Turboprop startup

Rimshot

Hey folks,

Unfortunately I encounter a weird problem with the Cessna Caravan by Carenado. Most of the times when I startup the engine the plane rolls forward with considerable speed, despite the fact that the parking brake is engaged. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I follow the checklist by the letter. Come to think of it, in the past I also had this problem with the Flight1 PC-12, so it happens with turboprop planes. Has anyone ever had this? And if so, how did you get it solved?

Don't know about the Caravan, but I have the PC-12, and yes it does happen on that plane too. I haven't flown it in a long while, but if memory serves, it's all down to the amount of "prop" you put in when you start. Bring the prop way back, and use a tiny amount on the mixture until the revs die down. This, I'm sure, is what I used to do. I found the manual says set your mixture "there", and it was too much. Slide it back a bit from what the manual says, and basically do a bit of trial and error until you get it right. Once you've made a successful start, where the plane doesn't shoot off like a dragster, make a note of the mixture and prop conditioners positions.

Most of the times when I startup the engine the plane rolls forward with considerable speed, despite the fact that the parking brake is engaged

I have this problem with the Turbine Toucan, except that instead of 'rolling forward at considerable speed' it usually takes off and enters a near-vertical climb! The FSD honchos tellme it is because the FSX turboprop model is incorrect, and specifically the startup. I don't have the Caravan but in the Toucan, the condition lever advances automatically to full in the startup sequence, which is not what the checklist says. If you search for the Toucan thread at Sim-Outhouse or go look at the FSD support forum there is a slightly more involved technical explanation of this. Not sure how true it is, but it sounds convincing.

Yes, I noticed this a long time ago and it's very irritating but I have found a way around it that seems to work very well albeit moving away slightly from realism...

• Set wheel brake on.
  • Mixture/condition lever(s) to cut.
  • All other swicthes etc. to normal position for starting.
  • Commence the start-up sequence as normal but leave the condition/mixture lever(s) on cut.
  • Finally when everything is switched on and trying to start slowly move the condition/mixture levers forward and then engine should start without your plane running away across the airfield or spinning around in circles if it's a twin+.

I know this probably does follow the correct procedures for engine starts but it's less frustrating that trying to stop and run-away plane. Seems to work fine for me anyway.  ;)

Bert

This does happen with quite a few add-on planes and the only method that I have found that works is to recalibrate the various axes (throttle(s), mixture(s), prop(s) via Windows and/or FSUIPC (and/or the 3rd party software, eg CH Manager, Saitek SST, Logitech G940, etc). 

It happen recently with the flight 1 Mustang and by the time I had pressed the "pause" button I had demolished several buildings and was 4 miles away in the middle of a field.

It is almost like the earlier default settings have been overridden by the new plane. 

And yes, it may not work first time either for some aircraft and unfortunately it may not work period. :)

PeterH

(Resisting the tempation to sign off with my alter ego alias aka Jamaican Steel Band!)

they're not mixture knobs in turboprops!!!  :P They're called condition levers.  They are used to control the fuel supply.  When starting set them to the idle/cutoff setting.  This will control the engine idle speed so that when you start it up it won't get away on you.

played around with it last night.

on the twin otter and default 208 I have figured out how to not take off when starting the engines.  Pull the fuel condition lever all the way back.  start the engine.  when it starts to turn...just crack the condition lever.  It'll smoke a bit then start.  Once the engine has stabilized you can push the lever full forward and not worry about taking off.

played around with it last night.

on the twin otter and default 208 I have figured out how to not take off when starting the engines.  Pull the fuel condition lever all the way back.  start the engine.  when it starts to turn...just crack the condition lever.  It'll smoke a bit then start.  Once the engine has stabilized you can push the lever full forward and not worry about taking off.

I said that about 6 posts up hehe.  ;)

Or follow the standard procedures as in the operating handbook then you dont have to try all funny methods with condition levers etc.....

The trick is in the start button that have to be switched OFF:

Once you press start watch NG to go past 52 and then Switch OFF the starter and you will not takeoff... Most press the starter but forget not to switch OFF the starter. It is literally 2-3 seconds then it wil go past 52% and then you have click the start button OFF again. If you dont it will grind all hell out of the engine trying to keep repeating the startup and you will take off.. In rw you will burn out the engine and ignite a fire

Try it, it work 100% if you go according to pilot operating handbook.

Archived