Weird Water ????

calum438

Hi Calum,

I had some time ago, exactly the same problem. It is clearly a problem of mixing SM3.0 definitions with SM2.0 ones. Check FSX.cfg entries, shader definitions in FSX and corresponding Waterconstants.xml.

Bruno

Similar problems here.

Turned out to be FSWC combined with the Shader 3 folder contents.

Re-installed the textures from the backup in FSWC and all is now ell.

Andy b

Hi calum,

sorry, i do not read the forum every day.

Here is, what I have done to restore FSX to Shader Model 2.0

1) Check FSX.cfg for entries referring to Shader Model 3.0 and delete it; resp. make it ineffective (attachment)

2) Delete or rename in Microsoft Flight Simulator X directory "ShadersHLSL" folders for SM3.0 and activate FSX original "ShadersHLSL" folders (attachment)

3) Delete or rename file "WaterConstants.xml" for SM3.0  in FSX main directory and activate FSX original "WaterConstants.xml" (attachment)

Then, you have your usual water appearance again can use FSWC too.

Bruno

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sorry Bruno for the FSX.CFG bit this is what I have:

[GRAPHICS]

SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693428480

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096

NUM_LIGHTS=8

AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1

AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1

COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1

LANDING_LIGHTS=1

AC_SELF_SHADOW=1

EFFECTS_QUALITY=2

GROUND_SHADOWS=0

TEXTURE_QUALITY=3

IMAGE_QUALITY=0

See_Self=1

???

Sorry yet again,

I only have Shaders HLSL no sm3.0

and I only have WaterConstants.xml

:o

Hi

I think that Bruno was saying to rename WaterConstants.xml and ShadersHLSL folder  for version 3.0 to .sm3 (just as a backup) before restoring those from FSWC

In your fsx.cfg you already have only the lines for version 2

The following are bojote's instructions to enable version 3 so perhaps you should add only the SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=  line with a different number to force a recompilation  when you revert to version 2

2) Edit your fsx.cfg file and add the following lines to enable Shader 3.0 support:

[GRAPHICS]

ALLOW_SHADER_30=1

SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=9872430

The SHADER_CACHE_VERSION above instructs FSX to re-compile the shaders, this number

has to be changed if the ShadersHLSL is modified. The 9872430 is just a random number

you can use ANY number, just remember to change it everytime you update anything INSIDE

your ShadersHLSL folder OR even if you UNINSTALL IT, so the shaders are re-compiled again.

Cheers

Hi Calum,

I can only try to explain, what the reason was, for water problem at my installation. I have installed Shader Model 3.0 by Jesus Altuve.  SM3.0 installation requires FSX.cfg entries, new shader files (ShadersHLSL folder) and new WaterConstants.xml file.  Later on, I installed FSWC and got exactly that water, you are complaining now. Reason is, FSWC uses Shader Model 2.0 and is not compatible with Shader Model 3.0 software.

I removed all SM3.0 definitions (see my post), activated FSX original SM2.0 definitions, got normal water and FSWC is working again. I think you have the choice to restore all settings in FSWC, that have been made by FSWC and then to uninstall it, or to restore all original SM2.0 settings of FSX and to keep FSWC.  Both ways should give you normal water again.

Bruno 

NO !!!  To rename files will not help at all. All files of SM3.0 do exactly have the same "names" as those of SM2.0 and vice versa. What I would do; if have a FSX backup anywhere, where you can take SM2.0 Shader files and waterconstants out, than take it from there and copy it back to your present installation; delete all of the "bad" corresponding files before. If you do not have a backup of original FSX Shader files and waterconstants then reinstall all FSX again. You will have then a clean SM2.0 installation and you can use FSWC again. As long as you don't have a clean SM.2.0 installation, you won't get rid of your problems. 

Archived