the support Jared it is apreciated mate.  What a wonderful Aircraft the Lancair is, brilliant job.  In my opinion it is without any doubt in my mind, the best aircraft I have ever flown on FSX ;).  Really, really enjoying it so a big thankyou :)

Cheers

Jimmy

So you have had to set the trim aswell I take it, does this have to be done on the real aircraft I wonder.

RW Every bout 10 mins of flight you would have to make an adjustment to ballance the wing. unlike normal aircraft the entire area of the wing is wet(obviously with the exception of the speedbrakes, flap bay and winglet. therefore fuel ballance is essential! The SP will be further increasing realisim by providing a new custom coded fuel selector that is only left, right or off which will further complicate the process since the fuel tanks will have to be switched regularly. This is a limitation of the RW aircraft that i wanted to include in the FS version but didn't get time.

Also, Thanks for the kind words ;D

Hi

I had also been having problems with the Lancair not responding correctly on the left aeriolon. I found that when calibrating in FSCUIP the zero point had been removed to zero. When rezeroed a center point of 512 (approx) was put in and the plane is now perfect. Before recalibration the yoke was to the extreme left all the time, as has been suggested above use the keyboard commands to see if your yoke is the problem.

Ken  :)

The RW trim is on the stick hat switch. I set it up on my hardware to be the same but due to the skinned animation of the stick the mousereact isn't present for it. (FSX BUG) So i reccomend using the keys you have set up on your keyboard or grab track ir so you can free up your hat switch.

Got it, I never noticed the trims because the first thing I've been doing upon entering the cockpit is to eliminate the stick so I can see the VM1000. Thanks

RW Every bout 10 mins of flight you would have to make an adjustment to ballance the wing. unlike normal aircraft the entire area of the wing is wet(obviously with the exception of the speedbrakes, flap bay and winglet. therefore fuel ballance is essential! The SP will be further increasing realisim by providing a new custom coded fuel selector that is only left, right or off which will further complicate the process since the fuel tanks will have to be switched regularly. This is a limitation of the RW aircraft that i wanted to include in the FS version but didn't get time.

Also, Thanks for the kind words ;D

Archived